Value of Dimmer status LEDs on UPB switches

AutomatedOutlet

I'm looking at some options and perhaps having some custom manufactured for us. I personally like the light bars but wanted to know your thoughts.
thanks,

Martin

Martin,

My vote was for $5+ dollars. I'm looking to try and choose a technology for going forward and it will likely be either Insteon or UPB. Right now my house is outfitted with V1 Switchlincs and I like the status that the LED's provide. It's also one of the first things that visitors mention during a demonstration.

Comment's about the LED's usually come from the women... they seem to think they are neat. The guys are usually more interested in how the computer is "talking" to the switch.

In my opinion, the LEDs provide some value to a potential customer too. If they are spending $40-$90 for a switch, I think it's important that it doesn't look just like the $.89 switch on the shelf at Home Depot.

***Leaving for Anaheim once I finish this conference call... hope to see you there!

Paul

I have the Insteon V2 and a UPB switch both side by side. My wife actually said she likes the UPB switch better - a 'cleaner' look. I also think part of the problem is at least with the default white/clear on the Switchlinc, it is very bright and unless you are very close to the switch, the small LEDs tend to bleed together and you can't really tell by sitting in the room and looking at the switch what level it really is. Perhaps the other colors work better, or a different design would be more useful. In any case, since people have different tastes, it would be nice to at least have the choice, but people think UPB is already too expensive, so the price on these switches could not realistically increase.

As a UPB user, the on/off LED is nice - mostly for finding the switch in the dark. I'm not sure the value of having a status bar (until you have it, you don't know what you are missing), so I'd probably only pay an extra dollar or two for it...

Cost and taste both come into play here. I chose Insteon primarily because the price of entry was just too high with UPB. I have about 40 devices installed and 90 more to go so the price point of UPB just wasn't feasible. I don't see how they can afford to raise the price of UPB even higher.

As for the bright LEDs; well that turned out to be a big plus for me. Especially for outdoor lights and other lights you cant see from the switch, you want a big bright indicator to remind you they are on. I usually put the blue light pipe over the OFF LED which dims it way down. This is important in bedrooms etc. On the other hand, I use the green pipe over the OFF LED in the front hall and kitchen areas. The slight bluish tint of the White LED combined with the green light pipe results in a nice aqua color that matches my Squeezebox displays and just generally makes the switches look like I paid big "UPB size" bucks instead of the paltry $30 on sale price I really paid.

I would really like to see UPB switches with LEDs!

That said, I don't think the SLv2 looks good, as the led bar is too wide, making the switch narrower and off-center.
2476d.jpg

I prefer the SLv1 look:
2380w.jpg

or the new Leviton ones:
4289_main.jpg

upstatemike,

UPB is not really that much more expensive, if you can get a dealer price. For example, you can buy HAI UPB dimmers with a blue LED for $52.21 from Worthington.

Mark-

Looking at the same pictures I prefer the v2 so I guess personal taste is a big factor. That being said, I hope a lot of people agree with you in preferring the v1 look as I need to sell all the v1 stuff I just replaced to somebody!

Good point about the dealer price narrowing the gap. Unfortunately even a $10 per switch difference translates to over $1,000 over the course of my project. Also there are some problems using UPB with Stargate right now so the X10 compatability of the v2 switches was another key factor in my decision. Also the shallow form factor was very helpful to me. Also the ability to change the LED colors around using light pipes is really cool.

Also the ability to change the LED colors around using light pipes is really cool.
You can change the color of the LED on a UPB switch without any extra cost ($5) or messing with the hardware. A simple setting in UPStart lets you use any of three colors (depending on brand) for the different states. Again, no one design is going to make everyone happy so if Martin can convince someone to market a different style in addition to the others, it would just broaden the appeal - but it can't raise the cost more than a dollar or two if at all.

Looking at the same pictures I prefer the v2
I'd prefer the v2 if the LED bar was built in to the bezel instead of being so fat.

Also the ability to change the LED colors around using light pipes is really cool.

I think it's cooler to change the LED color automatically via powerline commands, like UPB can. :huh:

markthomas said:
I think it's cooler to change the LED color automatically via powerline commands, like UPB can. :huh:
Sure, as long as you can hit my favorite shades. Currently they are white, yellow and aqua! (and sometimes blue for OFF)

Thank you all for all of the great feedback. I'm working with a couple of manufacturers to see what we can work out. I think we'll see some new options. Not sure if it will end up being an AO product or something else at this point but look for new things pretty soon. I personally like the status LEDs.

***Leaving for Anaheim once I finish this conference call... hope to see you there!
Paul, great meeting you and Rocco at the show!

I would really like to see UPB switches with LEDs!
Mark, I agree with you. I also like the look of the V1 switch better than the V2 switch. I think it looks nicer and more expensive. P.S. - talk to me about the pricing on the UPB switches....

Back