Email notifier board

Just put the cable on a tester. Bad. Remaking it now. I take it it should be a rollover, correct?

Done.
Sent test good.
Updating firmware now.
Bad cable.

Cable is a rollover.

Any chance of adding a user select-able NTP option?

Great! Glad it's working. I had to go pull the cable off mine to verify.

Really no need to update, all units that shipped have 1.1.

Apologies for the cable issue. I'll see what we can do about the user defined NTP server. Most users don't want to be bothered, very, very few will have their own NTP servers.

That's the version of the file you are downloading. Looks like like we didn't increment the version number in the file header.... I'll add that to the list with NTP!

aard3 said:
Apologies for the cable issue. I'll see what we can do about the user defined NTP server. Most users don't want to be bothered, very, very few will have their own NTP servers.

I also would like the ability to specify the NTP server address. You could default the NTP server to the current hard coded value, which would make setup easy for those not wanting to change it. With all the devices I have used that had NTP support I've always had the option to change the server address.

In looking through the settings I don't see an option to specify the board IP address settings. Is the only option DHCP?

Here I went internal relating to NTP a few years back probably because I had also done the same for an enterprise network around same time.  This exploit or means of exploit is sort simple as almost everybody using the internet today syncs up to internet based NTP servers.  Its been fixed today.

I will continue to utilize my internal NTP time sync stuff anyways. 

Today just asked the PFSense folks about disabling external NTP time server stuff anyways as historically always blocked ntp on my firewall.

The above said did read some interesting news about NTP in general at the end of 2013.

http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2013-5211&cid=1

http://thehackernews.com/2014/01/Network-Time-Protocol-Reflection-DDoS-Attack-Tool.html

NTP news.jpg

Aaron, Another suggestion if I can, Expand on the built-in notifications. I can already see how annoying the Access Control notifications are going to be. Previously to this board, I had notifications sent to me for any door that was unlocked. That's all I need to know. The built-ins notify on unlock and lock. Adding a sub-section(s) to the check boxes would give us the option of what will send a notification. I know this can be done "programattically" but then what would the point of the built-ins be, right??  ^_^

Oh, while I have someone from HAI listening, how about getting rid of the "fade in" of the PC Access splash screen?? Yeah, it's cute and all but I usually am "remote desktopped" in to the pc running it and it's more of an annoyance than anything. Again, maybe give us the option of it for those who still want the cuteness factor.

Also, I don't have a board so don't know if this is in there but hopefully there is a way to put a limit on the number of messages sent per day.  I've had bed sensors and sometimes software loops where hundreds or thousands of emails can be sent due to a problem. After the limit is hit if you put one in, it should stop for the day. (Adding a e-mail limit counter wouldn't be very easy to add in HAI programming.)

I've got mine setup now and working after changing from serial port 2 to 4.  I don't know why changing serial ports made a difference, but that's all it took.  BTW, the button on the left side of the board (with the connectors facing up) appears to reset the board.

I'll pass the suggestions along guys. I personally ended up using the build in support for alarms and troubles, then just wrote specific programs for other things.

Guys - are you finding this module to be reliable?

I ask because I've been testing and I can get it to work and successfully send a message maybe one in ten times.  I know it's setup properly because I *have* gotten it to work; I just can't get it to work consistently.  For this to be useful, it has to work ALL. THE. TIME. not just every once in a while...

I'm using Gmail SMTP, for what it's worth.  Outlook is setup using the same settings, as are my network switches and router admin consoles and other services that send e-mail notifications, and each and every one of these works consistently - I say this to dispel in advance any notion that my ISP is throttling repeat testing traffic on the SMTP port, because I'm testing send/receive on these other programs as a baseline and they are working without a hitch.  It's just the HAI board that is iffy.

Anyone else have similar experience or ideas to sort this?  Thanks!

Also, as a requested/suggested enhancement request:  

it would be useful to have the subject line read the text from the canned message(s) created within PCAccess, instead of just generically reading, "Message" for the subject line and requiring the mail be opened to see what's going on.

I didn't have any issues with it sending messages although I've since turned it off and went back to Elve for my notifications.
I basically bought, and use, it just for the time sync. It was completely unbelievable that the board itself couldn't keep time. Mine would be over a half hour off if I didn't keep up with it. So far the time is holding perfectly.

Another suggestion though, the board should give feedback when sending the test messages. When I was having problems with it I wouldn't know if the message was sent or not unless you go to send it again, then it says "error". It should have a popup saying either "message sent" or "message not sent".

My 2 cents....
My notifier works great. I have the panel arm our office at night and disarm in the morning. I get emails when these happen reliably every day.
The subject field in the email is clear as well "security disarmed", "Zone Bypassed" (we leave a connecting door open - long story), "Security armed away" so I don't have to open the emails....
Very happy so far.

Back