UPB Problem

hucker

I am having a strange problem with a US130 UPB switch. It seems to be activating almost all of other UPB lights on 240's and 130's

It is my suspicion that it has to do with link241 and something I must not be clear on. I have checked the load controlled by rocker option. Transmit type is 'link packet'.

Any ideas?

I just ran into the same problem. By default, all new switches seem to use Link 241, so you have to disable the "Transmit" checkbox. I don't remember the exact name, and can't get into my system from here, but it's something like "transmit rocker" in the options tab. It's easy to find.

I just ran into the same problem. By default, all new switches seem to use Link 241, so you have to disable the "Transmit" checkbox. I don't remember the exact name, and can't get into my system from here, but it's something like "transmit rocker" in the options tab. It's easy to find.

Dan:

I've had that problem too. The 'transmit rocker' option is on the 240's, this switch is a 130. On the 130's option tab there is no option for enabling the transmit for a rocker. The options tab only has dimming and LED configuration.

There are bunch of options that I don't understand:

1) What is 'Link Packet Type'
2) What does 'Report light level after any button press or rocker press'

Thanks

Dan:

I've had that problem too. The 'transmit rocker' option is on the 240's, this switch is a 130. On the 130's option tab there is no option for enabling the transmit for a rocker. The options tab only has dimming and LED configuration.

There are bunch of options that I don't understand:

1) What is 'Link Packet Type'
2) What does 'Report light level after any button press or rocker press'

Thanks
The first time I setup a switch I changed the name of the link 241 and started using it. I got the same problem you state. I suggest you restore link 241 and not use it at all. On your us1130, go to the transmit tab and sellect Unused. That will stop the switch from sending the 241 link. Link Packet type is the mode used when not using a repeater. Only reciently a 3 phase repeater has become available. In the future there may be 2 phase repeaters available. Report Light level.... send a status after a rocker press. It is used for systems like Homeseer.

Dave

The solution to this problem is that US130's don't work like the 240's.

On the 240's you setup the 'local link' (241) and use it to control the load, then you uncheck the box that says the rocker transmits. That way you prevent the 240's from triggering every other 240's local links.

The 130 doesn't work like that. As a matter of fact, it can't respond to a link that it transmits. That is why there is no check box to disable the transmit for a given rocker. What was confusing for me was that to configure a 130 in upstart you have to specify a transmit link to enable the buttons that select what the rockers do. Then after you configure the buttons you set the transmit link to 'unused'. Make sure you have the 'load controlled by rocker' pulldown with 'Yes' choosen. That is it.

In general I think upstart works really well but the configuration of the 130's is not intuitive.

On the 240's you setup the 'local link' (241) and use it to control the load, then you uncheck the box that says the rocker transmits. That way you prevent the 240's from triggering every other 240's local links.

The 130 doesn't work like that. As a matter of fact, it can't respond to a link that it transmits. That is why there is no check box to disable the transmit for a given rocker. What was confusing for me was that to configure a 130 in upstart you have to specify a transmit link to enable the buttons that select what the rockers do. Then after you configure the buttons you set the transmit link to 'unused'. Make sure you have the 'load controlled by rocker' pulldown with 'Yes' choosen. That is it.

In general I think upstart works really well but the configuration of the 130's is not intuitive.

I program SA 1130s and US240s every day. Rule of thumb is to create a Link name for every device you have in the house. I know it's a pain in the ass, but when SA UPB switch is activated, it sends a link everytime instead of a "direct command" Link1 - LV High Hats, Link2 - Fireplace etc.

-=*Sharby*=-

I program SA 1130s and US240s every day. Rule of thumb is to create a Link name for every device you have in the house. I know it's a pain in the ass, but when SA UPB switch is activated, it sends a link everytime instead of a "direct command" Link1 - LV High Hats, Link2 - Fireplace etc.

-=*Sharby*=-

Sharby:

What other wisdom do you have on setting up UPB stuff? The link for every device seems like it will chew up a bunch of links, but has the benefit that I can by default control any light from any switch. Right now I 'only' have about 30 links so another 50 won't kill me.

What do you do for naming? I find that I have to name things KitchenOverhead and GarageOverhead because upstart doesn't merge the room+name for you (e.g. Kitche:Overhead). I end up with long names for everything seems cumbersome.

Is there a good rule of thumb for programming up a room with multiple lights? For example in my kitchen all the switches have two toggles, one controls the load (usually the toggle intuitively 'closest' to the load) and the other controls everything in the kitchen. I really love the way you can dim all the lights in a link. This seems to work well but I can't say I designed for it, it just evolved. I keep saying this but UPB rocks!

I'm finding room controllers like the single toggle/4 button or the 8 button are pretty hard for people to remember, they just start hitting buttons. Do you use them? Any good ideas? Custom engraving? They would be so much better if there was an LED for each button!

Back