Weigand buzzer questions

SnyperBob

Hey guys,

I am bench testing my Elk UltraProx Weigand Reader. I got it working great with my keypad. I have two keyfobs set to arm/disarm the system. Now my question is, does anyone know how to hook up the buzzer on a Weigand?

I want the keypad inside the house, and the weigand outside the house. It would be nice to have the weigand buzz so I know it registered my keyfob. The pad will be mounted so I wont be able to see the LED, so a buzz would be ideal.

I was thinking I should be able to hook the blue wire from the Weigand (listed as Negative - Input), to the keypad's output. And then set up a rule so that if keypad 02 is activated, turn on output 194 for 2 seconds. From what I understand, keypad 2's output should be 194?

Well I wired this up and set it up, but it's not working. The weigand works and registers fobs, but no buzzer. Just to check to make sure I programmed it right, I just set a simple rule to turn on the buzz if I hit the F4 key, still nothing. I don't even see anything in the logs saying the output was turned on....not sure if that would be viewable in logs or not.

Is this possible to do? Do I have to run extra wires to run the buzzer from the M1G and not the keypad? TIA

ok, maybe to make it easier I should ask this...

What is a "switched negative"? The buzzer on the Weigand is listed as a switched negative. The M1G install manual says the original keypads had an output that was a switched negative. But the newer keypads are switched positive outputs?

Switched negative means that it rests at some voltage (5v 12v whatever) and when the output is turned on the output is pulled to 0volts.

If you take the buzzer wire on the keypad and tap it to ground it should beep.

If your output is a switched positive you can use a very small relay like a reed relay or something close and use your positive output to turn on the relay and the relay to switch the buzzer wire to ground through the normally open contacts. You could also use a transistor circuit by my electronics design is a bit rusty to be giving advice to others...

Switched negative means that it rests at some voltage (5v 12v whatever) and when the output is turned on the output is pulled to 0volts.

If you take the buzzer wire on the keypad and tap it to ground it should beep.

If your output is a switched positive you can use a very small relay like a reed relay or something close and use your positive output to turn on the relay and the relay to switch the buzzer wire to ground through the normally open contacts. You could also use a transistor circuit by my electronics design is a bit rusty to be giving advice to others...

Thanks for the info. I can't believe no one else has hooked up the buzzer on the Weigand like I want to do, to provide some insight on how to do this.

I may have to do more testing to get this working. Does anyone have one of the older keypads that has that a switched negative? lol

You may want to put an ad in the classifieds... WTB Old ELk Keypad with switched Negative outputs...

I'm not sure if anyone would know, but is the Weigand reader supposed to buzz when a fob is swiped? I've had this thing hooked up 4 different ways and consulted everyone and the buzzer doesn't work. I was just wondering if you guys/gals ever had any experience with one of these readers or not.

The directions for the Weigand leave a lot of open questions. There's separate wires for the buzzer and LED, but when only wiring the 4 wires to get the reader to work (not using the special LED wire), the LED also works. So I'm wondering if the buzzer is supposed to work on it's own as well and this reader is bad/broken.

Can you let me know how you are using your readers and how they work? I guess my only other option would be to mount a speaker outside of the house for arm/disarm annoucements

I'm not sure if anyone would know, but is the Weigand reader supposed to buzz when a fob is swiped? I've had this thing hooked up 4 different ways and consulted everyone and the buzzer doesn't work. I was just wondering if you guys/gals ever had any experience with one of these readers or not.

The directions for the Weigand leave a lot of open questions. There's separate wires for the buzzer and LED, but when only wiring the 4 wires to get the reader to work (not using the special LED wire), the LED also works. So I'm wondering if the buzzer is supposed to work on it's own as well and this reader is bad/broken.

Can you let me know how you are using your readers and how they work? I guess my only other option would be to mount a speaker outside of the house for arm/disarm annoucements

Bob,

I am trying to find out for you. Also if necessary you can program the panel to chirp the siren for confirmation.

ok, thank you.

I've been trying to find out any more info I can about getting this to work. I found this thread:
http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php...&hl=Weigand

It basically says that Elk KP3 I'm using doesn't have power for the Weigand. The KP3 only has the connector for two data lines. I didn't realize this, and just hooked the Weigand's power (pos and neg) to the databus power and negative. ie...the same pos and neg that the KP3 uses from the databus.

