Unique Automation Project

How about something like this mounted up high near/across the roof opening? If the beam is blocked then DO NOT close the roof. Could even put another across the home position lower and check - if lower IS violated AND upper IS NOT, then close roof.

Steve said:
How about something like this mounted up high near/across the roof opening? If the beam is blocked then DO NOT close the roof. Could even put another across the home position lower and check - if lower IS violated AND upper IS NOT, then close roof.
Hi Steve. I have seen these in a variety of different vendors. Do you know what the beam width is on these? If I can find something that is fairly narrow, like 1 inch or so that would work....

Thanks!
Chris

electron said:
I would think several supervised magnetic contacts in key positions would be able to do the job. What about using a pot to figure out the exact position of the telescope (assuming you can figure out how to link it)? Also, do you have any mechanism in the roof door setup that would stop the door from closing once it hits something (like a garage door)?
Thanks electron. I am considering a garage door sensor as part of this scheme, and that may be good enough - we shall see...Thanks for the feedback!

chrishet said:
Hi Steve. I have seen these in a variety of different vendors. Do you know what the beam width is on these? If I can find something that is fairly narrow, like 1 inch or so that would work....

Thanks!
Chris
I'm not sure why you would need something that narrow to cover a roof opening, I would think just the opposite. In any case, check the specs here.

Steve said:
chrishet said:
Hi Steve.  I have seen these in a variety of different vendors.  Do you know what the beam width is on these?  If I can find something that is fairly narrow, like 1 inch or so that would work....

Thanks!
Chris
I'm not sure why you would need something that narrow to cover a roof opening, I would think just the opposite. In any case, check the specs here.
Thanks Steve for the link. The narrow beam sensor would be to ensure the scope is in the proper position, not to check for obstructions. Anyway good link thanks!

-chris

Update....Got my roof automation working this weekend! Man this works great. Thanks for all the help!!!

Question: Is there a way to control the ELM M1 remotely w/o using the M1XEP?, like from a modem connection. I have the XEP and love it but I am going to do another similar project and need to reduce the costs. I was hoping the RP program would work but it looks like all I can do with it is program the unit. Thanks!

-Chris

chrishet said:
Question: Is there a way to control the ELM M1 remotely w/o using the M1XEP?, like from a modem connection.
Are you needing computer control or would the interactive voice/DTMF stuff work?

WayneW said:
chrishet said:
Question: Is there a way to control the ELM M1 remotely w/o using the M1XEP?, like from a modem connection.
Are you needing computer control or would the interactive voice/DTMF stuff work?
Hi Wayne, thanks for the help.

I realize the M1 has a built in modem but it appears the only application it supports is the RP, and I don't see a way to control the M1 using RP, just programming tools. I am looking for computer control w/o the XEP and remote access via the modem would also be nice. If it can't be done the XEP works perfectly, just drives the price up a bit. Thanks!

Back