UPB Repeater Makes Things Worse

Sacedog

I have about 85 UPB switches installed in my house, and have never had great luck with a few of them that are farthest away from the PIM. I have had a HAI UPB phase coupler installed, and get decent signal strength on both phases (45-60 on phase 1, and 6-14 on phase 2).

I decided to plop down the money to get a HAI split phase repeater, in the hopes that it woudl give me better signal strength on phase 2. After installing it today, I ran a network test, and Upstart could not even communicate with most of the devices on phase 2. I thought maybe I got the phases mixed up (the installation instructions specfically state that black goes to phase 1 and red goes to phase 2). I checked, and that looked correct, but I decided to switch them anyway to see if that helped. It did not. I took out the repeater, and put the coupler back in its place, and things worked again.

Does anyone have any guesses as to what the issue might be, and why the coupler performs so poorly? Do I need the coupler and the repeater installed together? If so, do they need seperate circuits?

I have the coupler installed on our main 400A panel, and have a 200A sub-panel inside of the house. Should I have a coupler installed on the sub-panel as well?

Thanks for any advice on how best to set this up.

Just to confirm, are your switches all GenII? Repeaters don't work with 1st gen devices like Simply Automated or earlier models from other manufacturers.

Back