Is this incorrect?

Maybe the Weigand doesn't have enough power to run the buzzer and that's why only the LED works? That thread I linked above was talking about an external power supply for the Weigand, but the OP also talks about his Weigand buzzing. So I don't know. I'll try to rewire on my testbench and see if I run the Weigand's power wires to the M1G power that's onboard, if that'll work.

I just need someone to tell me if the darn Weigand is actually supposed to buzz. And if it does have an onboard buzzer, does it automatically beep/buzz when a fob is swiped, or do I have to program it to buzz. Those are my most basic questions.

ok, thank you.

I've been trying to find out any more info I can about getting this to work. I found this thread:
http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php...&hl=Weigand

It basically says that Elk KP3 I'm using doesn't have power for the Weigand. The KP3 only has the connector for two data lines. I didn't realize this, and just hooked the Weigand's power (pos and neg) to the databus power and negative. ie...the same pos and neg that the KP3 uses from the databus.

Is this incorrect?

Maybe the Weigand doesn't have enough power to run the buzzer and that's why only the LED works? That thread I linked above was talking about an external power supply for the Weigand, but the OP also talks about his Weigand buzzing. So I don't know. I'll try to rewire on my testbench and see if I run the Weigand's power wires to the M1G power that's onboard, if that'll work.

I just need someone to tell me if the darn Weigand is actually supposed to buzz. And if it does have an onboard buzzer, does it automatically beep/buzz when a fob is swiped, or do I have to program it to buzz. Those are my most basic questions.
Yes it should Beep. I have installe about 10 of these but I used a KAM which had power to them as well for mag locks. All but one of them beep and it just went bad after a while but the LED still works. I am not sure if one wire is for the Beep but I know I only used 4 wires to hook it up. I used there Tech support when I did these.

Yes They beep when the fob is used. I have installed 10 of these but with a KAM but the power does come from the Data bus and only 4 wires. I talked to tech support at wiegand and they did help.

ok, thanks. I'm almost wondering then if my Weigand's buzzer is broken. I tried multiple ways to hook it up, but initially I hooked the +12v and -12v to the databus' ones. And then wired the two data lines, for a total of 4 wires hooked up going to the Weigand. No beeps but the LED lights and changes states when I swipe a fob.

Sorry, what does KAM mean?

The KAM is from ELK it is the same as a Keypad but is used for installing access control like magnets and request to exit buttons and card readers.

Bob,

The buzzer is triggered by applying a negative trigger to the blue wire. The problem is that the keypads have a positive trigger output. So to do this you could have a rule written to activate teh positive output of the keypad which can trip a relay. Have the relay switch the negative on to the blue wire which will sound the buzzer for the length of time you choose in your rule.

To test the reader touch the blue wire to the black and the buzzer should sound.

Any problems email me and I we can set up a telephone call to go into more detail

I just installed the ELK proximity sensors (the little black boxes) and got the buzzers working in two different ways.

Basically,what I did was hook the positive output on the KP2 to the positive input on an Elk 912 relay.

I then hooked all the grounds (data bus, keypad, etc.) to the negative input on the relay. I then put a wire from the negative input on the relay to the COM on the relay and hooked both the proximity readers LED and Buzzer wires to the N/O on the relay. After doing this, I can turn both on at the same time using an ELK rule, HOWEVER, it already buzzes and lights up when I present a card so I didn't need to add a rule.

I don't know if hooking both the LED and Buzzer wires together does that, but it works on both the readers I installed!

The sounder built into the prox reader is a piezo sounder. Both the LED and "buzzer" activate momentarily when a card is read (regardless of whether it is valid or not). The sound is actually a fairly high pitched beep as opposed to a "buzz" which is probably what you are expecting to hear. The separate wires are provided to separately trigger LED and "buzzer". For example: if you wanted the "buzzer" to sound for say 5 seconds IF and only if the card was valid then a rule would be needed to activate an output and that output would need to be wired to activate a relay that would switch "-" (neg) to the blue wire.

Back