The End is Near for HomeSeer 1.7x

Rupp;

I believe Blade (is that the correct handle?) recently provided a plugin for the Ninja Pan & Tilt using the CM19a interface.

The point isn't that a plugin is "currently" available; it is that the plugin has not gone through a "seasoned" period where it is judged to be reliable (and doesn’t conflict with other plugins/software).

This is my main point. We all have periods where a product is deemed "beta" vs. "officially released". I'm saying that NONE of these plugins has gone through a seasoned process where all the bugs are worked out like HomeSeer 1.7x has!

Sure the plugin may work and others will swear to the fact, but in my book a plugin needs to have a period of time where it is proven to work not only with itself, but proven to play nice with other plugins that a user may have on his/her system as well. This just flat out takes time! Time that has not been provided since a lot of these plugins have just come out within the past few months.

I like electron's insight and suggestion. Have HST provide a CD with all the files on it. I would even pay a fee for something like that if it means I would be able to run my setup for another year (or two)! ;) ;)

All of this is just to show why it is still to early to give up supporting HS 1.7. HS Technologies has to realize people do NOT want to be in a constant "beta" mode with their systems, and this INCLUDES plugins.

I'll second and third that!!

When I install a product that is PRODUCTION, I don't expect to fight all the problems for almost another year and then to start all over yet again with a new BETA.

Production status is meant to mean there should not be any MAJOR problems or errors. That hasn't happened with HS2. I have watched the continual time and efforts that USERS have put into finding errors in HS2 and is still doing. I don't expect it to be error free but this last year has been horrible. Yes I paid for HS2 but still way too many problems for me. I was out of town for 3 months and could never tolerated the problems. Just no way to fix anything from 600 miles away. Even with 1.7.44, I had to have a neighbor come over and reset the system but it was because of power failures. Never a problem with HS1.

About the only thing you can do is to download every plugin and script for HS1, JUST IN CASE. Then you can do a standalone install and not need the HS Updater site.

I have tried other HA systems and I still think that HS is the best for me. HS2 is just not there yet for the functions I want to have and depend upon. I don't have the time to rediscover everything that needs to be changed to make HS2 as good as HS1 is for me.

I have been using the Hauppauge Capture plugin for about 5-6 months with NINJA support and find that it has been working great without any problems. That said, I'm on HS1 but Brian also has it running for HS2.

The only reason I am not running the NINJAs right now is I wore them out!! They are really too light weight products for my installation.

kyham said:
All of this is just to show why it is still to early to give up supporting HS 1.7. HS Technologies has to realize people do NOT want to be in a constant "beta" mode with their systems, and this INCLUDES plugins.

I'll second and third that!!

When I install a product that is PRODUCTION, I don't expect to fight all the problems for almost another year and then to start all over yet again with a new BETA.

Production status is meant to mean there should not be any MAJOR problems or errors. That hasn't happened with HS2. I have watched the continual time and efforts that USERS have put into finding errors in HS2 and is still doing. I don't expect it to be error free but this last year has been horrible. Yes I paid for HS2 but still way too many problems for me. I was out of town for 3 months and could never tolerated the problems. Just no way to fix anything from 600 miles away. Even with 1.7.44, I had to have a neighbor come over and reset the system but it was because of power failures. Never a problem with HS1.

About the only thing you can do is to download every plugin and script for HS1, JUST IN CASE. Then you can do a standalone install and not need the HS Updater site.

I have tried other HA systems and I still think that HS is the best for me. HS2 is just not there yet for the functions I want to have and depend upon. I don't have the time to rediscover everything that needs to be changed to make HS2 as good as HS1 is for me.
Don,
What's not there for you yet?

So let's all pitch in and buy the source code and rights for HS 1.7, and continue to develop it under the CocoonTech name... and do away with the damn updater concept...

So let's all pitch in and buy the source code and rights for HS 1.7, and continue to develop it under the CocoonTech name... and do away with the damn updater concept...

Hehe - although that sounds like a fun idea, I doubt it would happen ;)

DEPENDABILITY is the main thing. I need a system that I can depend on without constant tinkering or "appling fixes", and then fixes for the fixes because the fix broke something else. It seems that they keep making changes to how the system works without any consideration on whom it will affect.

