Wheere to install in ceiling speakers?

mmmarkiewicz

Hello

I was just wondering where I should install my speakers in my house. Right now I'm doing my master bedroom where my Tv will be mounted on the wall I just wont to have 2 speakers in that room. Room size is 18' X 11'

------------------------18'---------------------
| |
| 6' @ 6' @ 6' |
| | 11'
| |
| TV |
------------------------------------------------

next room will be my living, dining room, same rectangular size 20' x 11', that room will be only for listening to the music and I would like to have only 2 speakers in that room, another room will be my family room where I want to do 5.1, size is 13' x 11, and my last is kitchen, and the size for kitchen is 20' x 10', in kitchen only for music.

Thanks for suggestions.

M.

Not to discourage suggestions from here, but HTD.com offers free speaker placement consulting if you can give them a drawing.

from my experience it matters very little, try and keep them 18" away from any wall and if there is an area you are going to be spending most of your time like a desk or something try not to put one right over it
for the 5.1 I think in ceiling/wall speakers are a terrible idea

from my experience it matters very little, try and keep them 18" away from any wall and if there is an area you are going to be spending most of your time like a desk or something try not to put one right over it
for the 5.1 I think in ceiling/wall speakers are a terrible idea

Curious why you think in-wall / ceiling speakers for 5.1 is not a good idea?

I have in-wall / ceiling speakers throughout my house and will probably do it again on my next house. I've had standard-style speakers before and I can't tell any audible difference, and my wife and I both enjoy the speakers being in the wall and out of the way... they don't have to be moved for cleaning and no one ever bumps into them. That said, I don't know what's not to like...

I have done a number of other installations where in-wall speakers were used, including using in-ceiling speakers for rear-surrounds, and another where all speakers except the sub was in the ceiling. I don't know of anyone who wasn't pleased with the results. Of coarse, the latter installations were compromises, but there were restrictions as to why the speakers needed to be in the ceiling in those cases and the user(es) understood that.

In-ceiling speakers for a TV kind of suck - sound comes from above the TV. You get used to it quickly but it may annoy guests. My cheap L-R in-walls, for the Family Room TV, are positioned high on the wall, and I have adjusted fine to the sound.

The quality of in-wall speakers generally lags behind floor-standing. But, if you have the cash, better quality in-walls are good for L-C-R. For just background music, most in-ceilings and in-walls are fine.

Shallow on-walls might be a good compromise, for the L-C-R.

Moving my L-R FR in-walls to the TV level, and upgrading to a higher price point, is on my to-do list. I may go with on-walls, as they need to be 'toed in'.

My FR 5.1 rear speakers are in-ceiling, and I've been happy with them, but if they weren't there when I moved in, I would have used in-wall speakers for the rears.

I have about 9 rooms with mostly in wall speakers, 3 rooms with in ceiling speakers. It depends on the quality of speakers - honestly though I don't hear a major different when listening to music. I have a preference though for in wall speakers, as I feel they fill the room better and are easier to install (retrofit). For me, aesthetics are more important, evenly spacing them around the ceiling fans and lights. Ceiling speakers, best case scenerio your head is about 6 feet from the speakers and I feel that the sound varies too much when you move around.

Proficient are slightly superior to Monoprice, IMO, for budget/contractor grade/architectural in-ceilings.

Worthington/ASIHome sells Proficient.

As stated, I would spend more on the family room/HT/LR L-C-R speakers, and step up from architectural/contractor grade.

And because you didn't ask about in-walls, I'll say it again. Don't use in-ceiling speakers for L-C-R, if there is ANY way to avoid it. Sometimes you must.

Here is a shot of my living room about 4 years ago when I first got everything installed (including the entertainment stand which I custom built):

hpim1874lj7.jpg

I wish something other than bowling was on at the time, but it's what I got...

I do agree with what the others have said... I don't advise the use of ceiling speakers for LCR by any means, but if it's the only thing that you can do, it does work and I know people who are happy with it. If this is done, I certainly recommend the models that are angled, so that they can face toward the listening position, rather than just straight down. I don't know about other brands, but Proficient does have speakers designed specifically for this: http://www.proficien...ng-lcr-speakers

I looked at NXG, some time ago. I didn't see much advantage to Monoprice.

Most budget/contractor/architectural grade speakers are very similar, and room acoustics dominate over speaker quality, for background music.

If one is looking for the next step up, for whole house audio, I'd suggest adding a subwoofer to those zones where it's needed. Haven't done it myself, yet.

I looked at NXG, some time ago. I didn't see much advantage to Monoprice.

Most budget/contractor/architectural grade speakers are very similar, and room acoustics dominate over speaker quality, for background music.

If one is looking for the next step up, for whole house audio, I'd suggest adding a subwoofer to those zones where it's needed. Haven't done it myself, yet.

I like the idea of adding a subwoofer to the zones, I have an extra subwoofer that will work well for that. Its a good idea, adding a subwoofer changes everything about the sound for the better.

Back