Will the ipad be the ultimate-home-automation-controller?

The thread question is: Will the ipad be the ultimate-home-automation-controller? and the real answer is: It already is. (and I am not an Apple fan... just realistic).

How long can it hold it's position as "King Controller" is the true unknown. Price makes a huge difference when purchasing... and Droids more Democratic app marketplace will certainly add an interesting twist. I like selection and choice! I can see a future where the "best controller" is debatable. But certainly HA users are already the winners from this new technology use.

As far as the 'ideal', does anyone watch the show Fringe? In the last/season finale episode, the agents in the alternate universe used a touchscreen I would like to have. I believe it was like a thin mylar or something that just practically rolled up and disappeared and it seemed to work holographically. Anyway, it seemed that would make a cool HA interface.
I saw that touchpad on Fringe. I was pretty impressed with a lot of the technology in the alternate universe. Hope I'm around to see that in this world.

Kevin

It may be here sooner than you think...

Terry

As far as the 'ideal', does anyone watch the show Fringe? In the last/season finale episode, the agents in the alternate universe used a touchscreen I would like to have. I believe it was like a thin mylar or something that just practically rolled up and disappeared and it seemed to work holographically. Anyway, it seemed that would make a cool HA interface.
I saw that touchpad on Fringe. I was pretty impressed with a lot of the technology in the alternate universe. Hope I'm around to see that in this world.

Kevin

It may be here sooner than you think...

Terry

Thanks, Terry. Amazing things coming!

Kevin

Just meandering....

Many years ago when the internet was text only (80's) there were a number of various online services. At the time one of my favorites was Compuserve. Around the same time there was another very popular dial up service called Plink or Peoplelink (don't recall which it was). This was before AOL (America OnLine). They became very popular because they boasted very quick access. In reality the access was what you could get at the time (maybe 300 baud). What made the access appear very fast was that the application loaded numerous icons, fonts and pictures (these were cached locally). The icons, pictures and fonts would change quickly thus providing an appearance of speedy access.

I actually used a similar methodology for access to an Oracle DB in the late 90's. It was just a change management program. I noticed that most of the time or slowness of the application was just associated with screens and icons and not the text (which was of my concern). Personally I wanted it to run faster as it became essentially useless to run in real time (even with gig links to the core server farm). I decided to cache all of the fonts, screens and icons to my desktop and laptop. Doing this made the program run much faster on my desktop/laptop. The program was rewritten utilizing a web interface around 2005; which made it quicker.

Well, I resisted for a while, but after I started using my iPhone to control my CQC system, I went out and picked one up. Below are a couple of my CQC screens for the iPad. I ccan tell you that it works EXCELLENT as a portable touchscreen controller for my home. I will be interested to see if they come out with any wall mount options for these, as I would love to swap out my 3 in-wall touchscreens with a few iPads. For the price, you can't beat them.

Please note that these screens are just a first whack at screend for my iPad, and they aren't perfect yet.

Home.jpg

Climate.jpg

sacedog, those look awesome, very simple and elegant.

great that you have living fire, too - no end to your super powers ;)

Well, I resisted for a while, but after I started using my iPhone to control my CQC system, I went out and picked one up. Below are a couple of my CQC screens for the iPad. I ccan tell you that it works EXCELLENT as a portable touchscreen controller for my home. I will be interested to see if they come out with any wall mount options for these, as I would love to swap out my 3 in-wall touchscreens with a few iPads. For the price, you can't beat them.

Please note that these screens are just a first whack at screend for my iPad, and they aren't perfect yet.

View attachment 3350

View attachment 3351

What app are you using for a controller?

I just started on my iPad controller in CommandFusion

iPad1.png

Thanks. I really prefer a nice looking, simple, easy to use interface that the whole family can figure out how to use. My daughter loves the audio screens...she can turn on her speakers and use her Pandora stations in her room...and even thumbs up/thumbs down songs.

I still have to finish converting the other screens from my in-wall touchscreens to the iPad, and I am out on a business trip next week, so it might be a couple of weeks before I get them posted, but I will as soon as I have them.

I am using the CQC Client app written specificall for CQC using the RIVA (Remote Interface Viewer App).

http://www.mountford.net/cqcclient/

The app works great, and was recently updated to include a lot of great features, including the caching of images from the server. The caching really makes the interfaces load fast.

When I get back, I'll upload some more screens, as well as a pic of them in action on the iPad.