The one that stands out is the elimination of special characters that are heavly used in languages other than English. No notice, it was just done and the users found out the hard way when things no longer worked right.

I gave up submitting help tickets for HS1 even before HS2 was available. A few times I even went to other message boards with my problems to try and put a little pressure to get items resolved. As far as I can remember, only one of my problems were ever resolved. I just kept up adding comments to the help ticket. Rich finally came up with the answer and it was really simple. Don't remember what it was but nothing anywhere near the "guesses" that I had received from other HS support people. Ended up being fixed in less than 15 minutes but after a few months of hassle. Every other help ticket I closed because of no answer or action.

I LIKE HS1. It does everything I want it to do except VR. VR and HS has NEVER worked. Bring up HAL and it works. Bring down HAL and bring up HS and NOTHING. Finally gave up since everything else worked as I wanted.

I have used Touchpad ever since it came out and I like it but it was never completed. Great features but lots of missing needed features such as SECURITY.
It doesn't exist. If you use Touchpad, guests need to have ADMIN authority. The reply I got back from Rick was they never decided on what to do so it ended up that they did nothing.

I really have gone into this more than I wanted or should have but like I said, I like HS1 and the way it works. I don't like the way HS2 works, or should I say doesn't work. Just my opinions as a paying customer.

Enough said.

AutomatedOutlet said:

Hehe - although that sounds like a fun idea, I doubt it would happen ;)
[Darth Vader Voice] Don't under-estimate the POWER of the Cocoon!![/Darth Vader Voice]

kyham said:

DEPENDABILITY is the main thing. I need a system that I can depend on without constant tinkering or "appling fixes", and then fixes for the fixes because the fix broke something else. It seems that they keep making changes to how the system works without any consideration on whom it will affect.

The one that stands out is the elimination of special characters that are heavly used in languages other than English. No notice, it was just done and the users found out the hard way when things no longer worked right.

I gave up submitting help tickets for HS1 even before HS2 was available. A few times I even went to other message boards with my problems to try and put a little pressure to get items resolved. As far as I can remember, only one of my problems were ever resolved. I just kept up adding comments to the help ticket. Rich finally came up with the answer and it was really simple. Don't remember what it was but nothing anywhere near the "guesses" that I had received from other HS support people. Ended up being fixed in less than 15 minutes but after a few months of hassle. Every other help ticket I closed because of no answer or action.

I LIKE HS1. It does everything I want it to do except VR. VR and HS has NEVER worked. Bring up HAL and it works. Bring down HAL and bring up HS and NOTHING. Finally gave up since everything else worked as I wanted.

I have used Touchpad ever since it came out and I like it but it was never completed. Great features but lots of missing needed features such as SECURITY.
It doesn't exist. The reply I got back from Rick was they never decided on what to do so it ended up that they did nothing.

I really have gone into this more than I wanted or should have but like I said, I like HS1 and the way it works. I don't like the way HS2 works, or should I say doesn't work. Just my opinions as a paying customer.

Enough said.
Don,
When was the last time you tried HS 2.1? My install of HS 2.1.43 has been up for 23 days and X number of minutes. You really shouldn't knock it unless you try it. We can all knock it but if we do not use it then the comments do not carry much weight.

Again, my last comment to this thread.

It's NOT about "my system has been up for x days, y minutes, and can cure world hunger and look like Robin Meade while doing it (did I just say that... ;) ? )!

It's about proven performance and stability over time. This just flat out takes time (as I mentioned previously).

I also think it's very sad that stability performance seems to be measured in days (let alone minutes). System stability should be measured in WEEKS!

Again, we all have our time lines, but I think you will have to search pretty far for someone that disagrees with this opinion (err, the stability one, not the Robin Meade one)!

It isn't hard to achieve, all it takes is time! During that time, support your known product that has already reached this level of greatness! ;)

I have not tried 2.1. I don't install BETA. I am NOT a BETA tester.

I paid for PRODUCTION code and that is what I require.

I don't have the time or equipment to play with it like many of you do. When I see 3-4 pages of problems almost every day with functions not working right or at all, it is not yet PRODUCTION.

23 days? My 1.7.44 system has been up for over 8 months not counting power failures.

Back