Woodworking thread

Dang...that IS some nice work.

Ya, table and mitre saw are both on the list. I had favored getting a mitre saw first, just because of how often I need to just simply cross-cut a piece of wood to a new length, and I figured it'd be easier than using my circular saw. So I'm not talking anything at ALL in the way of quality woodworking.

I didn't see the usefulness of a tablesaw much for what I've been doing so far, but again, that's been grade level 1 carpentry. I'll keep my eyes open for one then, though there's currently a financial ban on new equipment.

Any serious woodworker should get a quality table saw before nearly any other tool. It's the primary tool you'll use for quality work. If you're going to be doing picture frames, then you should look at a good miter gage.
There's a bunch of good reviews on the net. I recently purchased an Incra miter gage and it's a quality piece, but there's a few other good ones out there too. Expect to spend at least $100 on a decent one.
The miter gages that come with most table saws suck.

Thanks guys. ;-)

Favourite brands- I guess I have more Delta than anything else. . . I am still using an old Craftsman tablesaw I picked up for ~100 (used) in like 1991. I did upgrade the fence though. Delta is nice because you can get parts for a long time- these days, quality is not what it used to be though, especially for their smaller tools. I don't get too hung up on it.

I got a miter saw when I laid our hardwoods. For carpentry, it is the more used tool, for sure. For miters, well. . . I hate miters. ;-) The problem I have with the chop saw is getting the miter to fit all the way around. I inevitably accumulate too much error and the frame isn't tight in all four corners. The picture framing pros use stuff like this to get it right. The tablesaw jigs are supposed to be the next best thing. The REAL best thing is to just stop making them. ;-)

86turbodsl- how well does the incra work for frames? If you cut four pieces at 45, do they square up perfect with no gaps?

Thanks guys. ;-)

Favourite brands- I guess I have more Delta than anything else. . . I am still using an old Craftsman tablesaw I picked up for ~100 (used) in like 1991. I did upgrade the fence though. Delta is nice because you can get parts for a long time- these days, quality is not what it used to be though, especially for their smaller tools. I don't get too hung up on it.

I got a miter saw when I laid our hardwoods. For carpentry, it is the more used tool, for sure. For miters, well. . . I hate miters. ;-) The problem I have with the chop saw is getting the miter to fit all the way around. I inevitably accumulate too much error and the frame isn't tight in all four corners. The picture framing pros use stuff like this to get it right. The tablesaw jigs are supposed to be the next best thing. The REAL best thing is to just stop making them. ;-)

86turbodsl- how well does the incra work for frames? If you cut four pieces at 45, do they square up perfect with no gaps?

I have a Grizzly G1023S table saw and I am really happy with it. I have a few other Grizzly tools and some are not as good as others but they all work pretty well. With my Forrest blade and some tweaking of the setup the table saw makes some really nice cuts.

Eric

I have a Grizzly G1023S table saw and I am really happy with it. I have a few other Grizzly tools and some are not as good as others but they all work pretty well. With my Forrest blade and some tweaking of the setup the table saw makes some really nice cuts.

Eric

That is a NICE piece of equipment- I've had my eye on one (left tilt though) since they were like $700- never been able to make myself pull the trigger. ;-) Too many other toys!!

The picture framing pros use stuff like this to get it right.

From the trimmer page:
Set the right gauge to the 45 degrees mark (factory preset), and trim off a 1/16" (give or take) of material with the Lion Miter Trimmer.

How are you supposed to end up with 2 sides the exact same length if you're using that trimmer to trim off 1/16", give or take??

Couple cents worth:

I actually picked up the Lowes strap clamp...was desperate to get this frame done (with the 15" hole in the wall and all). It worked fine, but for the price I could have gotten a much better clamp.

I agree a tablesaw is an important tool to have in the shop, but I suggest a miter saw first. A guide system and a circ saw can do a great job on sheet goods and a router/router table can do alot of the dados and rabbits the tablesaw excels at.

My miters are always off, this picture frame was the best I've done and it still was off. I use the pencil and sanding trick to make them fit sungger. Ie draw a scribble down the mitered face and sand away the protruding side until the pencil mark is gone. Again, I definitely haven't mastered it, but this one was the best yet :)

On my table saw I got the a fore mentioned Incra miter gauge and it's great. If you get a table saw it only makes sense to invest in a couple pieces of equipment like an upgraded miter gauge, saw alignment gauge like the Superbar, a dado set, and one or two feather boards.

