Telephone line distribution hardware

BobS0327

I want to replace an old Leviton 1 to 8 telephone distribution board.  It's a board that has one input from the telco and distributes that input to 8 home phones.  I'm using Cat 3 wiring for the home phones. Each Cat 3 wire is home run to the phone. 

So, I'm looking for wall mounted hardware that can replace this old Leviton board.  Anybody have any suggestions?

Just curious why you're replacing the Leviton board, and what you desire to accomplish?  That may help with specific recommendations.  Things like the Leviton board are still applicable today and available.  If it's just bad, then something like this to replace it would be simple, cheap and effective:  https://amzn.to/2RN421I

In lieu of just a regular Leviton-style board, I'd look at a 66-block or even 110-block but those do require a special punch-down tool - as the Leviton probably does. 

Another option is to use a small patch panel - it can be 6 or 8 pin... then you'd need something like a 1x8 modular splitter.    https://amzn.to/2SRSAip

Just curious why you're replacing the Leviton board, and what you desire to accomplish?

I damaged the input punch down by using a screwdriver insteade of  a punch down tool  to punchdown the wire which damaged the punch down connector to the point where it won't hold the wire.  The wire keeps popping out.  IOW, user error trashed the board.
Do you have an alarm that uses the phone and thus requires the ability to seize the line?
Nope. I just installed a Qolsys panel which uses a dual communicator, cell & internet. Thus, no need to seize the line.

The Leviton 47689-B 1x9 Bridged Telephone Module does look promising.

You also might look at On Q; they have phone related items as well.

If the wiring is accessible in the attic.  I would just go with a 110 panel and terminate the lines on.  Then you just wire(s) that connect all of the like colors together.  Say the phone line is on the blue pairs, all of the 110 punches would have a wire that combines all of the blues together.  This is how it is done in a enterprise with non-VoIP phones for a long time.

So every run to a jack would have its own bridge clip.  So each of your own 8 runs would use its own bridge clip; so you would have 8 bridge clips.  So if you wanted to wire all 4 phone lines, you would need four pieces (pairs) of wire and you would go to the first bridge clip and find the orange and punch it down and then go to the second bridge clip and punch it down to that orange pair, etc.  You would do this for each of the colors.

The Leviton that was previously mentioned; those are 110 bridge clips.  If you don't want to buy the expensive tool; many netkey jacks come with a plastic one.  The good tools can cut the wire during the punch, the cheap tools you need to use a pair of clippers to cut the wire.

Ianbrown - if I were doing my own house, I'd probably do what you are talking about purely out of habit... that said, for this one, I'd recommend the Leviton module... only $20, already bridged in the back, and much cleaner and simpler...

Here installed this module a few years back in the Leviton panel.  Recently neated it up a bit. 

leviton.jpg

Work2Play said:
Ianbrown - if I were doing my own house, I'd probably do what you are talking about purely out of habit... that said, for this one, I'd recommend the Leviton module... only $20, already bridged in the back, and much cleaner and simpler...

That is really all the Leviton is doing is what four cross-connects on a 110 panel would do.  At least with the cross-connects you can decide what jacks have what lines.

pete_c said:
Here installed this module a few years back in the Leviton panel.  Recently neated it up a bit. 

attachicon.gif
leviton.jpg
Pete,  I finally settled on your module.  I like it because it uses RJ45 jacks which allows me to use a patch panel for all my phones.

Good news Bob.

Purchased most of my Leviton Stuff in the early 2000's from Worthington.  Not sure what kind of deal you got on the telco patch panel. 

Here using 3 lines and alarm stuff with it.  Only 3 wires going out of it to one multiple line desk phone and one multiple line Panasonic wireless phone system and still have a FAX machine (multiple function Canon Printer) connected to one line plus alarm panel.  Hybrid sort of telco with copper, VOIP and cellular phone lines.

Good news Bob.

Your endeavor has me updating my Panasonic dual line wireless phones. 

Looking maybe to switch over to this device.  Only thing is that wife likes the old large handsets and these are a bit smaller.

Back