Test INSTEON now or wait?

Bruce L said:
Wow wish I had a Fry's local here, I have tried x10, zwave and UPB and UPB beats them all for flexability and reliablility. At $35 I could add automation that I can't justify with regular UPB pricing. Are the faceplate only white or available in other colors ?
I have a local Fry's here in Las Vegas. I've got to check this out next time I am there. I agree with BruceL if the faceplates aren't included that would kill the deal for me.

I *think* it only comes with a white faceplate as packaged from HAL. But since it is really an SAI switch, you *should* be able to replace it with other color paddles.

Be sure to let us know you experience and take on the BSR! I have a fry's around here (3 actually) but the closet one is about 45 minutes away. So I want to be sure I know what I am getting before we make the drive.

Thanks!

I am getting ready to automate a VERY large home and want to go with Insteon. It sounds like PowerHome is the way to go for installation. Is there a forum for PowerHome where I can learn more? When is the expected date for it to link to with the Elk M1?

If you have PowerHome, is there any need or advantage to also purchasing the upcoming (yet to be released) Smarthome software?

Dave with PowerHome has been working hard on the PowerHome software to get everything working with the M1 through the M1XSP serial port interface. We are in a debugging process now, making sure we have things covered.

I do not know when the PowerHome software will be ready for a release. There will probably be a Beta test period.

My hat is off to Dave with PowerHome in making a user interface that turns Insteon into an easy to install system.

I just went to the PowerHome web site and looked at the Quick Start Guide. It is a little overwhelming! Are there any instructions on using it just for the the Insteon features and something to help a first timer? To be honest, I was lost after reading the Guide!

I know it will do most of what i need, just don't understand how to use it! HELP!

How does, or will, the Smarthome software differ from setting up and linking and will it to work with the Elk?

We have not seen the new Smarthome Software, so can not comment on how it works. It does not integrate with the M1 for lighting programming.

Thanks Spanky....

One topic that was mentioned earlier that will affect my setup is that I will be using the Elk to turn on multiple lights or issue multiple commands without using Groups or Scenes. Will Elk be adding the feature soon to input a delay between commands to reliably control the Insteon switches?

jimspobox: Go to the PowerHome forum and ask any question you want.

There is also a short document that just covers Insteon (phinsteon.rtf).

There are more Insteon tweaks coming in the next beta which should help a bit.

Back