Tried Downgrading OMNI PRO II 3.2d returned to 4.0b No PC Access Ethernet or Serial

Here went with a micro travel router (Nexx WT3020) that is 2" X 1" and powered by the panel.  It has been up and running now for years using OpenWRT.

Here have only managed L2 Gb switches and the OmniPro panel connection via the micro router has done fine.  

Today utilize Kodi boxes which are also STBs of a sort.  (2X2 HD Homerun boxes).

With the number of times you have upgraded and downgraded the firmware I would:

1 - backup current upgraded firmware set up via PCA
2 - cold restart the panel
3 - configure IP on panel
4 - reinstall backup

Note: the newest or latest firmware is fine.  (4.X).

At the time that I had the network issues not sorted out I went to using the serial port for this stuff.

Hi @pete_c

Thank you for assisting me with this, I need to clarify a few steps so I'm on the same page......

When you say, "1 - backup current upgraded firmware set up via PCA", I don't follow?   My system is upgraded using physical EPROM, and PCA and is set to 4.0D. I don't have Flash Capability like newer controllers. Or is there a step I'm unaware of you are recommending?

I only downgraded once (swapping proms), and since I had multiple unexpected issues I removed the 3.12D PROM and reinstalled 4.0D EPROM.

• After reinstalling 4.0D EPROM, I  RESET EEAROM from Console.
  • Then I ran into changes to IP address (as you noted above) issue, because it was Hard Coded as a subnet address ending in 211, older FW. I was unaware IP address was now flexible, and had a default address.
  • had to set my Installer Code in two locations, before PCA would connect TCP/IP or Serial (This was new since I hadn't done this since 2002).
  • I reprogrammed from PCA both TCP and Serial (unaware of the Ethernet flooding issue you detailed, and IPTV was streaming on LAN).

Just to Clarify, when you say "2 - cold restart the panel", do you mean "RESET EEPROM" from console? My guess is the configuration is stored in EEPROM because removing power only clears RAM not programs.

I don't trust configuration loaded into EEAPROM initially because I didn't know about the Ethernet Flooding issue, so successive reprogramming through Serial port or Ethernet has not resolved controller misbehavior (and multiple System Resets), hence I think I should start over if that is what you suggested in No. 2.

I noticed after removing Ethernet connection (last night), I'm still flooded with "System Resets" so I imagine what is memory (not just RAM)  is corrupt, hence I think you want me to erase FLASH Memory.

I deeply appreciate the help, I regret testing older firmware because it has opened a can of worms, when the original ALC issue was caused by Ethernet flooding, which I was unaware until yesterday.

-Bob

pete_c said:
Here went with a micro travel router (Nexx WT3020) that is 2" X 1" and powered by the panel.  It has been up and running now for years using OpenWRT.

Here have only managed L2 Gb switches and the OmniPro panel connection via the micro router has done fine.  

Today utilize Kodi boxes which are also STBs of a sort.  (2X2 HD Homerun boxes).
You are using Both Router and L2 Switch?

Was it the Nexx WT3020 you removed from BOX and installed in your Panel (see you need to step down 12 to 5V micro USB mentioned in your post).

What Settings do you have for L2 Switch Flooding (Storm Control)?

I'm now seeing that my system has already been flooded into oblivion since it's "SYSTEM RESET" multiple times without Ethernet connection.

Looks like "Factory Reset" is a must, but will wait for your reply to my previous POST. I tried to attach my Storm Control Graphic, haven't had much luck with images in posts (worked this time).

TP-LINK_TL-SG108PE_Port_Storm-Control_Setting_Omni-II-PRO_Ethernet.jpg

1 - backup current upgraded firmware set up via PCA", I don't follow?

It should have written "back up your panel configuration" via PCA.

That would be any automation and configuration you have set up on your panel.

I only downgraded once (swapping proms), and since I had multiple unexpected issues I removed the 3.12D PROM and reinstalled 4.0D EPROM.

Updating proms works fine and adds some configuration stuff not available with the 3.12D PROM.  So downgrading from 4.0D to 3.12D will mess with the panel configuration.

