Windows Home Server

I'd love to find a "similar" linux solution. One where it can "spread" my backups over all the Windows PC's on my home network. At this moment in time I have access to several free ~1Ghz class machines that I don't have a need/want for - however something like this would be a good excuse to put more hardware on the network....

I'd love to find a "similar" linux solution. One where it can "spread" my backups over all the Windows PC's on my home network. At this moment in time I have access to several free ~1Ghz class machines that I don't have a need/want for - however something like this would be a good excuse to put more hardware on the network....

Have a look at OpenAFS. It will allow you to create drives/directories from other AFS "cells" on you network. A centralized backup program could then write to that AFS directory which would distribute the backup over the available macines on your net. IIRC OpenAFS does have fault-tolerant capabilities. You could also investigate setting up a software RAID or Linux LVS setup using mounted iSCSI or iATA partitions.

Terry

Back