As to brands, I like Dewalt and Bosch. The problem with the $100 sliding miter saw is its not beefy enough to not deflect when it's extended, so the runout on your cuts is going to be pretty high.

And any guy that does dovetail joinery is way more advanced than me :pray:

In defense of the $99 saw, it's actually a $150 saw. :pray:

Agreed, though, that it is cheap. We'll see how it works.

From the trimmer page:
Set the right gauge to the 45 degrees mark (factory preset), and trim off a 1/16" (give or take) of material with the Lion Miter Trimmer.

How are you supposed to end up with 2 sides the exact same length if you're using that trimmer to trim off 1/16", give or take??

Not sure what they mean by that. I know I've read that you can take a paper thin piece off. . ..
Further down they mention accessories to let you trim to exact sizes- probably some sort of fence/stop system.

@royalj7

Dovetails are actually pretty easy- just need some time and a steady hand with the saw. And some practice! ;-)

On the table/miter saw- I just can't remember many projects where I haven't needed to rip a board, which is a pita (if even possible) with a circular saw... I did use a circular saw instead of a miter saw to rough cut for a long time. Router table can indeed stand in for most of the milling functions of a tablesaw, esp. with the big moose modern routers, as long as you are willing to go a little slower.

I have a dewalt (aforementioned big moose) router and cordless driver drill I am very happy with. No bosch yet.

Thanks guys. ;-)

I've got a powermatic 66 table saw, and if you dial it in right, and setup your miter gage right, your miters will be perfect. *IF* you make all 4 corners perfect 45's, and all the same length, you'll get a perfect frame. Mess up any one, and it won't work. I've got a 10" SCMS and I find they are not nearly accurate enough for precision work. If you want furniture quality, you need to move up a step in accuracy. I hate sloppy miters, so I avoid them when I can, and just really work hard at precision when I use the miter gage. The incra works quite well, but it's got to be carefully used.

I guess I caught a little bit of the woodworking love from my grandfather who was into building musical instruments (violin / viola) and grandfather clocks ie: highly precision crafting. I just inherited his first violin he made and will probably over the winter, build a display cabinet for it until my kids are old enough to actually use it.

I look around and have come to the realization that I have collected a lot of tools over the years :)
Wood / Metal / Welding / Automotive / motorsports / Garden / heavy equipment / electronic / marine etc. Man does it add up.

Worst mistake was building a barn that allows me to continue collecting :(

One of the favorite tools (to other some of the prior posts in this thread) was a Jet 50 inch table saw:
http://woodworking.jettools.com/Products.a...&cat=333597
I used to have a Delta contractor table which was fine for plywood, but sucked for anything finer. Nice to set the fence and rip and have it right and square when you're done.

Oxy welder rig comes up as one of the better tool investments. Man, does it get one out of a jamb...

Dewalt miter saw (and table) was also a great tool investment. I do wish that I bought mine when the newer Double bevel sliding miter saws were available.

I spent too much money on Craftsman power tools...not one would I call a good tool in retrospect. Their hand tools are OK, but also not great. If I didn't loose hand tools as much as I seem to, then I would upgrade.

Current tools on the horizon are a Tig welder (why not?) and a planing mill (haven't done the research yet on what flavor). I wish I had more fix it jobs to substantiate buying the Tig.

I look around and have come to the realization that I have collected a lot of tools over the years :)
Wood / Metal / Welding / Automotive / motorsports / Garden / heavy equipment / electronic / marine etc. Man does it add up.

I love to cruise Craigslist looking for deals, the old machines are the best. I picked this monster sander up about two weeks ago for $125.

IMG_0021.JPG

When the guy asked me what project I needed it for I said "Project? I'm just trying to collect more tools than the other guy...."

Brian

Welp, went out and picked up a new drill last weekend. Ended up with the Bosch 12V Cordless with the chuck. Went with that particular one for a couple reasons, but mainly because I had the cordless screwdriver and impact wrench already and the batteries are interchangeable. Also, it had been $150 for the longest time and recently dropped twenty bucks. I haven't used it heavily since buying, but it seems like a quality tool (I've never had a Bosch that didn't though). The weight and feel is nice and it seems to have enough power for most of the drilling tasks I have. I wouldn't try to drive Tapcons into block with it, but it drove a 2 1/2" screw into some MDF with no problem.

So, my tool need has been satisfied for a while longer B) Next will be a inexpensive benchtop drill press I think.

Back