The End is Near for HomeSeer 1.7x

rjh said:
...It is SO much better than 1.7 I really don't know what you're waiting for.

Regards,

Richard Helmke
HomeSeer Technologies LLC
www.homeseer.com
Just the remaining issues with the Stargate plug-in. There seems to be progress so maybe someday soon...

rjh said:
After Dec 31, if anyone needs to re-install their system, we will provide any licensed user with an installer that includes all the plugins from the 1.7 updater.
Is there any chance you could supply instructions for reinstalling/reactivating the plugins we have downloaded and installed already? That way if we need to rebuild at an inconvenient time, we don't need to wait?

WayneW said:
rjh said:
After Dec 31, if anyone needs to re-install their system, we will provide any licensed user with an installer that includes all the plugins from the 1.7 updater.
Is there any chance you could supply instructions for reinstalling/reactivating the plugins we have downloaded and installed already? That way if we need to rebuild at an inconvenient time, we don't need to wait?
I have to agree on having the ability IN ADVANCE to needing it. After the fact is not a good time to getting the reinstall data. Since there has not been any updates to 1.7.44 in a while, it should be fairly easy to get the files now instead of waiting until after the end of the year.

How about everything needed on a CD. I would prefer to have one here so I don't have to scramble to get everything back.

To get either a CD or all the files that I can burn a CD myself, can I just submit a help desk request?

To be really honest Rich, the number of problems that I see on the HS board about the reliability is my main concern in trying HS2 again. I have made alot of changes to HS1 and just do not have the time available to spend making all the changes needed for HS2 only to have uptime in days instead of months like I have now. My past experience in using the help desk has not been good.

I travel alot and most of the time only have one weekend a month at home. That is the reason for the HA. When the system is not working, I have no way to fix it for a month. NOT GOOD.

Don,
Have you tried HS 2.1 yet? Copy your HS 1.7 install to a spare PC and install .Net and HS2.1 over the top. Run it. See what works / doesn't work. Upgrade all of your plugins to the latest for a fresh start. Report what works / doesn't work. I think you will be suprised on how much just works.
Run it in parallel. Put Watchdog on it to reboot if it takes much cpu / ram or is unresponsive. Have one PC monitor the other. Put one on one web port, the other on another so you can always remote in.
This is a pretty conservative way to validate that it will work for you.
Then, you will be up and running on the latest, supported product where all of the next HST and user development will be for.

Don, the problems really seem to have dwindled down since 2.1. I don't see a lot of issues being posted.

My 2.1 never stops unless I stop it - although I am not running tons of plugins (AC RF, ADIOcelot, Insteon, and a few others).

Jim H.

Please stop twisting arms to get people to upgrade to HS2.1. Some of us may have other priorities or opinions. Since none of us (AFAIK) signed a EULA that specified a cut off date for when our 1.x product expired, I think it is fair and reasonable to request that HST keep the updater or some reasonable ADVANCE alternative for those of us that want to protect our investment. I am perfectly willing to ftp everything to a CD and become responsible for myself.

But Wayne the distributed speaker app alone is worth the upgrade not to mention the speed.

Rupp said:
But Wayne the distributed speaker app alone is worth the upgrade not to mention the speed.
The distributed speaker app doesn't have a whole lot of appeal to someone who only has one PC that they want it to run on (the HS PC) and already has distributed audio to take care of speech in other locations.

I agree with Wayne that people may have other priorities than converting to 2.1.

Right on,

My HS 1.7x installation hasn't been touched in so long I am not sure I could figure out exactly what I did. I don't have hours to attempt an install or a second machine to test HS 2.1 on. Even if I did how would I test all my devices without moving them onto the test machine there by downing my HS 1.7 installation.

I see no reason what so ever to upgrade to HS 2.1 especially since there is no GUI and I hate web interfaces.

It works, its reliable, the WAF is good, why stick my foot into the fire...

StevenE

smee said:
Rupp said:
The distributed speaker app doesn't have a whole lot of appeal to someone who only has one PC that they want it to run on (the HS PC) and already has distributed audio to take care of speech in other locations.

I agree with Wayne that people may have other priorities than converting to 2.1.
Smee,
I'm not talking about around the house but rather from home to work or home to your spouse work. This has been a hugh WAF builder for the wife to here the incoming call messages as well as other announcements.

Rupp said:
smee said:
Rupp said:

Smee,
I'm not talking about around the house but rather from home to work or home to your spouse work. This has been a hugh WAF builder for the wife to here the incoming call messages as well as other announcements.
I get important notifications by email - to office, phone, and watch. I really don't need the people in the surrounding cubicles to hear that I have telemarketers calling, etc. In addition, making that connection at work would probably be strongly frowned upon.

I'm not saying it's not useful, but there are plenty of people who don't need it.

Regarding your jinx comment, in my previous post I was going to say that I don't expect to find the time to upgrade to 2.1 anytime soon. But, I figured as soon as I posted that, by this weekend I'd decide to make the switch. And I didn't want to be caught. ;)

Yea. I'm blessed to have such a wonderful work environment at the moment and an office to boot. I used to use my Timex page watch for information from home but got to tight to pay the service and believe it or not I'm probably the last guy on planet earth that doesn't carry a cell phone. Like you guys said why upgrade if what you have works. I wanted a few of the new toys so it forced me to make the move.

Back