The new M1KAM ELK 1 Wire module?

fleetz

Hi Spanky,

Thought I would pull the M1KAM 1 Wire discussion out of the EHX thread and give it a life!

Given you have had respectable time to recover from what must have been a hectic EHX from all accounts, now it's time to spill the beans on stuff!! :D

Without being pressed on when the M1KAM will ship as I realise having run my company for over 15 years that designed, developed and manufactured electronic equipment the release date from a production and marketing perspective is a different kettle of fish.

The thread is created more for features and form factor detail. Given those dam Aussies :huh: are gumming up the works with production, the features, specifications and importantly how it is to implement would known and nice hear.

You are no doubt aware there has been a lot of registered interest here on the ELK 1 Wire product.

Things like what ELK have planned at the end of the 1 Wire by way of sensors eg is a Dallas chrimped into a RJ-45 etc.

Time to spill da beans....... :)

Cheers,

Fleetz

PS Let me know if you need help with those pesky Aussie's I know people in high places :D ....

The M1KAM Access Module takes the place of a keypad. It supports a 26 bit Weigand Prox Reader and the 1-Wire data bus. The initial specification was for the Dallas iButton for codeless ID and a low cost reader system.

What would you like to see on the 1-Wire devices?

It will be an on going development. Currently it supports the Dallas iButton identification fob and temperature sensor. As additional 1-Wire devices are added, device driver software has to be added.

The module connects to the M1's RS-485 Data Bus and also has a zone input and relay output for door access control or anything else you want to use it for.

What would you like to see on the 1-Wire devices?

I'd like to see humidity if at all possible. I'd like to reference humidity levels in the M1 rules to enhance the control of fans, humidifiers etc.

Spanky, per your original feedback in this thread and your reply here:

http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=5705

I'm mainly interested in 1-wire temperature sensors but outside of the included sensor on this unit you're offering:

1) to get rid of the input 1-16 limitation with the Elk sensors
2) so i can do attic temp, roof temp at the solar panels, pool water temp (the later two are exposed to elements)

Will the unit be expandable for additional 1 wire devices and will the temperature sensor "driver" be generic and not brand specific so that i can add some in remote/distant locations?

thx
-brad

Hi Spanky,

Thanks for the reply and asking for input to help hopefully you shape the product to what the market might require.

My requirements are.......

1. Multiple temperature zone sensors that feedback to M1 to monitor and have M1 do things under rules. The house we are building I would see a total of 11.

4 for the bedrooms (air conditioning control using multi head split system where I have control at a room by room area are by area )
1 for a general open living area (Kitchen/lounge/dine/family)
1 for study
1 for patio (which would also provide my outside temperature input)
1 for pool temperature (inline with water intake or return)
1 for my AV closet to enable a ceiling fan to draw air
1 for my garage (Open panel lift door say 2 foot when temp is >than XX)
1 for roof space

Packaging

I would prefer flush mount remote temperature sensors. The ones that would finish off almost invisible once inserted into plasterboard/wall board/gyprock. They would install flush and then you paint over them. These would be perfect.

Then a surface mount version for those areas outside or roof spaces that do not lend themselves for the flush mount type. These would be nice to be cosmetically pleasing unlike the TZS currently available (I am being constructive).

This would give you just two packages to cover what my case scenarios are.

Now to push the envelope a bit......Humidity

Humidity is a must for me givne the house is in the tropics of Far North Queensland. I have bought an Ocelot and a Bobcat Humidity sensors and an XSP just to give me some RH input into MI, where I can exercise air-conditioning remotely as we will not be there when the wet season is there. I have three humidity sensors in the design. I know there were a number of people putting there hands up in previous threads for humidity sensors. The compact surface mount housing I was suggesting above could serve as the housing for any future humidity sensor. I suspect you couldn't have a flush humidity sensor as it would require some air movement to detect the humidity.

