Zigbee vs Z-wave

jokah

Hey all

I do not wish to have a war going or anything silly.

I have been trying to read up on zigbee and z-wave, but most the google listings are from outdated articles of 05-07

can anyone give me some honest feedback as to what is currently being more used by manufacturers? Ie, i have seen things like Zwave deadbolts, is that a sign of the growing support for z-wave over zigbee?

I understand there is more room for technology in zigbee, but I also recognize that the better idea may not necessarily win if companies dont get behind it.

So, whats current?

Check the portal, search for both Z-wave and ZigBee (use the tags to find the articles), I think you will find that there is a lot of activity in both worlds. For home automation RIGHT NOW, I think Z-Wave would make a better choice if you avoid the low-end 'crap'.

I'm focusing on things other than switches right now (security, temp sensors, etc), because I haven't found much Zigbee stuff on the market. Plus, interfacing it with my ELK would likely require a lot of work at this point.

I want Zigbee because it's an IEEE standard and has more potential for integration and interoperability. Unfortunately, there's just not much out there for it now, at least that I can find.

When Zigbee was first announced, I remember reading stuff about how the transceivers would be under $5 each. Well, there're more like $20+ each right now. I assume that's part of the reason manufacturers aren't using them.

Thank.

I have been wondering that myself

it also semed that into would benputting it's weight behind zwav

So at least in thr immediate future there's more support of zwave

Appreciate it guys

Check the portal, search for both Z-wave and ZigBee (use the tags to find the articles), I think you will find that there is a lot of activity in both worlds. For home automation RIGHT NOW, I think Z-Wave would make a better choice if you avoid the low-end 'crap'.
Are you talking about Intermatic HomeSettings-line of products such as lamp modules (HA03C) and screw-in light modules (HA05C)? What about ACT HomePro ZDP100 3.2 lamp module with configurable ramp rate that I can get either at SmartHome-Products.com or ASIHome?

Oh, as to Z-Wave/ZigBee, I'd definitely go with Z-Wave for home automation. :) If you're interested, check out www.zwaveworld.com including the forum (I'm a member there with my same username)!

Yes. How can you tell if it's crap or not.

Are there revisions to watch for or do you guys recommend a specific manufacturer?

Hey all

I do not wish to have a war going or anything silly.

I have been trying to read up on zigbee and z-wave, but most the google listings are from outdated articles of 05-07

can anyone give me some honest feedback as to what is currently being more used by manufacturers? Ie, i have seen things like Zwave deadbolts, is that a sign of the growing support for z-wave over zigbee?

I understand there is more room for technology in zigbee, but I also recognize that the better idea may not necessarily win if companies dont get behind it.

So, whats current?

Z-wave is a proprietary standard and there are many home automation devices supporting it. Buy any Z-wave device and it works with any other Z-wave device.

Zigbee is nothing like that. Zigbee is an open standard built with many layers. At its lowest level, there is the 802.15.4 standard which specifies the physical layer on how devices communicate with each other. The cool part about 802.15.4 is its used for a newly approved standard RF4CE which in a few years will very likely replace IR remotes. (Those were such a plan anyway.)

Much home automation has been focusing on 802.15.4 because chips are cheap, but then again, these are proprietary solutions. Zigbee is 802.15.4 AND other layers that specify mesh networking, and there are "profiles" for functions on top of that. There is a profile for home automation, but the problem is now with the smarts to do all this, you have chips that cost quite a bit more, and not cheap enough for low-cost home automation yet.

Its going to take a few more years before you see a bunch of Zigbee products for the home that will all work with each other, but I think someday, Zigbee will succeed because volumes will be so high and costs low. Zigbee is currently used for industrial automation, remote meter reading by utilities, and some medical applications.

So today, its not an either-or. Its Z-wave or nothing, because Zigbee is very early in the home automation area, but in a few years, things might be different.

Just to add to what ano has said... It is always quicker and easier for a single company to create a protocol and get it to market quicker than trying to create a protocol by committee, but, ultimately, the Zigbee standard should pave the way to many more manufacturers, many more devices and a cross over into other areas of technology. Getting there is the painful part but hopefully it will be worth the wait. My money is on Zigbee.

Always remember, *everything* sucks. Some of it just sucks less.

icon_pray.gif

Wisest. Post. Ever.

Z-wave has more products currently in the market, but I have a feeling Zigbee will overtake Z-wave in the near future. I based this assumption on that Zigbee is a huge player in the smart energy world, which will generate millions of units (thus lowering cost and create robust stacks).

One problem with Zigbee right now is that there is no official Home Automation(HA) standard. There is a specification for Home Automation, but there is no official standard test (yet). Currently there is a Home automation certification in beta, and I suspect in a few months it will become official. Once this test becomes official, products will get this certification and compatibility will be much improved. My opinion is that is when several other companies will jump on the wagon and join the fun.

If you are looking for a solution right now, Zwave is the only real option. If you are planning for the future, re-evaluate the situation when it becomes time to make a decision.

Please note that these are my personal opinions, although they are based on information I gathered from being in the Zigbee market.

Ryan

"ZigBee is an open standard..." Does this mean I can write open source cross-platform software that works with Windows, Mac, and Linux?

I mean, I saw something like this and I don't know how long I should hold off on buying Z-Wave home lighting products until home lighting products made for ZigBee comes out.

"ZigBee is an open standard..." Does this mean I can write open source cross-platform software that works with Windows, Mac, and Linux?

I mean, I saw something like this and I don't know how long I should hold off on buying Z-Wave home lighting products until home lighting products made for ZigBee comes out.

Zigbee is indeed an open standard and the specifics can be found on www.Zigbee.org. I am unaware of an existing open stack designed for PC's (I could be wrong, I have never had the need to use one). Many silicon manufacturers (TI,Microchip,Ember,ST,Freescale to name a few) have developed a Zigbee stack to run on their specific processors. These stackso they developed is usually only partially open to protect their work and to ensure you use it on their processor. I do not know any reason why you cannot design your own stack according to the specs, but it will not be a task that will take a while.

Thanks,
Ryan

Back