trouble updating firmware and sending emails from M1XEP

rexwilson

I finally got around to updating the firmware in my M1XEP, since Comcast recently disabled non-SSL port 25 email. Even though I sort of made it through the firmware update process, my M1XEP will not send emails, and I see no option for selecting SSL.

I also seem to be left with a strange configuration: When I run Enroll/Update Control and Devices, I see my M1XEP, Harware Ver 1.0, BootVer 1.2.0, Firmware Ver 1.3.28. (even though I already updated the firmware). Yet when I run "M1XEP setup", I see the M1 Cloud tab, which seems impossible if I'm running firware 1.3.28. Very strange. Anybody know what's going on here?

More details if anybody wants to get into the longer story: while running the boot update, I got "FTP Error, Invalid response: " (followed by blanks, didn’t actually show me the response, but showed me an OK button to dismiss the dialog box). I clicked OK and the box went away. Then I get another FTP error "Send: Connection closed", and I click OK again, and it goes away. Then it appears to finish the update, shows me that it’s 100% done, and tells me it is necessary to update the M1XEP's firmward. Which I then proceed to do. As with the bootware update, I get the same two FTP error dialog boxes, and then the firmware update appears to complete, tells me to wait 8 minutes for a reboot. Then after waiting and reconnecting, I see what appears to be the updated M1XEP interface (it includes the M1 Cloud tab), but the email tab doesn't offer me any way to turn on SSL. And if I try testing emails via port 587 or 465, the emails don't go through (even though it tells me it tried). What's more, if I tinker with certain port/login combinations, I can cause the M1XEP to disconnect and reboot itself every time I try to send a test email (a known error in previous versions of the M1XEP system). Seems like somehow I have a system which is half updated.

I have searched the forums and gone through some of the other suggested fixes (power cycling the M1XEP and the M1, installing the intermediate firmware updates, etc), but nothing has worked, and the system is still unable to send emails.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As have I. The only time I've heard of different was when another poster here had to step through their FW, from a 1.XX to what the tool needed to ramp to a 2.X version

thanks for those helpful replies. I too tried stepping through previous versions, following Elk's instructions precisely, and all roads seem to lead me to this same stuck state. That's helpful to hear that one doesn't need to actually select SSL (the M1XEP probably just assumes SSL when it sees port 587). I'll keep tinkering, and if need be will try to contact Elk next week.

Back