WoW Ultra TV?

No, I cut the cord a long time ago, but if I can throw you off topic...do you have internet with them? im thinking of switching but they are basically the same price as time warner ($95 for 50/5) did you wheel and deal with them at all? i would switch if they give me a static IP

Actually I am with Comcast for internet and basic digitle cable (no HD except with locals through HDHR). The bill is getting ridiculous so I am looking for alternatives. I like the idea of the media server with six tuners for the DVR and media players at the TV sets but I am not crazy about the built in cable modem and cheezy router it has. I would prefer to keep my Tomato router but that can't be done with Ultra TV. If their HD DVR had at least four tuners I would be happy with that but it only has two. I have time for now until Comcast decides if they are going to encypt the local channels now that the FCC has ruled on that.

John,

What is cheezy about the router? If you don't like it, why not just go outboard with your existing router?

Mitch

Well I have been emailing their tech support. It seems you can't use your existing router with their setup. The cable modem and router are built in. People have been complaining about port forwarding not working well. Also DDNS seems to be difficult. WIFI only supports WEP. No QOS options. Also throughput speed seems to be subpar. Overall the DVR setup seems attractive and may work with the average joeblow but it would have been nice to keep the cable modem and router external.

I have yet to find another DVR that can record six shows at once. My SageTV server is showing its age and if Comcast decides to encrypt the local channels I will look the HDHR's I have. So just planning for the future. Was hoping to find someone techy that actually uses the Ultra TV to get a real world answer to these questions.

Wow (seriously, no pun intended) - I just did a google search about them - and... wow. I'd avoid them like the plague. They seem very jenky to put it mildly, and best suited for only those very un-technical people who know nothing about what to expect. I have to think they'll get swallowed up before long by a real provider. At least from what I read in forums about them and that they participated in.

I really think they'll drive you out of your mind if you try to deal with them.

I agree... it is a shame as it seems to be the only DVR that has six tuners... Most tuners I have seen is 2 in most cable companie's DVR's. My SageTV has 4 HD tuners and 2 SD tuners. There are nights that all 4 HD tuners are used. These networks seem to fill Monday and Tuesday with a lot of shows we like. Can't hardly find anything to watch on the weekend...hahaha so a DVR comes in mighty handy.

SageTV is definitely the bomb. It's too bad that it is likely going to go the way of the do-do bird at the hands of Google. There isn't anything out there that can come close to the flexibility that you have with SageTV. Disk space, number of tuners, etc are only limited by your wallet and with the hardware based extenders, playback is easy and flawless.

Well I have been emailing their tech support. It seems you can't use your existing router with their setup. The cable modem and router are built in. People have been complaining about port forwarding not working well. Also DDNS seems to be difficult. WIFI only supports WEP. No QOS options. Also throughput speed seems to be subpar. Overall the DVR setup seems attractive and may work with the average joeblow but it would have been nice to keep the cable modem and router external.
I dont know what level service you were talking to, but when timewarner put in my docsis 3 modem it had built a built in router that they insisted couldnt be bypassed till i made it up to the third tier of support, then the guy knew in about 4 seconds what i wanted done and did it remotely in about 3 seconds and after about 2hrs on the phone getting to the right person it took less than a minute to get it done. so maybe try herassing them somemore

Back