Would like a poll on what lighting controll method to start with.

What are the thoughts on the need for status changes, the manual change of a switch notifying the Elk of the change?

I'd been reviewing the technologies again and notice that Z-wave for instance doesn't support status changes, other than a confirmation for a sent command.

HighTest,
The Vizia interface to the M1 gives two way status. It is pending a PC software setup program.

The CBUS lighting technology is hardwired to the switches and works very well. Our manufacturing partner in Australia, Ness Security, has developed an interface to CBUS for the M1. ELK plans to sell the CBUS interface for the M1 in the US soon.

Spanky,

Thanks for the feedback. I have to say that your participation on this forum with such great information weighed significantly on my decision to purchase an Elk M1G. I really appreciate your assistance!

I had Insteon for a while, it worked well with other Insteon devices, but I was never able to get it to reliably work from the PC or Elk via the USB and Serial Powerlinc.

I'm using Vizia RF now and highly recommend it. It's quite a bit faster reacting than Insteon was. The two way communication/notification is great. I have not used the serial module yet, but I looked at the documentation and it's a fairly simple ASCII protocol.

HighTest,
The Vizia interface to the M1 gives two way status. It is pending a PC software setup program.

Any chance this is a firmware update to the M1XZW module, or is this a firmware upgrade to an M1XSP with an associated serial Z-Wave controller?

I'm more than willing to pick up either and then wait for the update. If it were the M1XZW, I could start trying Z-wave without the two way status for the moment.

Thanks again!

Per Spanky, it will be via firmware upgrade to the serial controller (and a software package for programming) hooked through the RZC0P serial interface from leviton...

HighTest,

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your suggestions and advice. After doing extensive research, I think I'll go Z-Wave when the Elk Vizia RF product is shipped.

1. The Vizia RF solution removes one of the biggest detractions from the Z-wave protocol, the ability for the different controllers to keep track of status. Apparently this is resolved with the Vizia RF RS232 controller.

2. I've measured the distances between where I'll be mounting switches and other Z-wave devices and find that this should provide great RF coverage.

3. The Powerline is independant of the RF signal, so the issues that cause problems for Insteon or UPB will be avoided.

4. Quality of the Leviton devices appears to rival that of several UPB manufacturers and should be significantly better than previous Insteon releases.

5. The lawsuit that concerned me about the Leviton Vizia RF is settled so I'm not worried about the devices being put on some kind of freeze on sale.

I'll be sure to take photo's and use that to help others with their Z-Wave implementation if they choose the same method.

1. The Vizia RF solution removes one of the biggest detractions from the Z-wave protocol, the ability for the different controllers to keep track of status. Apparently this is resolved with the Vizia RF RS232 controller.

One clarification, you do not need this to get two-way feedback among the vizia controllers. I might be misinterpretting, but you said "controllers" in plural, but it only applies to the Elk. Vizia devices are two-way with each other out of the box and I wouldn't wait on Elk. Johnny9, myself, and others trust Spanky that it is coming sooner than later and the system is useful even without automation (especially with the scene controllers). Your WAF should be immediate even before you tie it to the elk.

I've purchased my first set of 1000W Vizia RF dimmers and some remote switches for some three way installs. This will be go slow and make sure it's solid type project.

I'll be sure to photo and document my journey for others benefit (and my personal edification) in the Showroom forum. :wacko:

I too voted for Cbus lighting.

Although I have not yet implemented, the quality of the product is excellent. It is expensive, but I figure that lighting is one system that needs to be dependable. I am planning on interfacing it with the ELK via CQC or homeseer in the future.

Back