Tablets for automation?

wkearney99

How are folks configuring their 'accounts' for tablets used for home automation?

With the advent of more recent versions of Android there's now support for multiple on-device user accounts.  Anyone using an account just for the home?  Or per-tablet (or other device)?

I'm debating how to approach it.  I'm considering having just one account for the whole house.  This for calendars, notes and the like.  

Some apps have per-instance configuration options.  I could see that while all the tablets might share the same 'house account' they'd each have their own configuration for stuff like intercom or VOIP features.  Otherwise it seems like it'd be a hassle trying to babysit a separate 'house account' for every device.

Anyone blazed this trail yet?

I will be using my wife's account for our Windows 8.1 touch screens, primarily because she's the one that keeps up with the family activities and appointments, I have a separate Administrator account so I don't have to worry about unauthorized software being installed or configuration settings changing.

I prefer to avoid using any of our personal accounts, for various reasons (kids, guests, privacy in general).  That and with Android it's pretty easy to switch between accounts.  Not making any claims on the security of that, other than the opening screen pin code.  But at least it's available, unlike IOS devices.  While windows infrastructure has quite a lot of options, the dearth of apps and price of hardware makes them a bit unrealistic.

On the Windows side of course you can get a full Windows tablet, which just run regular Windows 8, so it has all Windows applications available to it.

Yes, it isn't exactly a cheap option but I went with a 23" touch screen in the kitchen running off of an older laptop in the adjoining closet. For me it is less a tablet and more of a central command center. I will eventually put a second touch screen monitor in the second floor hallway for command and control near the bedrooms.

Here playing a bit with Windows 8.1 for a change to see what its all about. 

Here see that whole WIndows tablet OS and traditional Wintel OS have been combined but separate. I am testing 2 network and 1 wireless connection.  (Gb, POE and the wireless).  I put Neospeech voice fonts on it and it works fine.

Guessing too that Metro automation applications will be around the corner.  Its only running though on a tiny (8") tablet and again I am always trying to fit way too much on the Homeseer touchscreen.

JogW81.jpg

Here though its all just table top automation touch tablets rather than using the wireless tablets for automation.  I mean you can still get to the automation from the  tablet; its just not used.

As dgage mentions I also have one larger capacitance touch screen in one wall in one room of the main floor.  Very thin footprint and easy to mount.

I did purchase two of these for a second one on the second floor.  That said the one on the main floor just runs art / screen savers lately.

Meh, the Metro UI methodology sucks, as does the stupidity that is the latest IOS revision.  Change for change's sake is a waste of everyone's time and money.

I don't do all that much WRT tablets and automation - nothing different than I do on my phone. My wife and I both have iPhones and iPads; we have the same home-based apps on all devices for Elk and our CCTV system.

pete_c said:
Guessing too that Metro automation applications will be around the corner.  Its only running though on a tiny (8") tablet and again I am always trying to fit way too much on the Homeseer touchscreen.
Insteon Hub is there already. http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/77f93ec1-fa24-4f57-95fb-43c25e769f03 I don't know that it's compelling, but I think if you are also developing for Windows Phone (which they did), the work is basically already done and you may as well also release it for PCs in the Metro environment. I'm not sure how much Windows Phone support there is for home automation in general though.

WRT the "Home" account, what I ended up doing was getting a google apps domain for the family - each family member has an account, and we can use and subscribe to the family calendars to get a unified view.  My goal is to eventually have these feed some on-wall screens to help us keep track of who's do where and when, when my wife works, etc - especially with so many kids and their schedules.

I *really* wish the tablets - especially Apple - did a better job with individual user settings.  Apple's utter failure goes even further is how restrictions work - you can't customize them then just turn on/off - once you turn them off you seem to lose all the configuration - so you can't quickly prevent your kids from screwing everything up while they're playing with your phone.  I guess in our case this worked out for Apple - my 3 and 5yr olds each got their own iPad Mini's for their last birthday and they never touch my phone.  Next time I think it'll be Kindle Fires - at least those have better parental controls - they just didn't support the favorite educational app at the time.

As for tablets and smartphones for automation - they're nice when that's all you've got handy - but unless they're powered on and fully connected/synched, it's frustrating having to fire them up, log in, open the app, wait for everything to synchronize - before you can finally do what you want.  I've added several new functions to my Elk lately that lead me to use the smartphone more and it's driving me nuts - I'm about to integrate some more real remotes that just always work instantly.  In the house, I'm looking at tying a ProControl remote into my HA system so that from the bed and the single remote, we can get HVAC, Lighting and Media control - hopefully when things slow down in a few weeks I can start working on that.

Personally a console is a console is a console.  I am not attached to my phone nor a tablet.  I can manage my automation today with whatever I use.  My automation is not OS console dependant; if that makes any sense.