I would also prefer to have the iButtons packaged as an ELK/Ness product rather than having to source and try and package them up for fitment. This would come at price above the iButton but I suspect would not be too much over the top. Unless of course your superannuation is lagging behind!! :huh:

Thinking Outside the Square

Thinking outside the square given you are about to release the RF RX TX solution (assuming those dam Aussie lift there game :D ) is it feasible to consider having some remote <30Metre -90feet temperature TX into the RX which is enrolled on M1? What I have seen before I think with some weather station manufacturers is a TX that floats in the pool and transmits back to RX. This would not need to be transmitted constantly therefore not putting too much traffic on the RS-485 control data bus. Once every 15 minutes for example would probably see 6 months or more out of some "AA" batteries in the TX. It would I suspect in most situations give the input required. A pools temp is not going to change too much over 15 minutes. This would also lend itself for spas, Jacuzzis etc.

Continuing on the RF theme I would have an application for monitoring two refrigerators/freezers more so when we are not there. A RF TX that is battery operated or DC plug pack that sits outside the fridge (possibly with fridge magnet) with a thin possibly flat cable to allow the iButton sensor to sit inside the fridge.

This would be handy for other applications like remote cool rooms, wine cellars and of course down here in Australia our eskies where it is extremely important to have the correct temperature beer! ;)

Connectivity

What exactly do you mean when you say "The M1KAM Access Module takes the place of a keypad? It supports a 26 bit Weigand Prox Reader and the 1-Wire data bus. "???

Are you meaning from M1's perspective it treats the M1KAM as the same type as a keypad? How can it take the place of a keypad? Is it a module that connects to the 2 wire weigand on the KP? Sorry to be vague but important to understand the connectivity.

How many iButton sensor devices could be connected to the one M1KAM Access Module? Are you saying it is one iButton per M1KAM?

Is just a serial loop around of Cat5e from one sensor to the next then to the M1KAM?

By now you may have not regretted asking for input! :) I think I can talk on behalf of other CocoonTech members in saying that it continues to be a refreshing experience with you and ELK’s continuum of asking the market what they would like to see. Before it is released to the market!

What finishes up on the market will be determined by what feedback you get from here, dealers, end users, engineering, what the competition might be doing and heavens forbid the Sales and Marketing department :D Nice to have an opportunity to put our two cents worth in.

Regards,

Fleetz

Definitely Humidity.

By the way, I found a company that has Ultra-inexpensive temp/humidity sensors that can be read by RS-232. http://www.preconusa.com/shopping/store/ag...roduct=Humidity

So the deal:
1) each sensor requires a separate RS-232 port. They are not addressible
2) to get the best accuracy, the unit should only be powered 10% of the time. So, it would help to be able to turn on/off a serial port. Leaving the unit on all the time will likely result in a ~5% variance in humidity.
3) For $50, you can get a kit that includes the RS232 cable, software + data logger, and sensor.

Spanky.....Any chance of getting a 1 - wire RFID detector module that is compatabile with multiple formats? It would be great to add these around the house for car, pet and even ppeople access as well as imbedded security tags on our stuff!

air pressure sensors

Purpose: to avoid backdrafting, I'd like to be able to measure relative air pressure in multiple zones and enable fans or ducts to compensate.

For example: WHENEVER every 5 minutes AND pressureInside < pressureOutside THEN enable make-up-fan

Packaging

I would prefer flush mount remote temperature sensors. The ones that would finish off almost invisible once inserted into plasterboard/wall board/gyprock. They would install flush and then you paint over them. These would be perfect.

Yes, I'll second (or third or fourth) that one. My wife seriously hates the current elk box I have installed on our MBR wall.

Hi,

Glad people are still talking about this. I insulated the house and sealed all gaps, and I forgot to turn down manual humidistat during the winter and got mold on some walls as humidity was too high. In the past we didn't have this problem, the house was so leaky the humidifier couldn't keep the house moist enough ;) I want to adjust the humidity setting depending on the outside temperature to avoid the mold next winter.

It would be much easier to be able to add a humidity sensor straight to the elk rather than having to buy a HAI, robo sensor, extra inputs... which probably means a couple hundred dollars.

David

Back