Wires through door

stacyh3

Does anyone have a great technique/product for running wires through a door and into the jamb on the hinge side? I want to run a relay wire and have it be inside the door. I've thought about cutting a small recess on the hinge side for the wire to go into when the door is closed, but that doesn't seem foolproof. My other thought is a small tube (probably with a little curve in it) that jumps the gap between the door and the jamb with the wires inside. I tried to find a product out there for this - hopefully an inexpensive one - but I didn't see anything.

Other things that come to mind include old ribbon cable and the like.

Thanks,
Stacy

There are contacts that are on both the door and the frame. when the door is closed they make contact and when it is open it dosent......I have seen these in pictures so I know they are out there but dont know who makes them...

What is the relay for? that deadbolt idea you have? does it alyays need power ?

Yes. It's for the deadbolt idea. It doesn't need power all the time. The relay is just to short the switch(es) in the deadbolt, so it only needs to operate when the door is closed. I talked to my builder and he's willing to get his guys to help with whatever I come up with.

Stacy

Just a thought...and I have no idea if this will actually work, but...

How about using your hinges to make your electrical connection between door & jamb? Use 1 hinge per wire...solder the input wire to the jamb hinge, and the wire to your deadbolt to the door-side hinge...

autoidiot said:
Just a thought...and I have no idea if this will actually work, but...

How about using your hinges to make your electrical connection between door & jamb? Use 1 hinge per wire...solder the input wire to the jamb hinge, and the wire to your deadbolt to the door-side hinge...
I dont thing Id take that approach... Im not sure why yet but........

I found who has what I was thinking of but dont know what they are called... it's paul (pkoslow is his user name)from Santa Barbara Smarthomes.... here is his personal site about half way down the page is a picture

pkoslow's site

Back