VoIP Phone Connection OMNI II Pro Calling Party Fails to Hang UP

SierraTech

AT&T is retiring copper (old Tip & Ring) phone lines due to cost of the Battery Plant in CO to handle -48 VDC power, as they deploy Fiber (albeit very slow change over). Cable companies such as Charter/Spectrum also have dedicated DOCIS Channels for T-BAND VoIP phone service.

The issue I have observed, is if someone calls in, and fails to terminate their end of the call, the OMNI II Panel ends up keeping line ceased, and re-rings connected phone.

I noticed there is a setup mentioned below: "Pick Up After Hang UP" The Default is "1".

Is this causing behavior on VoIP RE-RING?

I know this is so you can call in (1-Ring) Hang up and call back to access OMNI PRO on phone if you have an answering machine. Is this causing the issue or is there a better setting in "OFF-HOOK" Detection (Set to 69) to address the different timing from a VoIP modem?

I never observed this when controller is connected to old fashion copper POTS line, and "Pick Up After Hang UP" is always set to (enabled).

-Bob

Due to the outrageous price AT&T has been charging me for an analog POTS line, I recently switched to their UVerse VOIP telephone. service.  I am now seeing this exact same issue with my OmniPro II, it that I can never hang-up to end the call, I have to wait for the other side to hang-up and end it.

Did you ever find a solution for this?

jerryawesley said:
Due to the outrageous price AT&T has been charging me for an analog POTS line, I recently switched to their UVerse VOIP telephone. service.  I am now seeing this exact same issue with my OmniPro II, it that I can never hang-up to end the call, I have to wait for the other side to hang-up and end it.

Did you ever find a solution for this?
Hi Jerry,

No this has been an issue ever since I moved to a VoIP line.  I used to be on Charter, and that is when I started having the issue (around 2012). Like you POTs just got too expensive, so I moved to Charter (now Spectrum) to save over $25.00 per month.  I have since switched back to AT&T due to all the outages we were suffering on Charter, which worried me about reliability since we have to be monitored for Fire.

Since switching back to AT&T U-Verse the problem still exist, and drives me crazy! I have not had the time to experiment since I'm attempting to solve other issues I've been dealt with.  I did talk with AT&T Tech I know in town, and he did confirm VoIP timing is different, hence Omni keeps line up until calling party hangs up.

It seems "Pick Up After Hang UP" set to "1". may be the culprit, but haven't had the time to experiment. I've been meaning to call Leviton, but it's way down on my list of projects.

AT&T wants everyone off of copper eventually due to cost of -48V battery plant in CO.

-Bob

Still wondering if anyone has addressed this.

It really is annoying when calling party fails to hang up!

I haven't messed with "OFF-HOOK" Detection (Set to 69), due to the lack of documentation of this parameter (plus no time).

VoIP has been around for quite a while now, thought Leviton might have addressed this in a previous firmware update (I know back in 2003, I had to ship my board to HAI for them to update phone interface, never found out what the change was).

Here went from AT&T  / MCI copper to Ooma VOIP & now recently to an Obi202.  There is a setting on the Ooma web page for an alarm connection. 

The Ooma setting has worked fine for me with the OmniPro 2 with originally the NextAlarm service and today the new alarm service.

Suggesting here to switch to Ooma (free) rather than utilize you ISP VOIP.  

pete_c said:
Here went from AT&T  / MCI copper to Ooma VOIP & now recently to an Obi202.  There is a setting on the Ooma web page for an alarm connection. 

The Ooma setting has worked fine for me with the OmniPro 2 with originally the NextAlarm service and today the new alarm service.

Suggesting here to switch to Ooma (free) rather than utilize you ISP VOIP.  
I wonder what the setting actually did? It must change response to "ON-HOOK" or hook flash to terminate the call if not originated from phone. It's a problem when phone is called (not the originator). If I originate a call "ON-HOOK" terminates the connections without issue. Most of our AT&T techs don't know much about VoIP. I have discussed with them in the past, and they seem to be in the dark.

Hmmm, that gives me an idea, I will experiment with features I can change online (like Call Waiting) flash hook.

Thanks Pete for your input!

I agree with Pete.  Drop your ISP VOIP phone system.  I'd recommend going with the Obi 202 however.  Other devices (like Ooma) are still proprietary and require that you use their monthly service.  The Obi devices are just little boxes that tie an existing analog phone system into a "roll your own VOIP" phone system.  That little device acts as the intermediary between your VOIP service provider and the analog phone system.  It doesn't require that you use any proprietary service from Obi.

There are plenty of VOIP service providers out there and most a pretty inexpensive.  You can get an unlimited type plan if you still use your home phone a lot, or you can pay by the minute if you don't.  I think Obi "recommends" Anveo (just means they are getting a commission from Anveo), but you can choose from several plans that start at about $5/mo (which includes E911 service).  But you should be able to use just about any VOIP service available.

We dropped our "land line" perhaps a dozen years ago, but still wanted home phone service because we had small children who didn't have cell phones at the time.  We only pay about $5/mo (including E911 service).  It's such a low cost that we've kept it even though our kids are older and everyone now has cell phones. It's a small price to pay to ensure anyone can pick up a phone and call 911 in an emergency.

Back