Email notifier board

Just to be clear... the onboard NTP will update the OPII's time....right??
Just gotta verify that. 

Mine should arrive tomorrow, excited to get this installed so I won't have to dedicate a PC running Snap-Link anymore

Wouldn't it be a lot more useful if they released a notifier board like this that can talk directly to the monitoring stations over IP (I believe ELK can do this).  This seems like a pretty basic update.

Got mine today. Nothing but trouble. The box was opened and taped shut. The tamper strip on the static bag inside the box was opened. Had a bad feeling from then and it proved to be right so far. Looking for some troubleshooting ideas now but not finding much.
I can't update the firmware or send test messages, not sure if it updates over serial or ethernet?? I know the ethernet is obviously not working but not sure if the serial is or isn't.
Anyone know how I can test the serial communication on this thing?

What are the two buttons on the circuit board for?

How about being able to select an NTP server??

I got mine today also.  It also looked as though it had been previously opened and installed.  I noticed the power connector on the board and called Worthington about it and they said it was 12vdc, so I connected a wall wart to it and the board gave off a little bit of smoke from one of the components near the rs-232 connector.  I called Worthington back and talked to someone else and they said that connector was for factory use only and it gets its power from the serial port.  It would have been nice if the instruction sheet was more detailed and addressed the two buttons on the board too!  They also told me that they were going to test them all on Monday before shipping any more because of a problem with the serial cable, but they didn't elaborate what the issue is.

After that, I plugged it into the serial port as advised, connected a network cable and the board powered up with a flashing green led and the ethernet port showed connectivity.  I then successfully updated the firmware and followed the instructions on configuring the notifier in pcAccess, but the board doesn't seem to send an email.  I tried syncing the time manually from the notifier settings, but no luck on updating the time.

I guess I'll wait with the rest of you to find out what to do next.

The NTP setting is in PCAccess in the config area for the board.
Download the update and flash the firmware and the notifier board section shows up, even without a board installed.

I haven't received mine yet.

they said it was 12vdc, so I connected a wall wart to it and the board gave off a little bit of smoke from one of the components near the rs-232 connector.
 I am surprised that it worked after this.

Desert_AIP said:
The NTP setting is in PCAccess in the config area for the board.
Download the update and flash the firmware and the notifier board section shows up, even without a board installed.

I haven't received mine yet.
No it's not. The only option is on or off.
I meant having an option to use any server of our choice. I have an NTP server on my LAN that all of my devices sync with. I should be able to input a server address of my choice.

As an update... I can ping the email board. I'm using serial 5 which was previously used for my Somfy controller so I know it works. It is now set to email board.
Hopefully Aaron can chime in on this.

Guys,

The install *should* be pretty straight forward.

1.) Install board, Plug board into ethernet
2.) Connect included cable from the Notifier to the OP2 Serial Port. (Dont' use Serial Port #1)
3.) Using PCAccess 3, change serial port the "Email Board"
4.) Write Setup to Omni
5.) You should see Nodes for the Email Board appear in the treeview. Click on "E-Mail To Addresses" and add an address
6.) Click on email messages and add a custom message (for testing)
7.) Click on "Email Notification Board". Enter your SMTP Settings. (Google works well for testing).
8.) Click "Send Test Email". It will want to write to the omni and the email board.
9.) Watch the Email board LED. It will blink FAST when it is attempting to send an email

I'll try to help troubleshoot... but I'll need some information

1.) What controller Model and Firmware version are you using?
2.) What version of PCAccess 3?
3.) What serial port are you connected to?
4.) Did you change the serial port to email board and then dowload setup to the controller?
5.) The board is powered ONLY from the Omni Serial Port. The barrel connector is 5V, and is not intended to be used.
6.) Buttons are for internal / future use.
7.) With the board installed and powered, do you see the LED near the Buttons Blinking?
8.) There have been some reports of bad cables. We are investigating. If you check everything else, the LED is blinking and you see the LED's on the controller serial port blinking when you try to send a test message, You should check the cable.

Edit: All boards were tested and updated with the latest firmware before they shipped. No need to update the firmware.
The 5V connector is not intended to be used with an Omni. It's intended to be used incase you are connecting to a different panel or maybe for some standalone applications

aard3 said:
Guys,

The install *should* be pretty straight forward.

1.) Install board, Plug board into ethernet
2.) Connect included cable from the Notifier to the OP2 Serial Port. (Dont' use Serial Port #1)
3.) Using PCAccess 3, change serial port the "Email Board"
4.) Write Setup to Omni
5.) You should see Nodes for the Email Board appear in the treeview. Click on "E-Mail To Addresses" and add an address
6.) Click on email messages and add a custom message (for testing)
7.) Click on "Email Notification Board". Enter your SMTP Settings. (Google works well for testing).
8.) Click "Send Test Email". It will want to write to the omni and the email board.
9.) Watch the Email board LED. It will blink FAST when it is attempting to send an email

I'll try to help troubleshoot... but I'll need some information

1.) What controller Model and Firmware version are you using?
2.) What version of PCAccess 3?
3.) What serial port are you connected to?
4.) Did you change the serial port to email board and then dowload setup to the controller?
5.) The board is powered ONLY from the Omni Serial Port. The barrel connector is 5V, and is not intended to be used.
6.) Buttons are for internal / future use.
7.) With the board installed and powered, do you see the LED near the Buttons Blinking?
8.) There have been some reports of bad cables. We are investigating. If you check everything else, the LED is blinking and you see the LED's on the controller serial port blinking when you try to send a test message, You should check the cable.

Edit: All boards were tested and updated with the latest firmware before they shipped. No need to update the firmware.
The 5V connector is not intended to be used with an Omni. It's intended to be used incase you are connecting to a different panel or maybe for some standalone applications
1 and 2 are the latest available.
3 is serial 5
4 - yes.
5 and 6 - N/a to me.
7 - I have the power led lit and the ethernet link and activity lit.
8 - Cable 'looks' good. It's a standard rollover cable (pin 1 to pin 6 of other end) should it be??

Update... The omni serial port led is constantly lit when connected to email board.
What is the pinout of the email board serial port?

Just got this in my in box:

"Thank you for your purchase of the new Omni Notifier from Leviton. Im certain that you are just as excited about this new product as I am. Late this afternoon we learned about a potential issue with the silver serial cable that connects the Notifier to the Omni. If you were shipped a Notifier this week, please do not connect it until you have read this message. Leviton has found some of the cables to have a short in the RJ connector. While it is unlikely, the worst case scenario is that using the cable could cause permanent harm to the Omni controller.

There are a few options to get your Notifier up and running. If you have a Cat 5 cable tester, test the cable. It is a 6-pin reverse cable, so each end is a mirror of the other. On most Cat 5 testers this would read 234567 on one end and 765432 on the other. Although your tester may consider this a fault (since it is designed for an 8-pin straight-through cable) it is actually correct. Shorts and crossed pins are the main concern. As long as you do not see shorts or crosses, your cable is safe to use. If you have the longer PIM or ZIM cable, you can use it. They are the same pinout in a longer configuration. Alternatively, please feel free to request a new cable and one will be sent to you."

Frunple,

What happens when you try to "Send Test Email"?
Do you see LED's Blink on the OP2?
Does the LED Blink Faster on the Email Board?
What does PCAccess 3 Say when trying to send the test email?

The only real way to test the cable is with a multimeter or cable tester. If you have a UPB PIM or Zigbee ZIM you can "borrow" that cable for testing.

Back