Suggestions for Security Plan and Elk Purchase

Sacedog

I'm getting ready to order my Elk M1, and wanted to post my setup to have everyone pick apart. Brandon has already took a look at it, but I thought it never hurts to get a second set of eyes looking at it, and it has changed slighly since then.

I plan on using the Elk for security, and to control my lighting and thermostats. In addition, I would like to use it for some other automation in the future, such as tying into the garage door opener. I plan to home-run all contacts and sensors, with the exception of the smokes, which I now know I cannot install myself (local planning dept REQUIRES 120V smokes). I will probably run wires to one of the smokes, and replace that with the GE 350, which will give me reporting back to the Elk; however, I will not be able to identify the smoke that is going off.

The house is 2 storys, and approximately 4,400 sq ft. I have attached drawings, showing the location of all security-related items.

- (3) CO Detectors
- (13) Door Contacts
- (2) Garage Door Contacts
- (9) Surface Mount Contacts (Gates, Wine Room, Gun Safe, Furnace Filters)
- (1) Combustable Gas Detector
- (8) Glass Break Sensors
- (6) Heat/ROR Sensors
- (3) Keypads
- (10) Motions
- (2) Interior Sirens
- (1) Exterior Siren w/ Strobe
- (8) Smoke Detectors (Although I will only be wiring up one now) :)
- (2) Thermostats
- (12) Water Sensors
- (1) Weigand Reader
- (25) Window Contacts

I plan on purchasing the following items:

- Elk M1GSYS
- Data Bus Hub
- (5) 16 Zone Input Expanders
- Output Expander 8V / 8R
- Ethernet Port
- (3) Serial Expanders (1 for lighting, 2 for thermostats)
- (3) Elk Power Suppplies (P624) (This may be too many now that I do not need to power all of the smokes)
- (4) Power Distribution Modules (PD9) (Should these be a 1-to-1 with the P624?)

If you see any holes in the Elk purchase, please let me know. Also, if you have any suggestions on the security plan for the house, feel free to pick away! :blink:

Attachments

• Visio_Security_Downstairs.pdf
    47.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Visio_Security_Upstairs.pdf
    27.7 KB · Views: 40
I am reminded of the line from Eddie Murphy's 'Delirious'

"Yo man, someone stole yo battry! Let's go get the mother...."

Two things.

First one is easy - just make sure to plan the keypads.

Second thing. I see you have the extra power supplies. I assume it because of the extra devices you are adding that need power. Please keep in mind that if you do use extra power for stuff, make sure to also put a battery on those power supplies. Otherwise, if you lose power, you going to trigger an alarm......

I'm getting ready to order my Elk M1, and wanted to post my setup to have everyone pick apart. Brandon has already took a look at it, but I thought it never hurts to get a second set of eyes looking at it, and it has changed slighly since then.

I plan on using the Elk for security, and to control my lighting and thermostats. In addition, I would like to use it for some other automation in the future, such as tying into the garage door opener. I plan to home-run all contacts and sensors, with the exception of the smokes, which I now know I cannot install myself (local planning dept REQUIRES 120V smokes). I will probably run wires to one of the smokes, and replace that with the GE 350, which will give me reporting back to the Elk; however, I will not be able to identify the smoke that is going off.

The house is 2 storys, and approximately 4,400 sq ft. I have attached drawings, showing the location of all security-related items.

- (3) CO Detectors
- (13) Door Contacts
- (2) Garage Door Contacts
- (9) Surface Mount Contacts (Gates, Wine Room, Gun Safe, Furnace Filters)
- (1) Combustable Gas Detector
- (8) Glass Break Sensors
- (6) Heat/ROR Sensors
- (3) Keypads
- (10) Motions
- (2) Interior Sirens
- (1) Exterior Siren w/ Strobe
- (8) Smoke Detectors (Although I will only be wiring up one now) :(
- (2) Thermostats
- (12) Water Sensors
- (1) Weigand Reader
- (25) Window Contacts

I plan on purchasing the following items:

- Elk M1GSYS
- Data Bus Hub
- (5) 16 Zone Input Expanders
- Output Expander 8V / 8R
- Ethernet Port
- (3) Serial Expanders (1 for lighting, 2 for thermostats)
- (3) Elk Power Suppplies (P624) (This may be too many now that I do not need to power all of the smokes)
- (4) Power Distribution Modules (PD9) (Should these be a 1-to-1 with the P624?)

If you see any holes in the Elk purchase, please let me know. Also, if you have any suggestions on the security plan for the house, feel free to pick away! :)

I would wire up the smoke detectors, flood detectors etc before the burg devices since I have read that homes are more likely to have a fire/flood etc than be burglarized. Also if your home is burglarized your "stuff" can be replaced. People cant be.

We have had a few floods and one fire in my house in 7 years but we have not been burglarized. The fire was a cooking fire (so wife no longer cooks :) ) and we have had a few floods from the washing machine and a few sink drains leak etc.

Just my opinion.

Back