Woodworking thread

There are a couple styles I know of. One is the "pop-up" style that sits on fixed pads until you jack the base up and then it's on casters. From what I've seen they ussualy come as a complete base, like this one. The other way, and it is what I use the most, is the casters with the pivot lock and brake. I've always found these are stable enough for all my tools needs.

I am so not a woodworker so take this for what its worth, just my experience. Don't know how 'fancy' of an edge you are talking about but I just used a trim molding with a routed edge and I had no problem cutting/gluing/clamping it. I used a cheap HF version of this clamp. I'm sure you've probably seen them by now, but my frame pics are here, starting with 17.

Steve, that looks great. The clamp looks like it would work for what I'm thinking...I'm kicking myself because I got a strap clamp just yesterday. I'm going to see how it works out, but if I can't route the edge after it's glued up I'm going to order one of the clamps like you have. How did you mount the frame to the wall?

I still don't understand why you wouldn't route the raw stock then cut it and glue/clamp it but I'm sure you understand it better than me. I was afraid you were going to ask about my mounting. Since I think I was the first to put one of these in a wall and had nobody else to follow, I just did the first think I thought of using the supplied hardware (like dog ears). Since I had just the laundry room behind that wall I made an access hole behind it which I covered with a door. It actually makes it REALLY easy to get into it whenever I need to. Ok, so since I had access from the rear, and my panel had that black plastic bezel with holes in it, I actually used very short screws and screwed the frame on from behind thru the holes in the bezel. It worked great but its more permanent.

I like the magnet idea. If I had the header or footer I would probably drill 4 holes (2 each on header and footer near the ends) with a spade bit for a nice flat hole the depth of 2 magnets. Then I may glue 1 magnet in the bottom of each hole and put the second magnet on the frame at the same spots so you could 'guide' the frame and when the magnets line up with the holes they would grab and hold it. That should give a nice flush fit. Never did it, just off the top of my head so may be easier said than done.

Great topic, and great idea! I've got the tools, mostly, but not the skills yet! However, I've also been given a complete green light to learn and acquire the tools for making our own picture frames.

This is the cat's meow. I found a slightly broken one on Craigslist for $100 and spent another $10 for parts and an hour or so tinkering to get it running. 2 minute frame assembly! It's awesome...

Brian

The idea of equipment on wheels really appeals (haha!), just from a space usage vantage point. But how do you put stuff on wheels and then have it immobile when using it? Do the wheels retract, or do you use those wheels that have a built-in brake, and is that good enough?
Wheels mounted on one end, slightly above the ground. Lift the other end a bit and it rolls!

I've used casters from Woodcraft and HD/Lowes, for my wood bases (worktable, workbench). Locking wheels have worked fine so far. The wire shelves from Costco came with locking casters.

There is 1 item in the workshop that is not mobile - my wife's dead grandfather's old giant desk. The thing must be 250 pounds. I'll have to get creative with that. Maybe 2 mobile bases will do the trick.

My worktable is 2 large former bathroom vanities, back to back, mounted on 3/4" MDF, on casters. Almost 4 x 8'. Challenge to build, mostly because of different heights.

My HA projects were on hold for a while, because I was putting together my workshop. Now, my workshop is being held up by my HA projects. :)

M1 and Nuvo GC are now a green light, though now I have to 'ring out' 30 cables running to my existing alarm controller. I won't have an excuse to buy an electric tool until the new alarm and DA are installed.

I picked up a couple of old 1960's type all-metal desks for $5 apiece...geez those things are heavy. But they make a great bench for the drill press.

Ya, the wheels on one side is a good idea...just tip and wheel around. I think I'm going to have to settle on one location for my bandsaw though..it's awful top heavy as-is, and it's probably rare I'm going to need a lot of room around it.

I'm guessing probably the most likely item to be put on wheels is the table saw, huh? Since it can be used for anything from 2 X 4 to plywood sheets. I found a Delta 10" table saw for $50 on craigslist...but I can't get the Ministress of Finance to go for it...we're in lockdown mode, due to our current outdoor shed project going way over budget. Oh well.

Here's a fun topic to discuss, though: Lasers!

The reason I have all the stuff I do now is my cousin and I got on a kick of building up a decent wood workshop (we've since divided up the stuff, since we' live farther apart now). Of course, being techies, most everything we bought that HAD a laser on it, we got. That ended up being only the mitre saw and drill press, as it turns out. But there are other pieces out there with lasers, and I'm curious what the thinking is here on their usefulness.

He ended up with the mitre saw, and I got the drill press, and I've already noticed that I don't often use the laser. I think I've found I'd have to adjust it every time, which is a pain. The more amusing thing I noticed is that all of these online or DIY tv channel shows that have these woodworking experts...never show THEM using any equipment with lasers on them. In fact, they more often seem to favor the very old pieces of equipment vs. anything newer.

So, are laser guides at all useful, have you found them to be so, or are they just another gimmick that really don't help you make accurate cuts??

I use "laser" pointers for lectures, but that's about it. I'll probably start out with wood tools that I pick up cheaply (Craigslist, clearance, etc), and replace as needed, down the road.

"You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!"

I have B&D laser level that is super handy. Projects a nice laser line along the wall.

But on a tool, I think you have already pinpointed the weakness.... might be a little better with a chopsaw where you are not always changing the cutter.

Generally, if I have to make more than one cut the same, I'll jig it anyways.

Oh ya, on other tools, sure, lasers are great (especially levels). Even the laser on my circular saw is kinda handy...mainly for making sure you're heading the right direction. But on woodshop-type equipment...I'm thinking it's an added expense that is more style than substance.

Welp, I didn't have any problems routing the frame after it was glued up. You can see a couple burn marks that will come out during sanding, but that's mainly from my cheap Chinese router bits than anything. Man, those things and get expensive. So next I'm going to sand it up, do a little bit of puddying in on corner (3 out of 4 miters aint bad :) ), and then look into the magnetic mounting option. I'm only vaguely worried about having a strong rare earth magnet permanently by my touchscreen monitor...

GreenFrame.JPG

I'd love to do some woodworking, such as developing a headrest with rope lights all around it, including having a sconce built-in to it, along with Z-Wave light switch.

It'd also be cool to have a board (painted white) that can be mounted in the wall with sconce and a Z-Wave dimmer (when enclosed with plywood behind the wires for safety). It can have a wire sticking out when it comes to plugging into an electrical outlet.

But sadly, I live in an apartment, so loud noises can be distracting to other neighbors. :)

Who're you referring to? I don't have the tools to do the woodworking, but if only I have the electric-based tools that are not that distracting to other neighbors...

Back