Vizia RF windows application ready for testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Mike,

I am not sure I like the Vizia dimmers enough to get the controller yet. From what I can see on the web sites it looks like only the bottom of the dimmier toggles. Is this correct? I had some old X10 switches that were that way and hated them. I have one dimmer ordered just to see if I could live with them.

How does people here like the Vizia switches?

George

From the M1XSP Vizia Guru:

The ELK-M1XSP ViziaRF version firmware (20.0.1) is hardcoded with the correct baud rate and protocol to communicate with the RZC0P. You don't have to be concerned with the S1-S8 jumpers.

Be sure that jumper JP3 is set to the "RS-232" position.
Remove the JP5 jumper.
Set the 4 DIP switches for a Data Bus Address (valid M1XSP addresses are 1 to 7) and enroll the M1XSP to the M1.

Configure the Lighting devices as "Serial Expander" format in ELK-RP. I would also set the "Future" option for the lighting devices that you will use that are the Vizia type.

addition:
Right click on "Lighting" in the ELK-RP Folder Items viewing pane. You should see "Import Lighting Data". The ViziaRF Export File hasn't been added to the list, BUT you can select/use the one for Universal Devices and it will import. This will import the XML file.

Thanks Mike,

I am not sure I like the Vizia dimmers enough to get the controller yet. From what I can see on the web sites it looks like only the bottom of the dimmier toggles. Is this correct? I had some old X10 switches that were that way and hated them. I have one dimmer ordered just to see if I could live with them.

George

The RZI06 switch has 3 "button areas". Hitting the bottom of the large paddle toggles the light on/off (on goes to the most recent level). Hitting the top of the small paddle to the right raises the light level and hitting the bottom lowers it (this is the level the light is at or the level it will go to when turned on -- it's indicated by the LED bar to the left).

Raising the large paddle opens an air gap switch guaranteeing no current and allowing you to safely replace light bulbs.

It's scene capable and you can control the fade rate.

You need don't need a neutral and need a minimum load of around 40 watts. Because of this, if the light bulb burns out out or the dimmer controls a switched outlet with nothing plugged in or where the lamp is turned off, the dimmer doesn't operate. Other Vizia dimmers may not have this constraint.

George

I like the 1 button approach a lot. I have a lot of 3 way switches and because of that you never really know if the top or bottom paddle of a normal toggle switch will turn the light on an off. Automation switches don't have this issue because the top is always for "on", but people the friends and family aren't aware of this. So for me it's easy to just press the bottom part of the switch all the time on the Vizia switches.

I like the 1 button approach a lot. I have a lot of 3 way switches and because of that you never really know if the top or bottom paddle of a normal toggle switch will turn the light on an off. Automation switches don't have this issue because the top is always for "on", but people the friends and family aren't aware of this. So for me it's easy to just press the bottom part of the switch all the time on the Vizia switches.

Ditto - yes there are true "return to neutral" as pointed out in another thread as wel (where the rocker is truely resting in the middle position and can be tapped up or down getting true/on and off. But i have no regrets. WAF is very high and my kids all love them and want scene controllers in their rooms for lamps / etc...

-brad

Thanks for the feedback on the Vizia dimmers. I have one coming so will try it out ant see if I can adjust to it..

George

One more thing. Does the Vizia Dimmers have adjustable ramp rates i.e. slow fade to instant on?

George
Yes there are a variety of setting regarding the fade. You should be able to go to viziarf.com and view a PDF file of the dimmer manual as well.

The ELK-M1XSP ViziaRF version firmware (20.0.1) is hardcoded with the correct baud rate and protocol to communicate with the RZC0P.

The document "Vizia RF Application Notes for the Leviton RS232 Serial Interface RZC0P" mentions two other documents: the "Zensys Command Class Specification" and the "Zensys Device Class Specification." Where did you RZC0P developers find these two documents?

To make full use of the RZC0P, you would need to know the meaning of the 3-digit basic class numbers, generic class numbers, and specific class numbers for all Z-Wave devices.

To send ">SE" commands and to decode "<Nxxx:yyy,yyy,..." messages you would need to know the 3-digit command classes and 3-digit command data.

Please don't tell me that I have to purchase the Z-Wave Developer's Kit to get those two documents. There are enough people tinkering with the RZC0P that I doubt they have all purchased the developer's kit.

The ELK-M1XSP ViziaRF version firmware (20.0.1) is hardcoded with the correct baud rate and protocol to communicate with the RZC0P.

The document "Vizia RF Application Notes for the Leviton RS232 Serial Interface RZC0P" mentions two other documents: the "Zensys Command Class Specification" and the "Zensys Device Class Specification." Where did you RZC0P developers find these two documents?

To make full use of the RZC0P, you would need to know the meaning of the 3-digit basic class numbers, generic class numbers, and specific class numbers for all Z-Wave devices.

To send ">SE" commands and to decode "<Nxxx:yyy,yyy,..." messages you would need to know the 3-digit command classes and 3-digit command data.

Please don't tell me that I have to purchase the Z-Wave Developer's Kit to get those two documents. There are enough people tinkering with the RZC0P that I doubt they have all purchased the developer's kit.
Everything that I have done has been out of the RZC0P documentation which provides a few examples of using >SE but not much. It also lists 4 or 5 basic and generic classes. Other than that I haven't found anything on the net. :lol:

OFFICIAL NAME ANNOUNCEMENT

You've known it as codename Lightcrawler, but the new official application name is LumenLink.

I'll be adding support for PIR devices and will have a new download up in the next few days.

The application will be accessible from http://johnnynine.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back