• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

UNBELIEVABLE?

MRL

I have been trying to get my new ELK M1G to dial out for 2 days. I triple checked all wire connections including the RJ45 cable connect to the Elk (Grey-R1, Brown-T1, Red-RING, Green-TIP) and measured the voltage on the phone company terminals. There is an old adage - check the obvious first! After trying everything (including reversing the wires as was suggested by Brad at Elk), I decided to wire the RJ31X terminal block directly to the ELK and not use the RJ45 plug. The ELK now dials out. I cannot believe it. Either the RJ31X cable color description on page 7 of the installation manual is incorrect (not likely), or the RJ45 plug/cable that came with the M1GSYS4 is bad (more likely).
Oh well, now I can call the monitoring company to test the system.

ph0n33z

I am glad that you found the problem friend! Nothing like not knowing what is causing something to malfunction.

I was wondering.........what company have you found to monitor your elk for security?

MRL

I am going with a local security company (a close friend of my nephew). They install CADDX systems (my nephew is getting a wired CADDX system) and if I get really good programming the Elk, I may have a consulting job if they decide to carry the Elk system. I think they are going to charge me 10.95 per month. Now that my Elk can dial out, I need to call them and go over the monitoring details.

Spanky

Glad to hear you got it working. I was starting to tighten up!!!!!

I spend hours helping another customer that had three things wrong at once: a bad serial cable, an improperly wired telephone connection, and the baud rate was set wrong for a Crestron connection. In his opinion nothing was working right. Finally, we got everything fixed and the system worked great.