Unique Automation Project

I think this is what you want. This uses out16 as a delay timer. You could have something hooked up to it, but I suspect you are just trying to use it as a delay. If that is the case, then I would suggest changing it from out 16 to out 99 or something that doesn't exist to avoid wasting hardware resources.

Whenever Close Roof (task 3) is Activated
Then Activate Park Telescope 1
Then Turn Output 16 (Out 16) on for 1 min

Whenever Output 16 (Out 16) turns off
Then Turn Close Roof Sw (Out 10) on for 35 sec

Thanks Wayne! That did it!

On another note, anyone know why ElkRM doesn't work on IE7? I can get it to work on IE6 and Netscape but no luck with IE7.

-Chris

chrishet said:

On another note, anyone know why ElkRM doesn't work on IE7? I can get it to work on IE6 and Netscape but no luck with IE7.

-Chris
Virtual Keypad is what I meant.....not ELKRM

It works!

elkm1build.jpg

When I get everything installed in the observatory I will share the 'real' pics.

Thanks for all the help!

chrishet said:
chrishet said:

-Chris
I believe it is a Java problem with IE7. It also works with FireFox.

Steve said:
chrishet said:
chrishet said:
Thanks Wayne!  That did it!

On another note, anyone know why ElkRM doesn't work on IE7?  I can get it to work on IE6 and Netscape but no luck with IE7.

-Chris
I believe it is a Java problem with IE7. It also works with FireFox.
or is it an IE7 problem with Java, lol....

I am in the need of a sensor that can tell my ELK when my telescope is in its 'home' position. I was thinking perhaps a photoelectric sensor of some sorts. I've done some searching but most of the photoelectric sensors I've seen are for large area coverage. A reflective sensor would probable be best. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Chris

Hi, Chris:

I've used the econo-beam sensors a lot since the late eighties. They are versatile, reliable, and can certainly interface with the ELK.

However, how well they will work for you will depend on how you utilize them, physically and optically. Those sensors are meant to be used with a retro-reflector, and as a rough rule-of-thumb, you can consider the beam to be just a little smaller than the diameter of the reflector. Due to variables such as ambient IR, temperature and dirt, the device could switch anywhere within the beam, so you would want to keep the beam as small as possible, without running low on IR headroom.

Also, those are certainly not the least expensive solutions . . .

would attaching a magnet to the telescope and attaching a standard magnetic switch to the frame someplace work? How precise do you need to be? In other words, would it ever be "close to home", but not actually in its home position?

WayneW said:
would attaching a magnet to the telescope and attaching a standard magnetic switch to the frame someplace work? How precise do you need to be? In other words, would it ever be "close to home", but not actually in its home position?
I agree with Wayne. I currently use this methodology to monitor my washing machine's dial to tell me when it's finished as shown HERE. The resolution isn't that bad.

Thanks All!

The magnet idea probably won't work for my use but I will look into this more. After looking online a bit I have found some garage door safety sensors that might also work, and they aren't that expensive.

-Chris

Chakara said:
A little more info on the goal might help. Perhaps the telescope could be notched and you could use 1 or 2 roller type of switches?

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?sourceid...F-8&sa=N&tab=wf
Thanks for the reply....The telescope mount is a VERY expensive and delicate instrument (costs as much as a car!) and altering it would not be a good idea - especially where I would need to put a sensor...good ideas and thanks for the thought. I'll take a look at the mount again tomorrow and see if there is any way I could put on a switch but I am pretty sure that is out.

Basically what I need to do is verify the mount is in the home position before I close the roof. The telescope extends above the roof so closing it while the scope is in the way would be a BAD thing, lol....I am building rules that will command the scope to slew to it's home position via a serial port command and I want several sensors in place to ensure there it is indead in this position, and that there are no obstructions, before I issue the roof close command. Similar to a garage door sensor thought...

Thanks again all!

I would think several supervised magnetic contacts in key positions would be able to do the job. What about using a pot to figure out the exact position of the telescope (assuming you can figure out how to link it)? Also, do you have any mechanism in the roof door setup that would stop the door from closing once it hits something (like a garage door)?

Back