Wiring multiple sesnors to +VAUX AND output 1

Pcarfan

I am new to this, and sorry for such a basic question.

I know zone inputs can be connected in series for all the sensors that will stay in the same zone and if I want more get a zone expander.

However, I am confused how to wire others.

There are 3 +VAUX inputs, but I'll have around 7 motion sensors and 9 glass break sensors. How do I connect all of these into just the three +VAUX inputs.

With output 1, which is for microphone/speaker units, I can use the M1TWI interface to connect multiple units. However, I am confused on where indoor sirens like Elk-SS36 connect to? Output 2 is for outdoor sirens and it s a supervised output. I guess indoor sirens will connect to output 1, BUT HOW?.....How do I connect multiple indoor sirens to the M1k circuit board?

I assume the microphone/speaker is to listen in and give out voice messages and that I would need an indoor siren that would create that loud pitch noise that will hopefully startle the intruder.

Thank you!

You can parallel the wires in the terminal blocks so multiple sensors can be powered off of the same terminal pairs.  BUT, considering you have that many powered peripherals, you need to take a look at the total current that would be drawn and ensure that you do not exceed the VAUX's capability.

Also, I would highly suggest you power groups of sensors with a power distribution module considering the number.  You can use an external supplied one if you are exceeding the current draw of the VAUX, or just use it as a distribution point as it has nine outputs (instead of three).

Also Output 1 is for speakers - it plays voices, etc - no sirens can be hooked up to that.  That said, there's a built-in siren driver so you probably don't need separate indoor sirens - it'll play the siren tones through the speakers in between the voice announcements that play.

If you still want sirens as well indoors, what some of us have done use another output such as output 3, which is a full Form C Relay - to power Piezo Screamers - these are extremely loud Piezo's that use hardly any power at all so they're a great bang for your buck.

And again, check your voltage requirements as BSR said; there are a few ways to handle it - group motions on one, glassbreaks on another, etc - but ultimately the three terminals are just for convenience and are no different than 1 - they're all shared as is the total load.

As Work mentioned, those piezo screamers at great at what they do. If you ever did decide to use them make sure NOT to use output 2 as you want to control when they would go off, such as only when the house is in away mode or for an exterior building like a shed.

Also, with regard to power, VAUX has it's own max rating but you also need to keep the overall system in check too. Even output 1 takes power for the amp so keep this in mind. For me, I have (3) screamers in my house but because of total system draw I have them powered directly off the dual batteries I have so they don't overload the board.

BraveSirRobbin said:

Also, I would highly suggest you power groups of sensors with a power distribution module considering the number.  You can use an external supplied one if you are exceeding the current draw of the VAUX, or just use it as a distribution point as it has nine outputs (instead of three).
Thanks!

So, this doesn't directly connect to the Mk1 circuit board does it?

So, for example, take a motion detector. The two zone wires will hook to the M1k circuit board and the +/- power leads will connect to the Elk-PD9 power distribution module which is plugged into an electrical outlet, correct?

video321 said:
As Work mentioned, those piezo screamers at great at what they do. If you ever did decide to use them make sure NOT to use output 2 as you want to control when they would go off, such as only when the house is in away mode or for an exterior building like a shed.

Also, with regard to power, VAUX has it's own max rating but you also need to keep the overall system in check too. Even output 1 takes power for the amp so keep this in mind. For me, I have (3) screamers in my house but because of total system draw I have them powered directly off the dual batteries I have so they don't overload the board.

Thanks!...I think it is better to get that Elk-PD9 for some of these units that would need power

Work2Play said:
Also Output 1 is for speakers - it plays voices, etc - no sirens can be hooked up to that.  That said, there's a built-in siren driver so you probably don't need separate indoor sirens - it'll play the siren tones through the speakers in between the voice announcements that play.

If you still want sirens as well indoors, what some of us have done use another output such as output 3, which is a full Form C Relay - to power Piezo Screamers - these are extremely loud Piezo's that use hardly any power at all so they're a great bang for your buck.

