Whole House Audio - ABUS

tbeckman

My house has been wired for an ABUS system... if I had known better at the time I would have run the speaker wire from the speakers to the head unit as well.... but didn't.

With the current wiring structure in place, I am trying to choose an ABUS system that will work for me. I have been looking online for reviews but typing in "abus" doesn't seem to return which manufactors make an abus system? I have seen Russound and a few others like Channel Vision and OnQ. I am most impressed with Russound... but wanted to know my other options prior to purchasing something. Does Nuvo make a ABUS system? When I looked at their manuals the speakers all appear to connect directly to the head unit.

I use ELKM1, Insteon and PowerHome... so I am definately looking for RS232 support, I only need one source... but won't complain to have many. I really plan on making my computer the source for audio, but may want more than one source if I put multiple sound cards in the computer. I also have about 12 zones, so it needs to be flexible for expanding in the future.

Our there other options out there with this type of wiring structure that I should be looking at like SONOS or Control 4? I wish I could find a site that reviewed ABUS systems side by side.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Has anyone else had any experience with ABUS or a solution to do otherise? IF RS232 is not an option... what are everyone's other choices for a system. Thanks.

I have been thinking about going ABUS as well, whatever I get I want RS232 control as well.

I have been looking at this one
Leviton Architectural Edition "Powered by JBL" 7.1 LVHKAVR350

Found
http://www.homecontrols.com/cgi-bin/main/c...wered-by-JBL-71

Or this one (Not ABUS but looks is RS232 Controlled)
HTD MCA66SETW

Found
http://www.htd.com/s.nl/sc.12/category.3641/.f

The Leviton seems cool because I can use it in the home theater as well as audio distribution.
If I get the HTD model, I would still need a receiver.

Just make sure when looking at HK units that it can actually be controlled via the RS-232 port. A lot of them are "For Service Only".

Does anyone else have any experience with ABUS and what systems they may be using... I would really like to purchase something soon.. but trying to do some homework... thanks for your help.

I have a 4 source, 4 zone, 4 sub-zone ABus system here. It works very well, has for years. The Abus system is not controllable via RS232, strictly IR, but that hasn't been a problem it's all built in and works very nicely.

I use Russound's ABUS often for customers and I think it's a good solution for lower budget music systems.

I don't think you'll find any ABUS system with serial control because ABUS doesn't have serial control built into the protocol. The latest ABUS system from Russound has a serial port, but as already mentioned it's used only for service (firmware updates).

I've also put in a bunch off them for customers, I was impressed enough that I installed it here as well. While other system have since gone beyond it with features and price, it's still a very fine whole house system, especially linked to something other than just a CD player. using it in conjunction with a pvr gives me very nice control and on screen displays on any TV.

Back