Why won't M1XEP work with a mac?

Madcodger

I know this has been covered before somewhere, but I can't find it via search, so...

When I use my macbook (all java updates, etc., current) and either Firefox or Safari, I cannot access my Elk via the M1XEP. As this is now my primary non-work laptop, this is a real problem. I make it to the security code screen, then it says the Elk is busy or unavailable. When will this be fixed?

I know this has been covered before somewhere, but I can't find it via search, so...

When I use my macbook (all java updates, etc., current) and either Firefox or Safari, I cannot access my Elk via the M1XEP. As this is now my primary non-work laptop, this is a real problem. I make it to the security code screen, then it says the Elk is busy or unavailable. When will this be fixed?
I too have this issue on a Mac w/ Firefox. I was told somewhere that Internet Explorer is a "requirement" for use with the Ethernet module. I don't think it is going to be fixed.

It would be nice to know why...

That's strange, the point of JAVA is so you can run 1 app on multiple platforms. Is there Javascript involved?

I am not familiar with what the root cause of the XEP Java app on OS X is but I do know that Java does not magically work on every platform.

Underneath every java application is an interpreter that is unique to the platform you are running it on. I have personally experienced Java applications in the past that performed differently on 2 platforms due to differences in these interpreters.

With that said, I am working hard toward an initial Alpha of eK Dekstop. It will be a native OS X application that replicates the functionality of my eK Pro iPhone application.

Madcoder, Monk are you interested in helping me beta test it? If so, PM me.

I too have this issue on a Mac w/ Firefox. I was told somewhere that Internet Explorer is a "requirement" for use with the Ethernet module. I don't think it is going to be fixed.

I connected with Firefox on Windows just fine, so I don't think the browser is the issue. Has anyone tried running a packet sniffer to see what's going on?

I connected with Firefox on Windows just fine, so I don't think the browser is the issue. Has anyone tried running a packet sniffer to see what's going on?
Not me - easier to use my wife's laptop (PC) if I need to. :p

My Mac connects with Camino just fine to the Elk Java UI.

IMO Camino is just a version of FF with better OSX integration. The most notable MIA feature in the OSX FF version is the lack of Keychain support. If you don't store web passwords then it's obviously useles, but storing passwords in FF's password bank is a bad idea.

Both Safari 3.x and 4.x do not work for me on Mac OS X.

Does anyone have Safari for windows?

That would be a strong indication if it is something in the browser or underlying Java virtual machine.

--
Jayson

I would lean more towards this being a Java issue based on what you said. You can try IETab extension for FF if it works on Mac.

Some Java apps can be finicky about what JRE version you have installed. Sometimes the JRE has to be within a certain version range, i.e. 1.6.x but not greater than 1.6.10. You may remove your newer version(s) and try a lower version, i.e. remove 1.6.10 & 1.6.7 to 1.6.3. I hate doing that since the newer ones generally close security vulnerabilities that you are now introducing to your computer. Old versions of Java can be found here

Also, may look at the Java console to see what, if anything, it is puking on. I don't have a Mac so none of this may apply. Best of luck and my apologies for not being more help.

It doesn't work for me either on a Mac running either Firefox or Safari. Kind of annoying, but eKeypad is way better anyway. That Java GUI in the XEP looks like it's straight outta 1996. After I connected to it with windows, I looked down, and my pants turned into Zubaz, my internet connection reverted to dialup speeds, and the Macarena started playing on an old tape deck. Spooky.

ELK should provide the source code for the GUI so people can pretty it up and modify it. :p

The M1 protocol is open, anyone can write their own interface :D I actually started something in Flash, but got tired of coding :( BTW, have you tried Camino yet?

Thanks for the replies and ideas, all.

To answer some questions posed:

I find that the problem exists on both Safari and Firefox for the Mac.

have not tried Camino, but will look into it now.

I am not familiar with eK, but PM'd Jaysonc after his very kind offer. Hope to try it.

Just tried to contact the Elk on the network using my iPhone, with basically the same result. I get the login name and PW challenge, but don't even make it to the security code screen. Elks do NOT like Apple anything, it seems. Man, did MSFT buy in or something??!!

Will keep you posted...

Thanks for the replies and ideas, all.
To answer some questions posed:
I find that the problem exists on both Safari and Firefox for the Mac.

Will keep you posted...

The applet does not work on Ubuntu Jaunty either. I tried to debug it briefly by turning on the Java console for logging. No "errors" are being written to the log at all. However, my guess is that the SSL socket is failing to connect.

So, now we know:
* The applet is not working on a Max or Linux
* The applet works in Firefox, IE, Chrome, and Safari on Windows. Hence, this is a Java issue, not a browser issue.

Should this issue be logged to Elk?

Back