I play with Android, Linux and Wintel "touch" consoles today.  There is i-stuff in the house; but it is off. 

I do like to look at changes/methodologies in touch screen interfaces.  I am looking and playing but not dependent on any one in particular.

I'm about to integrate some more real remotes that just always work instantly.

+1

Work2Play said:
WRT the "Home" account, what I ended up doing was getting a google apps domain for the family - each family member has an account, and we can use and subscribe to the family calendars to get a unified view.  My goal is to eventually have these feed some on-wall screens to help us keep track of who's do where and when, when my wife works, etc - especially with so many kids and their schedules.

I *really* wish the tablets - especially Apple - did a better job with individual user settings.  Apple's utter failure goes even further is how restrictions work - you can't customize them then just turn on/off - once you turn them off you seem to lose all the configuration - so you can't quickly prevent your kids from screwing everything up while they're playing with your phone.  I guess in our case this worked out for Apple - my 3 and 5yr olds each got their own iPad Mini's for their last birthday and they never touch my phone.  Next time I think it'll be Kindle Fires - at least those have better parental controls - they just didn't support the favorite educational app at the time.

As for tablets and smartphones for automation - they're nice when that's all you've got handy - but unless they're powered on and fully connected/synched, it's frustrating having to fire them up, log in, open the app, wait for everything to synchronize - before you can finally do what you want.  I've added several new functions to my Elk lately that lead me to use the smartphone more and it's driving me nuts - I'm about to integrate some more real remotes that just always work instantly.  In the house, I'm looking at tying a ProControl remote into my HA system so that from the bed and the single remote, we can get HVAC, Lighting and Media control - hopefully when things slow down in a few weeks I can start working on that.

Right, so Android 4.4.4 running on a Nexus 7 2013 is pretty good about handling the transition timing.  It cold boots pretty quick, should it ever actually be fully off.  Switching profiles is fast, either from the lock screen or from a drop-down on the top menubar.  

That and users can either be separate or as restrictions of an existing one.  Separate ones seems to entail separate Play store app purchases. 

I've not looked into an apps domain.  How's it been working out?  Especially with regard to app store purchases, how's that handed in an app domain?  Because, convenient as profiles may be, in a home setting users aren't going to want to manage separate purchases across different ones. 

Not sure I agree with 'a console is a console' perspective. 

Yes, there's absolutely something to be said for consistency. Trouble is not all devices all for it.  That and not all situations benefit from it, some likely suffer as a result.  

I think there's more to be said for an overall consistency but with focus on localized needs.  I don't want a touchscreen in a given area to be crippled by being unable to do other things.  Yet there's little point in trying to make them all configured in the same way.  The touchscreen in the guest room need not (and probably should not) have the same range of functions as one in the master bedroom.  Kids rooms likewise.  

This does make for some rather intricate layouts, and tools for such are notoriously difficult to use.  

Nagging in the back of my mind is what I call the 'tyranny of bad tools'.  Lots of things get done in a particular manner not because that's the best way to do it.  Rather it's because the tools used to set it up arbitrarily force things in that direction.    But that's perhaps better suited for another discussion thread...

Work2Play said:
My kids iPod is falling apart and likely needs to be replaced but I refuse on the grounds that Apple hasn't enabled better parental controls such as time limits.

For me I want my wall or home control tablets to be fairly generic "family" management devices. Each person has their own tablet/laptop if they want to do more. Besides, the wall mounted devices will likely only be used for short, quick tasks, which further supports their generic role. I don't see anyone spending more than a few minutes standing up at a wall mounted console when there are computing options where they can sit down and be more comfortable.

Yup; a bit of a throwback (a console is a console perspective) here to using the serial / network cabled Omnitouch screens which are in house only remote consoles that connect to the Leviton HAI OPII panel.  

They do not connect to anything else these days.  They look fine and mostly the LCD displays are off (and they are small).

They have the same look and can be tweaked for individual needs or where they are at in a home.  They just work and I do not play with them.

The little tabletop capacitance touchscreens that I play with were originally made to be telco / energy hubs / kiosks with some internet functions built in (well services; similiar to the Chumby in a way).

I have re purposed these to include automation console functions. 

I have some 20 online sprinkled around the house that are not portable (sort of low on the WAF). More than the number of wireless tablets that I have around the house.

I don't want a touchscreen in a given area to be crippled by being unable to do other things.

Well then you want a wireless tablet and don't want any in wall or tablet top touch screen consoles; eh?

I guess too you can automate your family with each family members tablet if you wanted to.

Relating to Microsoft I like that they combined the OS such that it can be either a tablet / touchscreen OS or an older style keyboard / mouse OS.   I wasn't really ever impressed with MS Tablet (still running it today).

Back