XM and whole house audio

mustangcoupe

I guess I am directing this to IVB but if anyone else has any ideas please post also.

I saw your skins at this post here and saw you have an XM feed. How do you get this into your system? Is it via a tuner or their web site? If their site how do you connect to the feed, switch stations ect...

Listening to it as we speak...

I have a Polk XRt12 XM tuner hooked up via serial to CQC, which both drives the Polk as well as paints the screen. I change the station via the feed.

Here's the latest XM skin, all the rest of them are here.

Attachments

• VladStudio_XM.jpg
    VladStudio_XM.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 30
MainLobby supports the XMDirect, the XMPCR, the Polk, shortly the Yamaha XM and the Russound and now XM via DirecTV. Viewable and controllable via touchscreen or PocketPC.

Attachments

• 800.600.xmlobby06.jpg
    800.600.xmlobby06.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 28
DavidL: Just wondering - On that screen, you are listing all the various songs on each channel, even though you're only playing one of them. Is that available via any of the tuner hardware(i.e., Polk), or just the XMPCR?

Both nice screens. I noticed neither shows the time into the current song, is this type of information available in either setup? Just curious if that is an option.

all of the tuners support that. The Polk has the worst serial interface BTW.
I don't think the elapsed time is supported via XM, though I am not positive.

Actually David I am pretty sure the data for all channels and songs is not coming from the receivers, you are grabbing this from xmro servers and its being placed into the .mdb where xmlobby grabs the data when it needs it.

There are no commands I am aware of for the Polk, XMPCR or the ST2-XM from the protocol documents that allow you to poll individual channel data, you only get one multi broadcast message and it contains artist, song,genre, album, channel and channel name for the current channel it is locked onto, you cannot poll the device for all songs/artists on all channels on any of the above mentioned units.

While I do like the Xmlobby method of having the data for all channels and longer track names when it access's XMRO servers you always have to be aware at any moment this method could break and become useless if XM Radio chooses to stop people from parsing their webpages, the coverart feature is also nice but can also be broke at anytime by the source you grab coverart from..unless of course your paying royalties to Amazon I believe?

**BTW there is no elapsed time feature for any of the XM receivers that I am aware of.

DavidL said:
MainLobby supports the XMDirect, the XMPCR, the Polk, shortly the Yamaha XM and the Russound and now XM via DirecTV. Viewable and controllable via touchscreen or PocketPC.

But does anyone support ot know how to support the live web feed of the xm radio? I tried just coppying one of the links to the channels once I was logged in and then pasted that into winamp and I got an error about that feed not currently aviable.

Yes, Ripper, you are correct. I was answering that IVB was asking if the same capability was support for all of the XM receivers from MainLobby / XMLobby. Not from the particular receiver directly. But I can see were that might not exactly been what IVB was asking.

But does anyone support ot know how to support the live web feed of the xm radio? I tried just coppying one of the links to the channels once I was logged in and then pasted that into winamp and I got an error about that feed not currently aviable.
Plenty of programs out there can do this. Quality isn’t the best but they work. MCE2005 has this capability built in as well. I prefer using the XMDirect with XMLobby.

Check out this site for a list of apps: http://www.xmfan.com/viewforum.php?f=31

Thanks to all for the clarifications. Sorry, still not clueing in to something - if you can reverse-engineer/directly interact with the site to get the current songs by channel, why is hardware required? Why not just tune the channel directly and send out the PC output, hence only requiring the XMOnline subscription?

Because you have to log in and interact with their site to get the channels ect...

I have XM in my car so I get free access for online/computer use.
But to use the online page for Home audio access I dont think it would work with their current security log in porocess....

mustangcoupe said:
Because you have to log in and interact with their site to get the channels ect...

I have XM in my car so I get free access for online/computer use.
But to use the online page for Home audio access I dont think it would work with their current security log in porocess....
Didn't David just say they're doing that anyway to get the list of songs that are currently on in each channel? I looked around on xmradio.com - i couldn't find a place to see that list without logging in.

looks like accessX10's answer is the one I was looking for some type of windows client that can get the feed...

Thanks everyone

sorry, i'm still lost. I've looked all through that forum accessX10 linked to, and I can't figure out how to get at the list of songs playing on each channel without logging in.

Anyone?

Back