Wireless Contact System

compuguru

Yes, this quickbridge has 8 outputs, so you can monitor 8 sensors. There are 8 relay outputs, but the outputs have a common, but I don't think that will be a problem. There is a two channel and one channel version, but the 8 channel one has the most features. (Including a low battery signal.)

As for sensors, there are many. Just get one that has the ability for an external switch. Even if it doesn't, its pretty easy to open them and solder a wire across their reed switch. Note that some have replaceable batteries, others don't, but batteries last 5+ years.

I use this system connected to my alarm. I have sensors all over my house and they always work. I even have two on outdoor gates, added a bit of silicon and they never have failed in 3 years, and its 150 degrees in the sun here.

If you will use a sensor in a car, just make sure its near a window. If the sensor is low in a car (metal box) it might not be received well.

So, back to your original questions:

- The transmitter can be connected directly to a 12v relay wired to the car’s ignition.

Battery operated, so 12V not required.

- The transmitter can be configured to send (toggle) a unique signal if the car is turned on (leaving) verses turned off (coming home).

You'll probably need a 12V relay, to convert 12V to a short/open signal the sensor needs.

- The receiver can be wired directly to a SECU-16 digital input (or a X-10 PowerFlash module) since it has a “FORM 1C” relay output.

Yes, this should work.

- The receiver’s relay would remain latched (on) until the car returned home. It would not time out and falsely indicate the car had returned when it had not. (This may be changed)

What will happen is this. Turn on the car in the garage, the receiver will receive it and turn on. Drive away and it should stay the same. Return, and shut off the car. The receiver should switch. I think it will do what you want.

I think that will be the way for me to go. If I already had Homeseer, I would probably go the RF route. This summer I plan to upgrade the HA software, so I will be looking more at HAL vs. Homseer then.

One more question: how far of a range do you think you get?

compuguru said:
I think that will be the way for me to go. If I already had Homeseer, I would probably go the RF route. This summer I plan to upgrade the HA software, so I will be looking more at HAL vs. Homseer then.

One more question: how far of a range do you think you get?
We'll I just got my "stuff" last night and the 8M transmitter works perfectly in my cars glove box at approximately 55feet away. I first tested it in the house and was getting ~70 feet no problems so I had to stick the switch in the fridge to see how the plugin acted when it was no longer detected. If the 8m device has this much range I can't wait to see what the 40M range device actually has. So far I really like this stuff. I put a 8M transmitter in my wifes purse as well as my daughters purse so I can track who's home and what to trigger based on this. I've got these same transmitters in the cars as well. I want to see how "automatically" opening the garage door works with this setup. There a new transmitter being prototyped that will accept a 12v connection directly to the car which should eliminate the battery replacement hassle in this use case. There are also key fobs coming for the guys. So this is an exciting little project.

The GE/ITI stuff sometimes gives a range of 450 ft. but its pretty variable. You can get 100 ft. without much problem in a house. I use my keyfob down the street and it works. Just make sure to reduce the metal between the transmitter and receiver.

I use the iAutomate RFID to open my garage door, and it works great. Its usually half open by the time I get to my driveway. I trigger it with two devices. One device that goes on when the RFID is detected, and a second device that only switches on or off when the RFID has been in that state for 5 minutes. It only open my door when the detected device is ON and the 5 Minute device is OFF. I use the opposite to close it.

I decided to take the plunge and get some RFID gear that was suggested earlier. Now I just have to figure out how to write a program to interface it with HAL....As for the Quik Bridge Receiver, I'll probably get one of those too. It'd be good for monitoring if a car is on or off, and also allow me to add wireless sensors elsewhere.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out! <_<

BTW: The RFID stuff looks like it comes from Hong Kong. How long did it take for you get receive it after you ordered it?

Back