Who uses Girder for home automation ...

electron

Administrator
Staff member
After playing with Girder again, I started looking at how much it can do in a home automation environment, so I am wondering who is using Girder as the main component in their HA setup, and what hardware do you use?

I used to use Girder when there was no other choice to control an app. Since, between Homeseer and MainLobby, all my hardware / software is controllable directly. So, no need for Girder.

Dan,
I've heard of many users using it but what kinds of things are you using it for?

I use it on one of my MCE machines, so I could use an old Pinnacle PCTV remote instead of having to invest in a new MCE remote/transceiver. The other advantage is that by doing this, my HA setup knows when I push play/pause/stop (it relays the information to another Girder client on the HS machine), so it can dim the lights to the correct level.

I just started using it in my car, so I can use Voice Recognition, and will probably use it to monitor/control other aspects of my car (using relays, I/O boards, etc.).

I use Girder on my htpc. It's not setup yet but I'm also going to use it to lower the light level in the living room if the lights are on and maybe close the blinds when a movie starts.

I love Girder, it's a great little app but it's a bugger to learn though.

Who uses Girder for home automation ...

I do :blink:

what hardware do you use?

W800
Cm17a
USB-UIRT
CM11A

Switches, Modules, Palmpads, motion sensors, DS10a, window blinds, TTS, VR, Web Control, email, phonecalls (security system), App control, Desktop Icons, HT equipement, Morning Wake-up routine, Reminders, etc. etc.

Around the bend.... multi-zone audio.

taking this a bit off topic, but Treetop, when you've finished your multi-zoned audio project I expect a full and complete write-up.

Also, were those files any help?

There was a post on avsforum about a guy who used Girder along with the parallel port plug in to activate his electric door strike at his apartment building. He could send himself a text message from his cell phone to his AIM account and activate the door strike to let himself into the building if he lost his keys or got locked out. I thought this was a neat idea and could possibly be used for other things such as turning on lights or opening the garage door in my home.

Kenny

hotwire said:
There was a post on avsforum about a guy who used Girder along with the parallel port plug in to activate his electric door strike at his apartment building...
Which forum? I just did a few SEARCHes and couldn't find it. ;)

Back