My point is though, that I do think the iPad will become the ultimate home automation controller. If these were available for $500 when I bought my 3 touchscreens, I would have never spent the $900 per touchscreen computer. Like I said, I just need to find some sort of wall docking station for them now. :)

So, I'm a MS guy through and through... I hated people that brought Mac's into my building...

I say that - as I make a living running a 100% Microsoft network; across 3 countries; while typing on a Mac. Now I'll still walk into a room full of MS Haters/Mac Lovers - and shoot them down - a Mac will never replace PC in business... but they make home life easier - there's no question.

So - after screwing with every MS-based phone and every blackberry available - always trying the newest, best phones every 2 months (perk of my job) - I finally one day got an iPhone. I haven't looked back since.

I hate Steve Jobs - he's a prick - and the CEO of my company idolizes him - it helps him justify his actions at times... but I understand the concept. They don't release something that isn't perfect. Sure - it may be the only phone in the world that doesn't multi-task; but once it does, it'll still *never* crash.

I also bought an iPad (or 8, for work) - the more I carry it, the more I can't set it down. I only charge it every few days; it does my email, web, rdp, etc... once multitasking comes in, even better! all in all, I love it.

If you get bored, check out Crestron's iPad sites... that's the ultimate in home automation. There's a reason it's the first successful tablet on the market - whatever Apple does, they do perfect. I'll still never give up my PC or try to run an Apple server - but at home, I refuse to deny the obvious out of ignorant stubbornness. There is nothing available today that comes close to competing with the iPad.

Note: For some very strange reason I'm not allowed to move the cursor to mid-text to correct my typos. This had never happened to me. Please excuse my many typos.

We have to give thanks to Apple for stepping up the smartphone category with a lot of nice screens and marketing, and for giving a much overdue kick-off to the touchscree/cloud computing market, again using eye candy and world class marketing. People that would not have looked at these technologies are considering them now thanks to Apple's efforts. This stimullates economy in general, and many new applications like home automation.

A home automation controller can be differnt things for different people. For a shared controller, the form factor is very good. I prefer the concept of the personal device. My smartphone, or my internet tablet (itouch, n800, etc.) are with me all the time, and fit in my pocket.

My problem with all the iTunes Point of Sale devices (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch) is their current walled-garden nature. As a programmer, you dont know when/if Apple is going to approve your application or even worst, when it is going to pull the plug on you and your customers. Or when they are going to launch a new agreement that kills your system. They might say one day that your sourveillance app is used for vouyerism and you have not way to appel the decision. Apple's way is capricious and unpredictable. This had never been seen in the computing market.

Since this is a DIY forum, it should not be surprise that I prefer a device that provides me full control. That let's me create and distribute my application - even if they are not as good and the distribution channel is not as big as what the iPad provides. But, as I said above, Apple now created the categories, so the market is open and will accept competing devices. It will not be so easy for Apple to create vendor lock-in in the table market as they did in the MP3 market.

The iPad is very inmmature in some areas too. Per instance, my secondary use (in addition to web browsing) would be to read and annotate PDF text books. However, annotation for PDFs is not provided natively by the iPAD and the apps that support it are very inmature. That said, it is probably 18 months ahead of any decent competitor. So, for the next year it is iPad or nothing.

The HP Slate with WebOS is a very good potential candidate. What I really would like to see HP doing is that they launch this device and they refine and develop it as your very special product. This is similar to what Apple does, but different to what most hardware manufacturer do. HTC, Toshiba, Lenovo, Dell...all they launch a product that is just one of the bunch and once you buy it, they most of the time shift focust to another category and your product is left with little to no support. Something similar is happening to the Android devices and could be happening to the Chrome devices.

An 2nd generation of the recently announced EeePad is also a good potential candidate. Install your favorite Windows or Linux apps and you are good to go.

An HP webs tablet will be cool, but many of of the HA companies do not have developers who know webs. The dearth of apps for webs now shows me that it will be great for running web apps and browsing the web, but do we really think all the HA companies are going to hake android, iOS, WP7 and WebOS apps?

I cove my iPhone and iPad.... Though I hate OSX and love my HP DM3T :(

I am just beginning to develop my UI for my iPad but it will get a lot of use around the house.

A tablet pc would be cool but for lights and such you need instant on no booting

When this thing came out I had 5 customers call me up and ask for custom interfaces for there HAI and ELK systems. There is even a in wall mount now. Basically I am not sure if it will be the standard but for the price and for us people already have them and are fimilar carries alot of weight. The way things are done is changing it is not let me install this $$$ touchscreen, it is make what I use to interface to the world and am comfortable with interface to my home.

Back