And again, check your voltage requirements as BSR said; there are a few ways to handle it - group motions on one, glassbreaks on another, etc - but ultimately the three terminals are just for convenience and are no different than 1 - they're all shared as is the total load.

Thanks for making it so clear to understand. Those piezo screamers looks very good. Looks like they can be installed outside too. I assume these will have four wires, two for the zones and two for power, correct?

So, I guess I could use an ELK-P212S or ELK-P112K for additional power. Then the one 12V DC out put from either the ELK-P212S or ELK-P112K will connect to the ELK-PD9 which will have nine DC outputs . Then my motion sensors, glass break sensors or anything else that needs 4 wires, the two of which will connect to the ELK-PD9.

Is this understanding of mine correct?....It's pretty neat actually, will feel better with all the battery backups too, if that's how it works.

Here is a suggested flow chart (which I did VERY quickly).  This will give you supervised monitoring and battery backup of your external supply (use up to 1.80 amps total out of the 2 amp max) as well as nine 250 milliamp power distribution points.

If you need more than nine power outputs, just parallel some (use the same terminals for the sensors power inputs); but, don't exceed 250 milliamps total output for an individual set of terminals.

If you have a peripheral that needs more than 250 milliamps of power (which I doubt) then just use TWO outputs connected to that one peripheral's power input (so the outputs sum together to give you 500 milliamps capability).

There are a lot of other options, but this at least gives you an overall idea of the type of system to shoot for.  I'm sure other's will give their opinions as well (which is welcomed as it's always good to get more than one point of view) ;).

View attachment pcarfan.pdf

EDIT:  There is a small error in the schematic as I show a data bus line from the data bus hubs to the XEP, which should not exist.

Nice quick little sketch BSR!  That should help a bit.

For the screamers, they're just 2-wire - negative and positive - you hook them to a relay or output.  You would either need to use Output 3 or add either an output expander or relay to get full form C relays - then you'd run power from the PD9 through the relay/out3 (just one leg, usually +), to the screamer - and you'd switch that relay on during certain alarm events - such as if alarm is tripped and house is armed away and after a 5 second delay (for your own mistakes) - then unleash the eardrum damage.

Another diagram would probably be helpful but I don't have BSR's energy at the moment.

Thank you so much for this, it's so helpful.....Just one question with the drawing. I see the P212S hooking up to the data bus M1DBH (which I will have). Does it hook up to the same side and in the same way as the keypads and wireless transceiver?

BraveSirRobbin said:
Here is a suggested flow chart (which I did VERY quickly).  This will give you supervised monitoring and battery backup of your external supply (use up to 1.80 amps total out of the 2 amp max) as well as nine 250 milliamp power distribution points.

If you need more than nine power outputs, just parallel some (use the same terminals for the sensors power inputs); but, don't exceed 250 milliamps total output for an individual set of terminals.

If you have a peripheral that needs more than 250 milliamps of power (which I doubt) then just use TWO outputs connected to that one peripheral's power input (so the outputs sum together to give you 500 milliamps capability).

There are a lot of other options, but this at least gives you an overall idea of the type of system to shoot for.  I'm sure other's will give their opinions as well (which is welcomed as it's always good to get more than one point of view) ;).

attachicon.gif
pcarfan.pdf

EDIT:  There is a small error in the schematic as I show a data bus line from the data bus hubs to the XEP, which should not exist.

Work2Play said:
Nice quick little sketch BSR!  That should help a bit.

For the screamers, they're just 2-wire - negative and positive - you hook them to a relay or output.  You would either need to use Output 3 or add either an output expander or relay to get full form C relays - then you'd run power from the PD9 through the relay/out3 (just one leg, usually +), to the screamer - and you'd switch that relay on during certain alarm events - such as if alarm is tripped and house is armed away and after a 5 second delay (for your own mistakes) - then unleash the eardrum damage.

Another diagram would probably be helpful but I don't have BSR's energy at the moment.

Being completely new to this, I really don't even know what a relay is and what a full form C relay is. I will study what you are saying here, and once I understand it, may have questions.

Thank you for your help.

Back