Structured Panel to A/V Rack Connections

Yes technically you could; Out2 will play the siren sounds but will never do any of the voices or announcements.

If that's all you're after, you could wire in a piezo there and get more bang for your buck (and more decibels for almost no current draw).

Yes technically you could; Out2 will play the siren sounds but will never do any of the voices or announcements.

If that's all you're after, you could wire in a piezo there and get more bang for your buck (and more decibels for almost no current draw).

Good deal. Will test it out different ways and see what works best for me. Thanks!

Just snapped a quick picture of the progress thus far (forgot to remove the extra piece of velcro from the battery before I took the picture):

elkinstall1.jpg

I'd probably recommend using the 73, wired to OUT 2, since you already have it, then delay the activation on alarm for X amount of minutes. The speaker behind the keypad will start the sounds with the 73 following afterwards.

Piezo's are OK, however I've found that during a false alarm or similar it's really just going to add to the user's confusion. Personally, I think there's better ways to skin the cat rather than have your ears ring when an alarm (typically false) occurs. Maybe it's me, having to hear the beeps and horn strobes daily, but the less noise or even a gradual volume ramp would be much more preferable. Don't need to add another item to cause tinnitus within your own home.

Comfort to the installer is fine I suppose, but it's the least of my concerns. I don't mind bleeding ears if someone is in my home who shouldn't be. With the right rules in place to delay and only activate while away, it's never hit us while we were home.

Continuing my ELK installation, I ordered a XEP and the M1XSLZW last week. I wasn't exactly sure how I wanted to mount them in my Leviton cans having never used them before. I was really looking for a 3"H x full can width bracket to mount a few modules to a single mount, but no luck finding one. I thought about creating my own, but it was going to be more work than it was worth. After receiving them, I decided that I wanted to go ahead and mount them to SWP3s, so I followed up with another order. I had previously purchased a XSP from a fellow Cocooner... it as well as the M1XSLZW mounted perfectly to the SWP3s. However, the XEP didn't line up with enough holes for me... I read where others had mounted it using 3 of the stand-offs, which I suppose works fine, but I wanted more... I grabbed some ABS plastic that I had, cut it to size, drilled some holes, and mounted the XEP:

xepmounted.jpg

I now have each of these (XEP, M1XSLZW, and XSP) mounted in my Leviton can... Unfortunately (for the installation) I have some other obligations this weekend and don't know if I'm going to get a chance to work on any of this :(

Alright fellas... so I got the Elk powered on today. I got the XEP installed, and configured most of the Elk setup via ELK-RP (static IP). I don't yet have email or DynDNS setup, I figured I would tackle those items later. I moved on to trying to setup the XSLZW with the VRCOP (I do have the +3 version). I have had my Zwave network setup for some time and it works fine with the GE/Jasco handheld controller that I've got. Note, I've had the VRUSB-1US for some time, and the network was/is setup via the VRUSB as the primary. I added the VRCOP to the network as a secondary controller without any issue. However, I am getting error messages (for each device) when I attempt to set the Associations for the VRCOP. The instructions included with the XSLZW specifically state that doing so is a very important step. Any ideas?

Also, I've attempted to enroll the XSLZW (connected to a DBH) and the M1 is not finding it either... I assume that I should complete the Zwave setup first, but I figured this might also be worth mentioning. Curious about connections here... as stated, I am using a DBH. Am I correct to assume that the wiring should be identical to the keypad wiring? Specifically, (when using Cat5) should I combine A and A1 (Orange and Green), and B and B1 (White/Orange and White/Green)? I assumed so... but this is the only thing that I can think of that could be wrong in terms of wiring (and the XSLZW not enrolling properly.

I did want to update and state that I did get email working... which was a pretty simple setup, and took me all of about 5 minutes to setup and get working :)

However, still looking for help on the above mentioned issue(s) regarding the XSLZW.

This thread has certainly gone off topic since I first created it, but it just feels right to keep all of my questions/answers in a single location...

That said, I'm starting to get interested in getting my Elk monitored via NextAlarm or AlarmRelay. I have an XEP (but no VoIP service). Is an ABN also required?

I can't find any definite information regarding the need of one on the NextAlarm website, but the this page from AlarmRelay seems to indicate that I don't necessarily need one...

Also, the AlarmRelay FAQ section seems to indicate that they send our a technician for initial setup... can anyone confirm/deny this (particularly for network monitoring)?

There wasn't much movement here regarding the question above (monitoring), so I placed the question in the Security forum (here). It seems that Alarm Relay end up being my CS of choice.

In other news, I recently got my Garage Door Opener (GDO) wired to the Elk on-board relay and can now open/close it. Unfortunately, because I never thought of doing this before a few weeks ago, now I'm waiting on the Overhead Door (OHD) sensor to come in so I can actually monitor if the door is open/closed.

Wow, it's almost been a year since I've posted any update/progress to this thread... I know I've posted in other threads that I've been successfully using my Elk for about a year now. I'm probably about to program a microcontroller as an integration piece between my LG LCD TVs and the XSP; more information about that here.

In any case, I just went and snapped a quick picture of my Elk SMC and figured I'd share what it looks like today:
x7ak.jpg

Against Leviton's recommendation, I really want to make a custom RS-232 cable for the Leviton VRCOP, and move it outside the SMC. The cable would end up being a little longer than the pre-made cable, and that's what's really against there recommendation. Nonetheless, it works fine right now - even when the cover is on.

Nice work! So how much do you use the Elk for automation vs CQC? Maybe you could list some of the drivers/equipment leveraged by each as I'd really be interested in that info. Thanks.

dgage said:
Nice work! So how much do you use the Elk for automation vs CQC? Maybe you could list some of the drivers/equipment leveraged by each as I'd really be interested in that info. Thanks.

I own a CQC license, but I've actually never installed it... literally never installed CQC (including a trail). So, I'm doing everything via the Elk right now.

EDIT: I guess I could have elaborated more. Right now I've just got the XEP for remote access (via eKeypad); the XSLZW for interfacing with my Zwave network; and the XSP, which I'm currently trying to integrate with my LG TV(s).

I don't have a LOT of Zwave rules setup right now. I've got ones for our Christmas tree lights; on at sunset, and off at 9:30pm. I've got another for our son's (5mo old) nightlight; on at 7:30pm, off at ~6:00am. I use eKeypad to remotely control the main deadbolt when needed.

The issue that I found with automating the lights (at least for me) is that I don't have enough sensors to trigger events (e.g. occupancy sensors). So everything I've really done is time based. Unfortunately, we're not well scheduled from day-to-day, so there aren't many things that we need on 'timers'.

Last week I added an Elk-930 (doorbell detector). With the XSP, I'm planning to be able to know the status of my TV (on/off); if on what input (HDMI1/AV1). If the doorbell is rung and the TV is on, and on HDMI1, it will auto switch to AV1, displaying my CCTV system.

Something else that I want to add, but haven't spent the time to determine the logic and program, is to write a "Sleep" task, which checks if doors are closed, doors are locked, garage door is closed, locks deadbolts that aren't locked (but door is closed), and turns all of the lights off. The logic isn't all that complex, but it's a LOT of checking this, and if this, do this task, else do something else. Doing it from the Elk alone is possible, but a lot of lines of code, probably many counters or phantom outputs, and I just haven't spent the time to do it.

Something else that may be worth noting... many of you may recognize that is not an Elk enclosure. That's a Leviton 28" SMC; they were on closeout at my local Home Depot when I got them. They were cheap enough that I couldn't pass them up; my phone, cable, and networking are in a SMC just below this one... hence the pass through cable bundle on the left. 

Back