The End is Near for HomeSeer 1.7x

deranged said:
My HS 1.7x installation hasn't been touched in so long I am not sure I could figure out exactly what I did.
I'm in the same boat. I haven't touched it since I upgraded to 1.6.150, and I don't wish to touch it now. It has not given me a single problem in those two years, and I'm the type who will only upgrade when there is a pressing need.

DavidL said:
Don,
Have you tried HS 2.1 yet?  Copy your HS 1.7 install to a spare PC and install .Net and HS2.1 over the top.  Run it.  See what works / doesn't work.  Upgrade all of your plugins to the latest for a fresh start.  Report what works / doesn't work.  I think you will be suprised on how much just works.
Run it in parallel.  Put Watchdog on it to reboot if it takes much cpu / ram or is unresponsive.  Have one PC monitor the other.  Put one on one web port, the other on another so you can always remote in.
This is a pretty conservative way to validate that it will work for you.
Then, you will be up and running on the latest, supported product where all of the next HST and user development will be for.
I have made alot of changes to HS1 and just do not have the time available to spend making all the changes needed for HS2 only to have uptime in days instead of months like I have now. My past experience in using the help desk has not been good.

I travel alot and most of the time only have one weekend a month at home. That is the reason for the HA. When the system is not working, I have no way to fix it for a month. NOT GOOD.

When can I expect to have you ship me the new PC to do the install and for you to spend the time to find and debug the things that don't work?

The distributed speaker app doesn't have a whole lot of appeal to someone who only has one PC that they want it to run on (the HS PC) and already has distributed audio to take care of speech in other locations

There is no GUI and I hate web interfaces.

I'm sure that there are other comments from others that apply to my install that I could keep copying and pasting but this should give you a good idea.

Also like I stated, I am home only one weekend every month. I have other things to do during that very limited time home.

Not trying to be difficult. Just explaining "MY REAL WORLD ENVIRONMENT".

Dean Roddey said:
Actually there are two of us without cell phones, and I'll probably outlast ya.
I don't have a cell phone either. That makes 3 of us.

That is what I have JEANNIE for. She takes care of taking the messages and emailing the important ones to me. The rest just wait until I get back home or take the time to check for voice messages which is not very often.

I don't know about who outlasting whom. I never had a pager either.

Continuing the off-topic cell phone stuff. It took me a long time to get one. I really only got it because of needing to contact people when travelling. I have one of those pay-as-you-go phones and it costs me very little. I rarely ever use it.

I started having my HS machine send messages to the phone because it was free to receive text messages. They've started charging 5 cents a message, so I may cut back. But, it's only a couple messages a week, anyway.

smee said:
Continuing the off-topic cell phone stuff. It took me a long time to get one. I really only got it because of needing to contact people when travelling. I have one of those pay-as-you-go phones and it costs me very little. I rarely ever use it.

I started having my HS machine send messages to the phone because it was free to receive text messages. They've started charging 5 cents a message, so I may cut back. But, it's only a couple messages a week, anyway.
Smee,
How do you sent a message to a cell phone? Is it as simple as emailing the cell phone number?

Rupp said:
How do you sent a message to a cell phone? Is it as simple as emailing the cell phone number?
Yes, you just need to ask your provider for the proper email address. Usually it is just your phone number (or text pager number) at some domain. But the domain is usually not your providers obvious domain. My understanding that sending an email is different than sending an SMS, which just uses a phone number (no domain), but I am no expert on SMS.

Almost NO cel,

I have a cell phone provided by work, so they can find me in an emergency. ( when the phone is on anyway ).

I think it has been used less than 5 minutes every month, even though it is with me almost all the time. I just don't like phones in general, I find talking in person is more relaxing and enjoyable.

StevenE

Back on Topic,

I didn't realize that HS 1.7x still had so many users, glad to hear I am not the only 1 being left behind..

I will probably upgrade to HS 2.X someday..............

StevenE

deranged said:
I didn't realize that HS 1.7x still had so many users, glad to hear I am not the only 1 being left behind..
megapoll3 said:
HomeSeer 1.x [ 8 ]
HomeSeer 2.x [ 15 ]
So you certainly aren't alone here. I have no idea what the ratio is out in the real world or even on the HS message board.

Back