webcam software feature matrix

Dan,
What are the advantages of the multi-port card over a good quality switcher?

You would be able to record all sources at the same time using the webcam software motion detection function (instead of relying on physical motion detectors). I tired the 'switching' route, and I just didn't like it, plus it wasn't reliable/fast enough.

Dan,
Are you going to get one of those cards? The price really isn't that bad considering the cost of a good switcher.

I don't know what card to get (or where rather), I have had some really bad experiences with PayPal, so I really don't want to sign up for an account again. The 8channel/240fps is overkill for me, I only want a 4channel card. What are you going to do?

The DVR8082 card is the only card I can spot that has the same number of decoder chips as it has inputs. The DVR4161 & DVR4044AV appear to have 4 chips and 16 inputs, so you might be able to use 1 of the inputs from each group of 4? Or the DVR800 appears to have 4 chips and 8 inputs? Anybody brave enough to try one of those? Some have audio, some don't, but they all support motion detection.

I emailed him a while ago with that request, including more info about the manufacture/model/chipset.

I don't know if I mentioned it previously, but the DVR8082 card definitely doesn't support audio. I route my audio to my TVs anyway from the cameras, so it saves me another RCA splitter. I still wouldn't recommend the software, as I recall they come with pico2000.

If you don't need more than four channels, even taking into account future growth, than I'd find a four channel card with 120fps. I know my search was difficult, but that was primarily because I was trying to find a PCI 2.2 card that would work in my first Dell. I bought this one thinking it was a universal PCI card (because of notch in front and back), but it wasn't, so instead of continuing my search I bought another $300 Dell Server with PCI 2.1 and rearranged my setup.

I just got a reply from the guy that sells these cards:

"We accept bidpay, I am now out of town and will send
you the manual next Monday. For the DVR card 4161, it
is made in China and the hardware is 100% compatible
with Konidom, the chip set is Fusion 848A."

Anyone try the DVR4161 card yet? I am looking into setting up a system at my dad's house and then mine. Will the DVR4161 work with Active WebCam?

Rick

I'm interested if that card will work as well. I only need 3 inputs and while the 8 port one is nice, I'd rather save my cash for other toys....errr, I mean required items for the home.

I found what looks to be the same card as the 8 cam version from kitparts, but $100 cheaper on ebay card so I took the chance and will let you know how well it works for an 8 port 240fps card.

If that card has the same chipset as the one sold by Kitparts, then this is one hell of a deal. Nice find! Keep us posted!

Back