webcam software feature matrix

Unfortunately I don't have specifics on the card.. I purchased it from a seller named tywong888 on ebay. I just looked up to see if he has any more for sale, but I only found the 4 channel. You can always try and email him to find out. The auction title was "LOWEST 213+35 8Ch 240F/S DVR DIGITAL RECORDER CCTV".

The card came with software that I did not use. Instead I used a a generic WDM driver Link to get the card working for Active Webcam.

You found a multi port pci card which works with regular WDM compatible software?! Are you able to record/monitor all feeds at the same time?

Yep, all feeds are recorded simultaneously. It has 240 fps to share between all ports and since I use 7 cameras, each camera has about 34 fps. The card has a chip for each port, so windows actually sees it as 8 different cards. The WDM driver is installed 8 times and in active webcam you select the correct driver # to match the port.

Holy cow, I have been looking for a card like that since forever! Do you remember how much you paid for the card?

Actually after rereading that auction title, I can guess how much you paid lol. I am checking ebay right now, eventho I hate that place. I just have to make sure I find the exact same chipset so I can use those drivers as well. Btw, what would be the min. frames per second requirement for recording snapshots, and smooth video?

I've found sooo many things I've needed on Ebay, I can never knock 'em. No major problems yet. I'd send a quick message to that seller, he may have some. I tell Active Webcam to take 6 snapshots per MINUTE per camera for my website as I don't need to overwhelm the server with anything more. I then record the video at 9 fps to keep the maximum number of days it keeps the video archive as high as possible (I allow 20GB per camera). Then I set the motion sensitivity according to the camera. Some of my cameras are in more sensitive locations so I adjust them based on the average motion detected. It will email me as many past frames since motion was detected that I indicate. I have it send 4-6.

Obviously if you need more FPS for smoother video you can adjust accordingly, and get larger harddrives to accomodate the amount of time you want the archive available.

Here's the same card I purchased for sale on Ebay:

Link

Also, a website that sells it: Link

Again, I don't recommend using the included software, you will be better off using Active Webcam or a similar product. And I can tell you it works perfectly with it. You install the included driver and then upgrade the driver to the Btwincap WDM driver.

Stinger,
First of all let me say WOW on that basement! Tell me that was professionally designed. If you did that then you must be a designer. It had me wanting to sell my house and buy a new home with a basement. Not to mention I may be fired tomorrow from going through the 200-300 pictures:)

Now on to the video card. What kind of CPU usage do you see typically when it's streaming? Can you view each camera as if they were on separate machines meaning a live streaming page for each?

Thank Rupp! I made the basement design about a year after we had the house built, and two years later we gave it the green light to build. The builder made everything we designed come to life, they did amazing work.

The Server: Dell 400 SC 2.8Ghz Processor w/ 2 GB RAM
Dedicated for: Webserver, SMTP and Active Webcam
Average Utilization: 36-42%

Its live streaming (all independent) for all 7 feeds currently hooked up, plus the remote feeds from the Webcams on other computers (den and kitchen) running active webcam. You can adjust the settings for each camera however you would like.

Screenshots:
screenshot1.jpg

Bad example since it's dark out, but should give you an idea..
screenshot2.jpg

I just tried out Active Webcam, all I have to say is WOW, that software has changed, it does everything I have been asking for, and even more. I am going to run the trial for a while, I will probably end up switching to this program.

Dan,
Does the $39 (if I remember correctly) do all you need or will you need the $99(?) version.

electron said:
I just tried out Active Webcam, all I have to say is WOW, that software has changed, it does everything I have been asking for, and even more. I am going to run the trial for a while, I will probably end up switching to this program.
Two words:

HOW TO :D

If you want motion detection, you want at least the Pro version ($49), but I want the $89 version, eventho it is too expensive, it even includes a watch dog to monitor your system and webcam process, so if it locks up it can restart it. There are many more reasons why I want the Deluxe version, check out this comparison chart here:

http://www.pysoft.com/ActiveWebCamDifferentLicenses.htm

Not sure what to do yet.

Back