Just to Clarify, when you say "2 - cold restart the panel", do you mean "RESET EEPROM" from console?

yes

My guess is the configuration is stored in EEPROM because removing power only clears RAM not programs.

I think you want me to erase FLASH Memory.

Yes.  Note that it wipes everything when you do this so make sure you have a back up before you do this.  

I don't trust configuration loaded into EEAPROM initially because I didn't know about the Ethernet Flooding issue, so successive reprogramming through Serial port or Ethernet has not resolved controller misbehavior (and multiple System Resets), hence I think I should start over if that is what you suggested in No. 2.

I noticed after removing Ethernet connection (last night), I'm still flooded with "System Resets" so I imagine what is memory (not just RAM)  is corrupt, hence I think you want me to erase FLASH Memory.

Yes.  The constant disconnects could or can trash the FLASH memory and or be causing you grief.

The Ethernet port was installed in to the panel that used the serial bus and it was never thought of that there would be so many network devices in a person's home.

The promiscuous Ethernet It is an engineering design flaw and added to the original serial bus design.  

Are you using Both Router and L2 Switch?

Today have in place managed L2 switches.  I upgraded to these way after the Ethernet Port issue on the panel.

I initially tested the solution using an old Linksys WRT firmware upgraded router.  It was just a layer 2 layer 3 issue.  So then I just used a micro travel router instead and installed it next to the daughter expansion zone boards a few years back.

Was it the Nexx WT3020 you removed from BOX and installed in your Panel (see you need to step down 12 to 5V micro USB mentioned in your post).

The Nexx router is an all in one miniature travel router.  I used a buck transformer to power it up (panel 12VDC to buck transformer to 5VDC.)

What Settings do you have for L2 Switch Flooding (Storm Control)?

Looked at one of my managed switches and I have the storm control option (UL Frame, Multicast and Broadcast)  in off mode on all of the network ports.

Your image shows me you have the same switch (maybe).  I have three of the TP-Link ​model TL-SG1024DE Easyswitch.  Purchased them way back when they were around $200 each.  Today you can purchase the TP-Link L2-L3 managed switch with GUI and CLI for less than $200.

You cannot do anything with the L-2 Managed switch you have that will fix this issue. Way back I tried and I also used an old 10Mbs hub and that did not work either.  

BTW in using a L2-L3 managed switch you are routing the OmniPro panel Ethernet interface same as you do with the Microrouter. The fix for the promiscuous Ethernet port on the OmniPro panel L2-L3 routing.

My original solution cost was approximately $20 using a modified with OpenWRT micro travel router.  You could do this with any of the micro travel routers you see on Amazon.  I picked the Nexx router because of it's size.  You do have to have a knowledgebase relating to networks, routing et al to be able to do this.  

Look at the dates on this FAQ and here on the Cocoontech forum (2013) when this issue first came up.

Microrouter DIY for use with the Omni Pro Panel Ethernet port

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1426]

I have just recently installed Paho-MQTT / Python3 on the microrouter and running MQTT subscribe and publish messages.

IE: doing my video doorbell PIR MQTT message motion publishing to a tiny ESP WiFi relay which is connected to one zone on the panel.

Using the OmniLinkBridge stuff you can then subscribe to an OmniPro unit message and publish a command to a WiFi switch controlling WiFi switches with the OmniPro 2 panel.

You cannot do this on a L2-L3 managed switch.  

Well looks like my controller is DOA!

After RESETTING EEPROM, I uploaded Programming setup using serial link on PCA (Ethernet Disconnected). Still getting System Resets. 

See image.

Then I left the house for a few minutes and when I got back my CONSOLE was beeping with the same message, "NO CONTROLLER DATA"

Nothing works now, looks like I'm going to have to contact Leviton (I never had System Reset until I tried downgrading one time, and then replaced 4.0B last weekend).

OMNI-II-Pro-System-Resets.jpg

Any Ideas?

Warm reboot.  Thinking /guessing your PCA config got trashed when you downgraded your chips.  Thinking I have already mentioned that.

