Windows/Door/Motion/Smoke/CO etc sensors purchase

surdev

Hi All,

I am ready to make my sensors purchase for my new construction, we are moving in to the new house on 11/1/2006, if time permits I might start installing the contacts/sensor in 2 weeks.

Here I am preparing the list of contact/sensors to be purchased and decided on these,

Window contacts

Door contacts

Door Hinge side contact

From the recommendation of the forum, I went with this Motion Sensor

Smoke/Heat Sensor

So what is the difference between 2-wire and 4-wire smoke, my smoke/heat locations are pre wired with 18/4.

Heat Sensor

CO Sensor

Please let me know if you have any other recommendations.

Thanks,
Suresh.

I would personally go with a smaller window contact if surface mounting - those are BIG. As for smokes, I will defer to my last post in this thread.

Steve said:
I would personally go with a smaller window contact if surface mounting - those are BIG. As for smokes, I will defer to my last post in this thread.
Thanks Steve!

I really like the BasiX MiniSide contact from AO, but the problem is there is not a enough room to hide the connections. I prewired for the window contact in such a way that, the 22/2 will be coming from the bottom of the window in the middle.
DSC04548%20[800x600].JPG

This way if i use the Miniside, i don't have any room to hide the wire connections.

Is there a small Window contact, in which one can connect the 22/2 directly to the sensor ??? I was not able to find one ...

Thanks,
Suresh.

Do you really need to surface mount? Wouldn't that drive down WAF cuz it's visible & ugly?

I'm using (ok, only 1 actually mounted so far, but 14 more to go...) the same reed switches you're looking at for the door for the window, so it's totally hidden. Is that not an option for you?

I agree hidden is preferable if it is doable on the window. For the surface mounts, you can use the GRI 110T. They are pretty unobstrusive.

I kinda think I know the answer, but....

For the windows, why wouldn't you use pancake magnets and a recessed sensors ie, where the magnet is glued to the bottom of the movable window pane, and the sensor is recessed (drilled) down into the window frame? You can't see either the sensor or magnet when the window is closed (or open for that matter).

This is what all the spec house here in Texas come with. Yeah, the spec houses use junk windows, and drilling of the window frame voids the windows warranty.

Wouldn't it be nice if the windows could be ordered pre-drilled for recessed sensors?

IVB said:
Do you really need to surface mount? Wouldn't that drive down WAF cuz it's visible & ugly?

I'm using (ok, only 1 actually mounted so far, but 14 more to go...) the same reed switches you're looking at for the door for the window, so it's totally hidden. Is that not an option for you?
May be, but iam not sure how to install the non wire end. Can that be glued in the window frame.

Thanks,
Suresh.

Steve said:
I agree hidden is preferable if it is doable on the window. For the surface mounts, you can use the GRI 110T. They are pretty unobstrusive.
Good find, Thank you Thank you!!!

So now where do i purchase the GRI 110-T??? Looks like AO does not carry them.

I got mine at Worthington. Toymaster (Kanac) can get them for you or AO can probably order them if you ask real nice. If you google, you will find some other places like Garretts, etc.

Steve said:
I got mine at Worthington. Toymaster (Kanac) can get them for you or AO can probably order them if you ask real nice. If you google, you will find some other places like Garretts, etc.
Thanks steve.

By the pic above, will it be possible for me install EOL in the contact.

Do you have any pics of EOL installed in the Window/Door contact and EOL installed in the Motion sensor. I trying to understant how to wire EOL to the contacts.

Thanks,
Suresh.

I don't have any pics of EOL's, I did not use them. But if you use the Google search here, you will find lots of info on them.

Another question regarding EOL.

Can you put the EOL between two terminals in the Window contact. Iam planning on going with GRI 110-T. Seems like it will be double price with build in EOL resistor.

Thanks,
Suresh.

tuantu said:
You cannot put a resistor across the two terminals.
So as mentioned in the manual, we need to connect one end of the EOL to the Common and the other end to the terminal in the contact ???

Just placed my order for GRI 110-T. Now I need to finalize my other sensor.

Any recomendation for the heat sensor other than this

How about this CO sensor

Thanks,
Suresh.

Back