Your thoughts: Elk M1 or HAI Omni Pro II

I think Martin would probably recommend RCS stats for the Elk. They probably work equally as well and are a bit less expensive. My feeling is that its personal and if you really like the Aprilaire and are ok with the protocol adapter, then that will also work.

UPB and Elk do play nicely together. To be 100% honest, its not perfect, but it is certainly better implemented than either Insteon or ZWave at this point. I have used SAI UPB devices and the Elk for over a year and have been very pleased with it.

Depending on what your looking for, a HAI Panel, and HAI UPB switches works well. Although a HAI panel works with any type of UPB switches, HAI added some neat features, that if you have a larger house (4000 sq. ft. +) work well. You can configure the switches with just the panel. Now, having said that, with a full-blown controller, you can accomplish the same thing, but until you get one, or maybe if you never have one, this gives you lots of UPB function with not much work.

In the end, as others are saying, ELK or HAI choice really depends what you are looking for, and how you want to do it. I'd look at the web pages, read the manuals, and go from there.

I just found out that CQC does not support UPB as of yet. Bummer. But they say it will.
I will check out those other tstats.

I am definetly leaning towards Elk right now.

Derek

I just found out that CQC does not support UPB as of yet. Bummer. But they say it will.
But you don't need it to if you're using either the Elk or HAI. You would control the lighting thru the panel (at least thats my preference) and CQC has drivers for both Elk and HAI. So you're really set either way.

Just a couple of quick observations. You may want to get this to try UPB instead of that other starter kit. You'll save a little money. Also, that starter kit includes HAI switches so you really need to decided first if you want to use SAI or HAI. On the irrigation, if you have or can run a cable from the sprinkler zones to the M1, I would direct connect it with a relay board. Kind of like PLC vs Hardwire for lighting. Same thing for the stats, I would use the regular stats if possible. With RCS you should be able to put the controller by the equipment and just use existing wires to the wall display. Will be cheaper too. While I love UPB and it is very reliable, there is still no substitute for hardwire where possible.

In my pics you can see I used plates and standoffs. It all depends on how you want to dress it up.

Yup, those are the stats. Those or the better looking TR40's. You may want to ask Jim or Martin for their opinion too.

I've also been leaning towards making ELK M1 my choice for controller.

But I can't help but wonder about the initial price difference that people talk about (compared to the HAI OMNI). If you spec'd out an M1 with additional modules to equal the extra functionality of a 'stock' HAI, is the difference really that much? For example I read that the omni II has the ethernet port built it. Apparently, I have to buy a module to give the M1 an ethernet port. It's at least a couple hundred $s there already. Am I reading this right?

Also, I'll be taking the 'pains' to do the cabling for hardwire switches knowing fully well that I initially will use UPB. To me the jump from say UPB to the most reasonably priced hardwire system is 10s of thousands right there. Is the jump in price really as big as I am thinking?

Wondering.

openboxtt said:
I've also been leaning towards making ELK M1 my choice for controller.

But I can't help but wonder about the initial price difference that people talk about (compared to the HAI OMNI). If you spec'd out an M1 with additional modules to equal the extra functionality of a 'stock' HAI, is the difference really that much? For example I read that the omni II has the ethernet port built it. Apparently, I have to buy a module to give the M1 an ethernet port. It's at least a couple hundred $s there already. Am I reading this right?

Also, I'll be taking the 'pains' to do the cabling for hardwire switches knowing fully well that I initially will use UPB. To me the jump from say UPB to the most reasonably priced hardwire system is 10s of thousands right there. Is the jump in price really as big as I am thinking?

Wondering.
On the point of HAI vs Elk price difference - the only way to know for sure is to pick a place and get your best price. Automated Outlet sells and supports both so why don't you give them a buzz and price out comparable systems. But beyond the initial costs, don't forget maintenance and upgrade costs. The Elk is field flashable and upgrades are free. The Omni you need to replace a ROM chip and my understanding the upgrades are $25-$50 (please check those prices to be sure). The Omni is great, nothing wrong with it but you asked about price, so consider the whole picture.

On the lighting, you can certainly pay in the tens of thousands if you want to but you can probably come in much less than that with something like EDT's iLine. Others here have researched that and can probably give you more facts. But your approach is sound - if you can not afford a 'traditional' home run hardwire system (which is more expensive), then wiring cat5 to the switches is good future proofing if you change your mind. But the EDT system requires daisy chaining so I think the 'recommended' approach is to homerun 2 cat5's from the switch which will let you decide between a homerun or daisy chain system down the road and still have it centrally managed.

If you spec'd out an M1 with additional modules to equal the extra functionality of a 'stock' HAI, is the difference really that much?

You bring up a good point. It depends on your configuration and what you need. If you compare the base package systems, the HAI is much much expensive but includes some things not included in the Elk system. It includes a thermostat (RC80 only), outside temperature sensor, ethernet interface, & UPB interface.

The HAI is still more expensive but not as much as a first glance could make you think.

I think that decision really should be made based on what you want to do with the panel, not the price.

I made a similar comparison before I ended up buying an M1 because I felt I could get better support as a DIYer.

Back