Togglelincs, and a bunch of questions!

electron

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't know about their existance until a few minutes ago! I am dying to automate some of my switches (they used to be cheap x10 switches, but they all died after a few months), control my outside lighting, turn on walk in closet lights when door opens, stuff like that, but I have toggles at home (so Z-Wave is out of the question), so I am very excited to find out Martin carries these.

1) The only thing that I can't figure out is, are these 'push up/down' switches, kinda like the cheap x10 rockers, or is there a true on/off state?

2) What's the difference between the ToggleLinc 2-Way Dimmer, 600W and the ToggleLinc 2-Way Switch, 5 Amp?
edit: figured it out after checking smarthome.com, looks like the 5amp is like an appliance module?

3) My outside lighting is just 4 60W bulbs, most other lighting is just a single 60W bulb. What's the maximum they can handle?

4) Any reason I shouldn't get these? Should I just replace all my toggles with rockers (depending on WAF) and get the regular switchlincs?

5) Do these support 'soft starts', so they can dim from OFF (unlike the cheap X10 ones which go full bright first)?

Thanks guys!

The togglelincs are fantastic! They are just like the Switchlinc just with the toggle in the paddles place. All the features are the same from the adjustable soft start, resume dim, to the quality of the Switchlinc. The 600W Dimmer is just that. It will handle a load up to 600W or 10 60W bulbs as load (I wouldn't max it out, but...). It has the dim capability. Comes in the same type of flavors as the Switchlinc such as PLC, Two-way w/Scenes. The Togglelinc Switch is of course just a switch. No dimming and the 5amp handles loads up to 5amps.

I see no reason why you shouldn't consider these as a great solution to your automation. The only thing you should keep in mind is whether you want to spend the extra for the Two-way in the event later down the road you want to status the switch for execution of events and conditions.

cool, the soft start is really important to me. Does the toggle feel like a real toggle switch, or is it like the cheap x10 toggles? Any reason I would want the PCLs ?

OK,

1) The only thing that I can't figure out is, are these 'push up/down' switches, kinda like the cheap x10 rockers, or is there a true on/off state?

The switch always stays in the middle position. You push it up to turn on or dim up and down to turn off and dim down. After you push the switch, it returns to the middle postion. The switch does has a nice feel to it and also has a nightlight.

2) What's the difference between the ToggleLinc 2-Way Dimmer, 600W and the ToggleLinc 2-Way Switch, 5 Amp?

One dims and one does not.

3) My outside lighting is just 4 60W bulbs, most other lighting is just a single 60W bulb. What's the maximum they can handle?

600 watts

4) Any reason I shouldn't get these? Should I just replace all my toggles with rockers (depending on WAF) and get the regular switchlincs?

Personal preference. They have all of the same functionality as the normal Switchlincs except they do not have LEDs running up the side of the switch.

5) Do these support 'soft starts', so they can dim from OFF (unlike the cheap X10 ones which go full bright first)?

Yes, if you send a command to turn on to 40%, they go straight to 40%.

Like Martin said they have a return to center, but the feel is really kinda cool. It's a soft press up or down. One other very kewl thing with the 23890 it has a built in boosterlinc. That is one good reason to not want a PLC the other is the Two-way. You can definitely make use of the status later on.

WAF is good with these. And Ditto on everything from Martin

Wife just said she is fine with graduatly converting our toggles to rockers, yeah! Now I will have to look at SwitchLincs or Lightoliers.

She must want some tonight :)

Thats the way my fiancé works. If she horny i can have it if shes not then she will think about it until she is!

She must want some tonight

Thats the way my fiancé works. If she horny i can have it if shes not then she will think about it until she is!

I don't think that was supposed to be as funny as it seems to me.

Got any pics of the switches? (Considering I don't have a clue what they are. :) )

Back