Premise Premise Browser very slow from networked PCs

Motorola Premise

Shinyshoes

I am trying to get the premise browser to load on some of my networked PCs and ran into some problems. I have read other threads that say it might be and activex issue but I think this one is different.

I have a dedicated PC for premise. When I access the premise browser from the local pc it works great (from localhost or from the computer's dns name) if i try to access it from any other networked pc, it takes literally 2 hours to load. the screen immediately gets the "Premise Browser" in the title bar of internet explorer and resizes the window, but then it sits and waits. After the 2 hour wait period, it loads and works fine.

I have both manually registered and let IE load the Activex and it didn't seem to help. I even put the Premise PC address into "Trusted sites" and lowered the security to low. Still takes 2 hours.

Anyone have any ideas?

Wow! Two hours!?! You have a great deal of patience. After one minute of waiting I would've concluded it had failed.

I've never experienced this problem with Premise Browser so I don't have a ready solution for you.

I doubt the ActiveX plugin is to blame. If the required ActiveX is not loaded on the networked PC, the home-page loads anyway, lickety-split, and is followed by a pop-up indicating the PC's browser needs the ActiveX. However you can test this theory by trying Premise's MiniBrowser which runs without any plugins. Just point the networked PC's browser to your Premise Server using http://YourPremiseServerIP/ppc. BTW, you might want to check if the PPC site is available before making any conclusions about the test. Using Builder, go to WebServer> Sites>Default Web Site> Roots> PPC. If there's no PPC use whatever else you find there (MB, XB, etc).

BTW, I assume your Premise Server is using port 80 rather than its alternate (port 86)? It seems like some sort of bandwidth-throttling is in effect but I have no idea what would be responsible for strangling port 80.

Just a thought, if the PC running Premise has an alternate web-server (like Win XP Pro) you can disable the Premise service and then fire up the alternate web-server. Assuming the alternate web-server has a home page of some sort, try accessing it from a networked PC and compare the performance. It might shed some light on the source of the throttling.

same result using the ppc website in premise. I have tried this on both a win xp box and a windows 7 box with the same results. Its not a dns issue because if I use the IP address I get the same....

Just a thought, if the PC running Premise has an alternate web-server (like Win XP Pro) you can disable the Premise service and then fire up the alternate web-server.

Win XP has an alternate web server? Like one built in? Please enlighten me, or are you talking about a 3rd party.

I was going to suggest that you ensure you're using 32 bit internet explorer, but if minibrowser doesn't work, I'm thinking it's a firewall or network issue. I've never had any issues using AB, MB or PPC...

sigh.... I hate problems like this. I turned off the firewall on both computers and it still hangs. I'm going to have to isolate both computers with a crossover cable or onto 1 hub and try then....this could take a while.

hmmm...UAC is disabled? Lets walk thru this. Webserver_default web site...port 86. alternate port 86. Host address is the host Premise Server ip address. host. localhost Authenticate->never.
If you hit the ppc (ip address:port/ppc), does it still hang? If so, it's not the ActiveX issue.
What is your Premise server running? I'm assuming default installation?

Alberta? Hey, a fellow Canuck!
  1. Open XP's Services application and stop the 'Premise SYS Server' and 'Premise SYS Monitor' services. For this test, we don't want Premise to be active.
  2. Double-click each of the two Premise services and change their 'Startup Type' from 'Automatic' to 'Manual'. For this test, we don't want Premise's services to automatically restart after a reboot.
  3. Open XP's Control Panel and select 'Add or Remove Programs'.
  4. Select 'Add or Remove Windows Components'.
  5. Enable 'Internet Information Services'.
  6. Click Next and wait for IIS to be installed (the PC may need to be rebooted).
Open IE and point it to http://localhost. You should see IIS's default web-page and the performance ought to be very good. Now view it from a networked PC and let us know how it performs.

If you re-enable the Premise services with IIS installed, Premise will detect that port 80 is in use (by IIS) and will use port 86. To access Premise Browser, you'll need to append the port number to the URL as follows: http://YourPremiseServerIP:86

Just loaded IIS and the default page loads in a snap. re-enabled the premise services and it has been over 30 min and it still hasn't loaded. It should be noted that the title bar on the tab immediatly changes to "Premise Browser" so I think the connection is fine. I am still wondering if it is an activex issue, but not to do with the firewall or IE security settings. I'm going to uninstall and re-install premise and see if that solves my issues. I'll post my results when I get it done.......

I just finished re-installing premise and with the default installation it worked fine. I then loaded my settings that I exported just before I reinstalled and it worked fine too. I guess somthing must have been corrupted or whatever, but re-installing premise seems to have solved it.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Back