Which UPB switch do you recommend?

think i figured out why. single tap's default to local load control. when i moved this control to a custom double tap no issue. so i switched the config to a 240 in the same bank, to use links exclusively, and made this one the role of the communal area. problem solved, and root cause found.

Hi everyone...

just a quick update on the Gen 1/2/3... I have added in my own house some new HLC Gen3 dimmers. I have now a mix number of switches from all gen 1, 2 and 3 in my house.

I also have just complete house with 50 HLC CFL Gen3 devices too. That whole house is using GU10 LED bulb style recessed lights that are not "supported" in the suggested light bulb list but it does work anyway. Not super smooth curve but it does work.

Difference I have seen in Gen3 is that they react a lot faster than the previous generation in sending their status and also when receiving links. As soon you release the rocker, it sends it's status quickly. Also the scene switch also react a lot faster specially when you bright/dim with the on/off buttons. Once you let go, it stops instantly where as the older version were sluggish and took time to stop ramping up/down when you let go the keys.

Also, the Gen3 respond better in noisy environments. The last project I have done is really noisy (as reported by upstart) from the HVAC system but the HLC devices works extremely well.

For the CFL Gen3, they can control incandescant lighting but there are two things you must know. They won't dim below 10% (adjustable in upstart 10-100%) so you cannot have a light level of 1-10% and last thing is that the last 90-100% dimming curve is happening extremely fast when you ramp up/down lighting levels. It gives a weird dimming curve... smooth ramp up until 90% than it gets like 3 time faster and get to a 100%.

I think that you could use a regular dimmer with CFL/LED type but with the regular ones, you cannot set a low dimming level limit.

This is just to update the original question on the thread on what to choose where I had suggest to take a look at the new Gen3 HLC devices.

Thanks everyone !

Back