Do you have an old backup from the old chips.  Use that one maybe.  

Can you reconfigure it from scratch or do you have the configuration written down.  

After reboot and if you can connect to a console reset the eeprom again, manually configure IP on a console and then connect with PCA via ethernet and reconfigure everything from scratch.

Strange, LEDs in controller are Flashing in a Wig-wag pattern (Since Console lost data). I will try downgrade again on Saturday, I have backups of my original  3.12D PCA files I uploaded prior to 4.0B upgrade.

I will upload a video (on my server) of the LED status lights so you can see what  I'm seeing, it's like the controller has suffered a failure.

RESET EEPROM didn't seem to RESET to Factory.

I've never seen any of these issues before. System has been rock solid until I stared having ALC issues from IP Traffic.

When you say "Warm Reboot" I assume that's remove power and battery then reconnect?

My original configuration was always with PCA (back to FW 2.1.6).

Yeah thinking you trashed your configuration.  I do not think you have a hardware problem.

Go baby steps.

1 - go back to the original firmware chips and load up original backup
2 - next go up one firmware revision and back up PCA configuration
3 - next go up another firmware revision and back up PCA configuration
4 - finally go to the 4.X chips and back up PCA configuration

see if that works.

IE: warm boot

Go to Setup>>Installer Setup>>Misc>>Reset Sytem RAM (not EEPRrom) - press 1 then #

Hi @pete_C

I was able to resolve the controller misbehaving.  On Saturday, I was following your suggestion to drop back to an older EPROM, when I discovered I bent Pin-16 of 4.0B EPROM (Ground Pin).

I can count on one hand how many times, in my career, I bent a pin updating firmware (I have pulled & Replaced MANY EPROMS in VMEbus systems and embedded systems I've  developed).

I was embarrassed, but very relieved to find this, and it explained the intermittent behavior of the controller. My IT closet is is very low in height, and this is the first time installing an EPROM in the controller I bent a pin. I can't easily get below controller (inside HAI Box) and see EPROM bottom pins.

After straightening the pin, I reinserted (all the while wearing static wrist strap to mitigate Winter Static Electricity issues), and powered up.  I programmed controller, and it has been behaving well (not connected to the network).

I ordered a "GL.iNET GL-MT300N-V2 Wireless Mini Portable Travel Router" (and power micro usb). It's so nice to have the ALC lighting system working reliably (the original issue). I must say one gets spoiled having OMNI II Pro controlling Lights and heat.

I have since downloaded the controllers setup once it started working, and archived it.

The next step is to review the port forwarding setting I plan to make from my router to a FIXED IP address of the mini router.

Thanks again Pete for your help. I wrote a message on Saturday to you but somehow it failed to post.

-Bob

Good news Bob!!!

Follow my the steps posted on the Homeseer forum relating to configuring your micro travel router for use with the OmniPro 2 panel.

Thanks Pete,

Yes I captured that information.

One question, why do you not recommend:

3 - do not change LAN configuration or create a small subnet on the LAN side.

I'm just curious why you recommend maintaining default subnet (won't interfere with my subnet on existing LAN if default is 192.168.0.x).

To do as little as possible to the microrouter.  That said if it is the same subnet than change it by one octet.  IE: if you regular subnet is 192.168.0.x then change the LAN subnet of the microrouter to 192.168.1.X.  I didn't mention this because I assumed it would be a different subnet.

It doesn't matter much on the LAN side what the subnet is as the OP2 doesn't do DHCP.  All you have to do is assign it an IP on the LAN side of the router.

Then change the WAN IP to the old OP2 LAN address such that you do not need to change any OP2 networked devices.

Just pass port 80, 22 and 4369 from the WAN to the LAN side in the firewall rules.

Port 80 is to get to the web interface of the microrouter
Port 22 is to be able to SSH to the router LAN side
Port 4369 is for the OP2 panel access.

This seems to me, at least, that it is becoming a more common problem among HAI owners.  Weird I guess home networks are just getting busier and busier!

Back