Turn off Alarm from Outside House

gacevich

i currently have my M1 automatically arm my house at midnight in case we forget to turn on alarm. i ran into an unforseen issue this weekend when arriving home after midnight and lacking a way to disarm the house before opening the garage door. while i haven't researched in depth, i am pretty sure i can put a keypad out side my house and tie it into one of my existing KP-2 keypads and disarm the house this way. but what i would rather do is to have the wireless garage door opener built into my car be used to disarm the M1 if it is armed then open the garage door. we usually enter the house via the gdo in the car and the waf would plummet (even more than this last weekend) if she has to get out of the car after midnight to enter a code at the keypad.

so here's my question: how can i get the use of gdo's in my car to both disarm the M1 and open the garage doors? :)

i currently have my M1 automatically arm my house at midnight in case we forget to turn on alarm. i ran into an unforseen issue this weekend when arriving home after midnight and lacking a way to disarm the house before opening the garage door. while i haven't researched in depth, i am pretty sure i can put a keypad out side my house and tie it into one of my existing KP-2 keypads and disarm the house this way. but what i would rather do is to have the wireless garage door opener built into my car be used to disarm the M1 if it is armed then open the garage door. we usually enter the house via the gdo in the car and the waf would plummet (even more than this last weekend) if she has to get out of the car after midnight to enter a code at the keypad.

so here's my question: how can i get the use of gdo's in my car to both disarm the M1 and open the garage doors? :)
Maybe you could instead look into using the active RFID from Cliste (same basic gear used to be CheaperRFID) and provide a "hands in the pocket approach" to both opening the door and disarming the alarm. There are inherent security issues there but, I'm not the paranoid type and we use it in our own home with CQC.

Get one of the ELK keyfobs, and wire an output from the ELK to your garage door button. Here's what I do:

- Garage doors have sensors on them so I can tell if they are open or closed
- Door buttons are wired into the ELK outputs
- I have a garage close and a garage open button on the keyfob
- House is area 1, garage is area 2 (set to force armable, and which is NOT part of area 1)
- I use a whenever rule so when area 1 is armed, area 2 arms after 1 minute
- When coming home, so I don't set off the alarm, I hit the garage open button on the keyfob, and a whenever rule disarms area 2 and opens the door
- Then when I open the door from the garage into the house, area 1 goes into delay and I have to type my code.

I chose not to allow disarming of area 1 with the fob, so if it was lost or stolen then the bad guy could only get into the garage. Using a fob on a keychain is better than keeping a door opener in your car if you sometimes park outside. Then the bad guy can't just smash your car window and open the garage if it's on your keychain.

I use rules to do what you want. My alarm goes to Stay Mode at 11pm. My wife gets home from work after midnight 3 days/wk so when the garage door goes up, my rule changes the alarm mode from Stay to Away. This way if it is her, she can open the garage/house entrance door (the garage door is not tied to the alarm) without setting off the alarm in Stay Mode. If it is not her (somehow someone opened the garage door) and it switched to away mode they have 30 secs to turn it off before it alarms.

Maybe you could instead look into using the active RFID from Cliste (same basic gear used to be CheaperRFID) and provide a "hands in the pocket approach" to both opening the door and disarming the alarm. There are inherent security issues there but, I'm not the paranoid type and we use it in our own home with CQC.
this is an interesting solution and raises a few questions. does this require a cqc driver or connect thru the M1? based on your description it sounds like programming could be setup such that when the car returns home the alarm can be disarmed and the door could open automatically. am i thinking about it correctly?

this is an interesting solution and raises a few questions. does this require a cqc driver or connect thru the M1? based on your description it sounds like programming could be setup such that when the car returns home the alarm can be disarmed and the door could open automatically. am i thinking about it correctly?
Yeas, it's a prebuilt driver in CQC. It's SUPER easy to setup and you could use the true/false (present or not present) values as triggers for any action you'd like CQC to perform. The scenario you described is exactly what we do in our own home. I use a 40 meter transmitter in the car, an 8 meter in both my laptop bag and the wife's purse and have another attached to my trash can for trash day reminders. It works so well, we're thinking about putting an 8 meter tag on one of the dog's collar (the other dog is a chihuahua that's too small to carry the tag comfortably), as well.

Yeas, it's a prebuilt driver in CQC. It's SUPER easy to setup and you could use the true/false (present or not present) values as triggers for any action you'd like CQC to perform.
Looks like you are refering to the CheaperRFID Receiver driver, correct?

Ok, that stuff is awesome:

http://cliste.sailwhatcom.com/

Has anyone integrated it with the M1? Looks like you'd just need a serial port expander and some custom rules that looked for specific strings on the serial port.
Gacevich, yes, that's the driver.

Signal15, I don't use Elk but, I have tested a similar setup in HAI (serial, ASCII "messages" and their version of rules) and it worked like a charm.

Get one of the ELK keyfobs, and wire an output from the ELK to your garage door button. Here's what I do:

- Garage doors have sensors on them so I can tell if they are open or closed
- Door buttons are wired into the ELK outputs

I have one of the new Chamberlain "purple" learning button lifters (I reserve the word opener for the push-button pad by the garage door). It's not quite a simple as put a relay across the opener wires in parallel with the opener button for this model. I have an oscilloscope and will be investigating soon. If nothing else, the signals on the wires aren't AC anymore. So the trick of short this phase or that phase goes out the window too. If anyone else has already puzzled this out let me know. I suspect I'm going to need a programmable controller for this task ...

Chris D.

Back