Email notifier board

I am happy with the board so far, but would like to see the ability to set a static IP on the device.  We have some OPII boards running in an enterprise setting, and devices that receive a DHCP address are unable to send emails, and the networks that are allowed to send email do not have DHCP enabled.

Side Note:  Since installing the notifier board and new firmware, it takes longer to connect using PCA, and I see frequent retries.  Sometimes it will not connect at all.

Got mine installed, works as advertised.
I like the NTP function.

Just a hair too tall in a Leviton can with two hardwire expanders and the e-mail board stacked.
Can't decide yet whether I want to relocate the e-mail board or get the can extension, so I'm leaving the cover off for now.
I may make a 1/2" extension bracket with wood or aluminum tubing since I don't need 2".

I would like a way to customize the subject line from "Message" to something more specific such as "Omni Pro System Message" or something similar and a check box for high priority to flag the e-mail coming through. 

Well after a couple of days, I am getting inundated with system e-mails so I have to shut it off.
I want to know when a zone is tripped or in trouble, but don't need to see the bypassed/restored zone e-mails especially as individual e-mails.
Especially since I have an automated routine of bypassed and restored zones everytime the alarm is armed and disarmed.

I'd like to see more fine control of the system events, check marks for tripped, trouble, bypassed, etc.

I like the messages feature.
There are several things I log that I would like e-mails about.
The messages feature saves me from programming a send e-mail line for the logged events.

I'd like to see variables or wildcard formatting to send along data such as temperature or flag count values.

We can hope, but HAI/Leviton has a poor track record of enhancing add-on products after they have been released.

Tell me about it.
I just discovered that, on a 5.7e, if you have a date format user setting, you can only modify it on the touch screen up to a value of 9/31.
It won't accept any date for October through December on the change screen...even though you can enter 4 digits.

wgrm19776 said:
I am happy with the board so far, but would like to see the ability to set a static IP on the device.  We have some OPII boards running in an enterprise setting, and devices that receive a DHCP address are unable to send emails, and the networks that are allowed to send email do not have DHCP enabled.

Side Note:  Since installing the notifier board and new firmware, it takes longer to connect using PCA, and I see frequent retries.  Sometimes it will not connect at all.
Could you set a dhcp reservation based on the MAC?

Just an observation...  I received my Omni notifier board today and installed it by following the Leviton instruction sheet.  My first test message was unsuccessful.   I checked the board and noticed that the D1 light was blinking exceptionally fast, about 10 times a second.  So, I removed the power from the board by disconnecting the serial cable.  When I reconnected the serial cable, the D1 light blinked about once a second and I was finally able to successfully send an email message. 

The notifier board works fine once I powered off/on the board.

Also, I noticed in the Leviton instruction sheet that there is a field for "SMTP Requires Authentication".  I didn't see this field in my configuration.  I'm using version 3.13.0.752.

IMHO, the notifier board is a long overdue addition to the HAI product line.  I'm also very happy with the board.

BobS,

Blinking FAST = Trying to send an email. It will try to awhile and eventually time out if it can't. Rebooting will reset it.... Was this the first time the board was powered? Maybe it didn't have a DHCP address yet? I haven't seen that before, we'll look into it.

At one point we had an option for "SMTP Requires Authentication", but we removed it. Now if you enter a username/password, we assume we are going to use authentication. We need to update the documentation.

Yep, it was the first time the board was powered up.  I probably didn't give it enough time to time out.  It's been working flawlessly since that incident.

Wow - I am so glad that they finally have a solution to send email messages on events. I received my board on Friday and had it sending messages in about 20 minutes. Super simple install and setup.

Be sure to update the PC access software and controller firmware before you start.

Only two connections necessary - Serial port and Dedicated Ethernet. (Yea it sukz to lose a serial port to this but at the end of the day its worth it.) (you can't use port 1)

If you use gmail be sure to enter your full email address as the username.

Good tip for email message format: if you are using AT&T for cellular phone messaging use the format  MOBILENUMBER@mms.att.net instead of MOBILENUMBER@txt.att.net and then setup a address book contact in your iPhone with the email address that is associated with your account. Give the iphone address book contact a friendly name like "My House". You will be pleased with the display format of the incoming message.

The time clock drift on the Omni panels was horrible, so the automatic time sync is very useful.

The only couple of features that I would like are the ability to edit the subject and most importantly the ability to send variables in the body of the message. For example, "The temperature in the house is <ZONE1TEMP> and the outdoor temperature is <OUTDOORTEMP>." 

Well, I just found the perfect mounting solution for my e-mail board.

Reminder, I have an Omni Pro II with two Hardwire expanders stacked inside a 42" Leviton enclosure.
With the e-mail board stacked on top of the Hardwire expanders as detailed in the docs, it's too tall to get the can lid back on.
I considered using the Leviton 47612-42B extender bracket that adds depth to the can, but it's in a closet and I really didn't want it projecting from the wall any more than it already does.

So I've been running it with the lid off.

Today I took a look at it, and felt really dumb.

The e-mail board is the same size as the standard Leviton telephone and data routing modules.
Such as the 47603-C5 voice/cat 5 board.
LV47603C5.jpg

I happened to have an extra space on my bracket staring me in the face.
I removed the board from the Omni and snapped it right into the bracket.
Hooked up the LAN and a longer serial cable. It took all of 30 seconds to install. Easy.

I have the full width 47612-EBK bracket with my voice, DSL filter and data modules on it.
Now the email board is there too.
LV47612EBK.jpg

The e-mail board will also fit on a single space 47612-SBK.
LV47612SBK.jpg

Great idea DA!

I have a Leviton can next to the HAI can and a few of the brackets pictured in the Leviton can only used for telco, network and 1-wire stuff. 

This would work better for me as my HAI can is a bit congested these days.

I was also thinking I could mount it in my HAI video / touchscreen hub can as there is not much inside of that can to keep the HAI stuff inside of the HAI cans.  (one extra serial cable is really not an issue).

The Email Notifier board can send email, but can it check your email account and trigger an event when you receive an email?  its seems from the description that this is for outgoing emails only.

It transmits e-mail using your account.
It cannot receeive e-mail and take actions based on their content.

You may be able to do that with something like Haiku Helper.

I currently use CQC for my email checking and announcements, but I'll be moving and I was hoping to simplify my Home Automation life.  I do use Haiku Helper as well, and I plan to keep that (since it runs on my Mac Server which performs other functions as well.)  It looks like I need to learn the Haiku Helper scripting.

Back