Touchscreen Options

Dean Roddey said:
As I understand it, that doesn't include the Windows desktop, it's just the core of Windows. Since the purpose in this case is to run the touch screen client, that makes it a non-starter AFAIK.
Currently, Windows IOT 10 core doesn't include the desktop.  But MS has provided a Desktop Bridge option to "convert" your desktop client apps to Universal Window Apps (UWA) which can then be run on assorted platforms such as the RPI, Xbox etc.  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/porting/desktop-to-uwp-root

It would have to be some sort of wrapper I guess? Even then I'd be a little skeptical. Our IV is a complex program that consumes a lot of functionality that probably wouldn't be available.

@Dean,

Can I test your touchscreen software here without it connecting to your main base program?

Here have played with a variety of touch screens for the last 15 years or so.  All openframe monitors connected to Intel based computers (minis).  I do not like wirelessly connected tablets for home automation and have tested them but prefer my automation to be POE ethernet based (using power from POE).

Base tabletops here run XPe or W7e on a 7" Atom dual threaded computer.  Due to WAF this is primary.

Thinking I can do the Windows embedded emulation on a Rock 64 / 4Gb computer here...just waiting on the RTC.

With 4Gb of RAM (and 2Gb of RAM) the Pine64/Rock64 runs circles around the RPi2-3 (and B+).

Dean Roddey said:
As I understand it, that doesn't include the Windows desktop, it's just the core of Windows. Since the purpose in this case is to run the touch screen client, that makes it a non-starter AFAIK.
No W10 desktop, but you can run W10 GUI apps.  It's kind of like running a single app in a kiosk mode.  It is limited though to W10 UWP style apps.

Has anybody tried the sharing software from Thinsoft or Ncomputing? Other?
It looks like I could use thin clients and access my CQC master server.

Possibly my old Borg Displays could be used as thin clients as well if I could get the software loaded.

You can of course use regular old RDP. It's not going to have the same responsiveness as a native mode for the graphically rich (and finger scrollable) stuff that the IV can provide.

pete_c said:
@Dean,

Can I test your touchscreen software here without it connecting to your main base program?

It's client/server sort of system, so you have to have the back end installed before you can install a client.

Looking to try something here with my variety of sizes of openframe touchscreens and a Rock64 4 Gb / 16Gb eMMC drive which is cheaper than a mini Atom PC and will run via POE.

Rock64-Touchscreen.jpg

My old Pine64 2Gb computer which is larger than an RPi runs circles around the RPi 1,2 and 3.

Might purchase an available small 7" touchscreen (same as what you can get for the RPi).

Been waiting for an upgrade in hardware of the Rock64 to include an RTC battery.  It's been on the list and promised now for over a year.

Footprint of the Rock64 is the same as an RPi.  I have read about some video issues / processing et al.  I have not used my Pine64 to do any video.

That said here will run emulation for Windows stuff using Wine, PlayonLinux, lite virtual emulator for XP/W7e.

Been able to get Microsoft SAPI to run with Wine throwing the kitchen sink at it but never was able to get the Homeseer MS SAPI speaker program to work in Wine. 

Back