Unique Automation Project

upstatemike said:
huggy59 said:
I would think a decent single-board PC with flash drive running some stripped-down version of Linux would be an excellent, and relatively inexpensive, controller system for the entire setup.
Kind of over-complicated and labor intensive. Why not just use a Stargate?
I have not read up much on the Stargate controller. How does this device stack up against the ELK and HAI products? Looks like it has some pretty good logic controls.

Now I may well be proved wrong, but It is my understanding that the Stargate is wonderful for automation but it requires a connection to a purpose-built security panel to function in this capacity. In contrast, the Elk is itself a UL listed security panel.

As someone who vacilated for about a year on what system to install, I can tell you that I have zero regrets going with the Elk system. The primary reason is places like CocoonTech. There are lots of very knowledgeable people here who generously share their experience. Further, the search function of this BB is a goldmine. I couldn't find anything remotely similar for the HAI.

I suspect you'll find the capabilities of the Elk's control over voice telephone as the most useful. You can always expand to an on-site PC with, perhaps, CQC Software in the future. Throw in a couple of IP cameras and you're having some real fun.

Good luck. -chuck

You guys have me seriously in the ELK camp, thanks for all the feedback. I'll need to do some more research and will keep the group updated on this project, started wiring this weekend.... Thanks a bunch for all the advice..

-Chris

ChuckSchick said:
Now I may well be proved wrong, but It is my understanding that the Stargate is wonderful for automation but it requires a connection to a purpose-built security panel to function in this capacity. In contrast, the Elk is itself a UL listed security panel.
Not sure I understand the point you are making here. Yes the Stargate uses the Caddx NX8e panel for security inputs but it is a hardware to hardware integration that does not depend on a PC or anything. When attached, the caddex panel acts like it is part of the Stargate with the added advantage that the security and fire functions will continue to work even if there is a problem with the automation routine.

Yes the Stargate is first and foremost an automation controller along the lines of a Homevision or Ocelot. That is why it has a much much much more extensive programming platform than enhanced security panels like the OmniPro or Elk M1.

I thought the primary goal was to control the roof motor in a way that requires a good programming platform on a non-PC based system, with security as one of the additional secondary requirements?

Chris,

Please keep us updated on your progress. I mentioned the Doctors that I did customer support with. I would bet that they would have been much happier to be setting at home calling me rather than on a mountain top in the Andes.

I have not been keeping up with the earth based astronomy science. Keep good notes, you may have a lot of calls when you get this thing on line.

Regards,

Ken Miller

electron said:
huggy59 said:
I would think a decent single-board PC with flash drive running some stripped-down version of Linux would be an excellent, and relatively inexpensive, controller system for the entire setup. A unit with sleep mode would also draw minimal power when not running. You could still use the controllers for I/O and ports, developing a control program in your favorite scripting language (PHP, perl, etc.) wouldn't be too difficult, and you'd have all the logical capability you require, including interrupts.

Take a look at Circuit Cellar magazine/web site. They have many advertisers of such hardware.

http://www.circuitcellar.com/

http://www.circuitcellar.com/suppliers%5Fdir/SBC.asp
I am actually trying to turn a Linksys router (linux based) into a HA controller/add-on, just need to figure out how to get python or php on there.
Electron, are/have you looked at Sveasoft's Talisman replacement firmware, I believe it supports at least PHP.

www.sveasoft.com

Ben

ELK Rule question...

Is there anyway to have a delay between commands? For example I will need to issue an ASCII string to port 2 telling my mount to move to it's 'home' position. Then I will need to wait 30 seconds before send another ASCII string to port 2 telling my mount to turn off (it is more difficult then that but the key thing here is I need a wait state after the move and before the power down).

Thanks!

I haven't checked out Sveasoft distro since it isn't a freebie, but I'll have to do some more research. Thanks for the tip!

Wow chrishet!!! GREAT astro pics on your site!!! :lol:

Just registering my shock and awe here....

chrishet said:
Is there anyway to have a delay between commands?
short answer: yes

but it will take more than one rule and it will involve using a virtual output as your 30 second delay timer, but that is pretty easy and we will be glad to help.

kwilcox said:
Wow chrishet!!! GREAT astro pics on your site!!! :lol:

Just registering my shock and awe here....
Thanks KW! It's a lot of fun....right now I need to travel, setup my scope, and camp out in order to take one or two pics...Once I am done with this project I'll be able to control my equipment from anywhere in the world, at any time! That will be really cool!

WayneW said:
chrishet said:

but it will take more than one rule and it will involve using a virtual output as your 30 second delay timer, but that is pretty easy and we will be glad to help.
Thanks Wayne! That is good news.

Well the Automation Outlets boys were very helpful so I placed my order for an M1 box the other day and should get all my stuff by Monday! I'm very excited about this project and will keep ya'll in the loop, and perhaps post some pics.

BTW, I also bought a Pansonic Wireless Network Camera. I realize this won't interface to the ELK but it will be a nice addition to the observatory. One thing I will be able to control with the ELK is the lighting for when I need the live video.

Now all I need is some time off work to complete all the wiring! oh yea and a kitchen pass.......

Happy T-day everyone.

-Chris
http://hetlage.com

WayneW said:
chrishet said:

Ok, I have my ELK up and running, allbeit on my desk at this point (I'll send a pic later-one to be admired!). Great peice of work and fairly easy to setup. I had one issue getting the ELK-M1XEP working. turned out it couldn't negotiate over a long distance in my home network but worked when I put a router next to it.

I'll need this timer logic after all. I tried to chain together several then statements using one of my outputs as a timer and that didn't work. This is what I tried:

Whenever Close Roof (task 3) is Activated
Then Activate Park Telescope 1
Then Turn Output 16 (Out 16) on for 1 min
Then Turn Close Roof Sw (Out 10) on for 35 sec

When I test this it turns on Out 16 and Out 10 on at the same time, I need a delay between Out 16 and Out 10.

Thanks in advance to the feedback....

Back