What automation hardware (brain, switches) to get these days?

htsource

Hi,

We finally moved into the new house over the weekend, I'm now looking for new hardware for security, light switches and maybe new controller (being software based like Homeseer, or hardware controller).

In the old house, I have an ACT X10 coupler/repeater installed for all x10 modules, liked it a lot except few times if someone was messing around with the system, it could go crazy for a bit. I also run Homeseer 1.7 at the time, didn't bother to upgrade to version 2.0. I also use MainLobby for front end. Been out of the loop for the last little while for home automation.

I'm thinking of the following as far as hardware goes:

a) ELK M1 Gold security panel
B) Z-wave switches, mix with some older x10 Keypadlincs
c) not sure which but a thermostat that can be controlled by the computer
d) touchpanels in various areas
e) hardware controller or computer based running Homeseer
f) camera integration so I can actually see who's at the door by using the touchpanel

Thanks,
Simon

Simon,

Welcome back ! Been a while !

Still running HS2 and the old X10 stuff here !

Others can help you out with the new stuff !

Neil

I'm thinking of the following as far as hardware goes:

a) ELK M1 Gold security panel
B) Z-wave switches, mix with some older x10 Keypadlincs
c) not sure which but a thermostat that can be controlled by the computer
d) touchpanels in various areas
e) hardware controller or computer based running Homeseer
f) camera integration so I can actually see who's at the door by using the touchpanel

Thanks,
Simon

A. I did this, purchased the ELK M1G.
B. Z-Wave with add on ELK-M1XZW. X10 is right on the Elk it's self with a standard RJ connection to a PSC05 or TW523 (for two way).
C. ELK-M1XSP to controll either Aprilaire 8870, RCS TR16 or TR40 and HAI RC Thermostats. No computer needed!
D. ELK-TS07 touchscreen with built-in ElkRF software, it's PoE supported as well for a simple Cat5e installation.
E. Entirely hardware (although a Homeseer plugin for the Elk is available, but why add a computer if not necessary)
F. Check, TS07 touchscreen natively supports the following cameras and DVR's as taken from Elks website.

Cameras:
Hunt HTN-7600G
Panasonic BL-C10A
Panasonic BB-HCM311A (uses BL-C10A settings)
Panasonic BL-C30A (uses BL-C10A settings)
Visiontech (VIP1)
Vivotek PZ6112
DVRs:

Dedicated Micros Digital Sprite 2 (Old and New Versions)
Dedicated Micros ECO4 (uses Digital Sprite 2 (old) settings)

Through in Russound support too!

Now add on HomeSeer and Mainlobby if you want to use other touchscreens and computers and you have a system that everyone will admire B)

Done deal with the M1 Gold system then B)

Too bad I couldn't run all the wires I was going to, but I've retrofit the old house before so it can be done, although more pain!!

Neil, glad to hear from you, still the same email? Send me an email if you like?

Thanks,
Simon

Back