Why is 'Elk On-Line Training ' Pinned at the top? Help with a new build and type of wiring needed?

Find some glassbreak sensors and look at their manuals.  The ShatterProIII for instance - there are certain installation criteria that come into play when installing a glassbreak and determining how much it'll "hear".  There's no simple answer - it has to do with distance, type of glass, type of window coverings, etc... but generally speaking one should cover several windows to a space.

Once you start to get the hang of this stuff you'll realize it's really about using different sensors as a trigger - they can trigger an IO/Linc, a zone on an Elk M1, an input on an Arduino, on an X10 DS10a transmitter, or anything else - and what happens after is up to you; same with outputs - at the end of the day, it's just relays acting as "light switches" making a connection between two wires or breaking them... or moving a wire from one thing to another.  Once those concepts make sense, the system they're hooked to is pretty interchangeable.

Of course, without the right wire in place in the beginning, this all gets a lot harder - so pull wire now while you can.

For the windows, a lot of security professionals would group them in the room - personally I'd home run everything then make those zone-combining decisions later.  The wire is cheap - and if you're drilling the holes and running the wire anyway, it's of negligible difference whether you're running 1 or 3 wires... but down the road you could really kick yourself for not having run them all.

If you haven't already, think of water sensors under the kitchen sink, behind toilets and next to tubs, under bathroom sinks - all places that water can overflow and cause problems... don't forget behind the refrigerator! 

No matter what you do, I gurantee once you get the hang of this, you'll have some wires you never use, but lots of places you wish you had more... so don't cheap out on your one and only chance ever to do this.

Thank you all very much. I started out just a few days ago unable to understand a single thing mentioned in the basic training video. Thanks to your help, and watching and reading the material over and over again, Now I can confidently say I will be able to install and program my system which will include the isy-994i, Elk mk1 Gold and Insteon devices.

I am sure I will find the need for help as I go along, but I finally have an overall picture of how this is all put together, what is controlling what, what is being controlled, how to put all of this to use etc.....wow! what a system....my home is going to  be a lot more sophisticated than I ever thought possible just a few weeks ago (All started out with me trying to find a universal remote like roomie, lol!)

Best of luck to you.

Just to stress, don't be stingy on pulling wires.  Extra wires are never a problem.  Personally, I used lots of conduit, not for security wires, but to everywhere in my house I might put a compuer, tv, or whatever other LV device ever in the future.

And check out the UD forum.  The help there is great for Insteon/ISY stuff.

Lou Apo said:
Best of luck to you.

Just to stress, don't be stingy on pulling wires.  Extra wires are never a problem.  Personally, I used lots of conduit, not for security wires, but to everywhere in my house I might put a compuer, tv, or whatever other LV device ever in the future.

And check out the UD forum.  The help there is great for Insteon/ISY stuff.
Thank you!

I have been frequenting UD forum (UDI tech support/Michel Kohanim is excellent in helping) and smarthome forum as well. I had emailed Elk 4-5 days ago, yet to hear back from them (asked for an Elk installer when I was starting out).

I was thinking of conduits too....the only ones I have is from above the fireplace where the TV will be to where the A/V equipment next to it would be for direct connections (minimal as I will have a central location where most of the A/V stuff will be which will be connected by CAT6 cables (four CAT6 to each TV location)). My media room will be very close to the A/V equipment closet and will be directly connected to all the AV stuff in the adjacent room (the same room will have the ISY and Elk). I am thinking of putting s PVC pipe from where the projector will be to this A/V equipment closet (was just thinking of talking to me contractor about this).

Conduit to each TV location will be too much in my case I think (It's a large home, two stories with a very open walk out basement with TV locations hundreds of feet away from the A/V closet). The 4 CAT6 cables have to suffice.

The electrician the building contractor works with is darn slow in responding. I am still not sure whether he could run the sensor wires I'll need for Elk. According to the contractor apparently he doesn't do security wiring. He is doing my CAT6, so it doesn't make sense why he couldn't.

If he couldn't run the wires for me, I am planning to call some local security companies from yellow pages (Yeah! I have these ancient devices in my closet too)....Any other suggestions on whom I could call to get the wiring in place (I am hoping they will label each wire to it's destination and test and make sure they have continuity and not shorted...I'd rather not have to test each).

If your builder doesn't care, you should just hire some day-labor guys and direct the alarm system wire pulls yourself.  The biggest concern with the alarm wires is what type of windows you have and issues with the window warranty when you drill into the frame.  Of course never drill into the sill.  

As far as conduit.  You don't have to go the whole way with it.  Just to an accessible attic/basement/crawl space location.

Be sure to use firecaulk or maybe your builder will take care of that for you whenever you go through a fire barrier.

Take lots and lots of pictures before the sheetrock goes up.  Every single wall, ceiling, etc.  when you think you have taken enough, take a bunch more.

DANG! Quote function is not working....I am referring to post #20

what is PLM?

I am using the 20% off sale at smarthome to get all my stuff. The house should be ready in about 4 weeks. I was going through all the replies to refresh my mind. I am stuck on this. I am planning to get an UPS. Any recommendations?

What is a PLM for the isy994i? is it the power chord?

The 2413S Serial Port PLM {Power Line Modem} if used with an ISY994i. Stores the Link Database for the modules it controls. Provides a receiving and sending function for both Insteon power line and RF communications.  Along with X10 communications for power line only.

It can be used for other controllers as it is an Insteon interface or software like the now free Smarthome HouseLinc.

Back